White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Balta, a claim on waivers is a trade. You still agree to conditions, just as in a trade. The only difference is that if you claim a player on waivers, you would assume the remaining money left on that contract. It does not stand to reason, however, that you would assume money owed from previous years of employment with another team. That's a huge leap you're making.

If indeed you are correct, that the claim would expose the White Sox to $26.5 (of the total $45 million) million in liability from the contract Manny signed with the Dodgers in 09'.

And again, if that is the case, then no one will claim him on waivers, and so it's simply a moot point.

The phrase I'm reading is that the team putting the waiver claim on them "assumes the balance of the contract". I think it's the $26.5 million, if that's what's still on there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
The phrase I'm reading is that the team putting the waiver claim on them "assumes the balance of the contract". I think it's the $26.5 million, if that's what's still on there.

I think you're on crack, but hey, my guess is we'll find out soon enough.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
Don't forget waivers till August 30th.

Which should make all those who want so badly to keep Dayan around happy because he really can't be traded after today unless it's to the Orioles same goes for Santos, Torres, Flowers and probably Nunez.