White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
Well let me ask you this? To keep Manny would you sign him 2 years for 20 million?

Once again, depends on how the rest of the roster plays out, how well he plays the rest of the way, what trade options are out there, what the max payroll can be, etc.

I mean, we havent even seen Manny bat yet, so kinda unfair to ask that.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it matter how he plays the rest of the way?

You know his age and his stats and his health of this season to go on. Does one month really matter that much?

Is it the same with Paulie? Would you judge whether he's worth it on the next month? You are not convinced he's worth a two year deal after this awesome season? I'm convinced Paulie is worth a two-year deal at a minimum of 7 mill per season.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
Well let me ask you this? To keep Manny would you sign him 2 years for 20 million?

I think that'd be a huge mistake.

Manny needs to stay motivated. 2/20 would probably be his last contract, and would provide him with 0 motivation.

1 year 10, maybe.

If you want him back, the contract needs to be mostly incentive based.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
Why does it matter how he plays the rest of the way?

You know his age and his stats and his health of this season to go on. Does one month really matter that much?

Is it the same with Paulie? Would you judge whether he's worth it on the next month? You are not convinced he's worth a two year deal after this awesome season? I'm convinced Paulie is worth a two-year deal at a minimum of 7 mill per season.

Jeez dude, its one part of the equation. I wouldnt ever blindly give someone a position on my team, especially sign someone, because of a month of play. But that doesnt mean I wouldnt look at it. What if Manny looks absolutely silly at the plate with us? Of course that would make an impact. Just like Konerko's big year makes it much more likely that the Sox would negotiate an extension after the season.

Do you not see what happened to AJ? Seriously man, you ignore so many points and just focus on what you want to say or what you perceive as posters bashing your heroes. As a GM, you have to take the emotion out of it for the most part, and see it as a business decision. First off, does Konerko even accept that offer? He is having a tremendous year, he probably wants to cash out one more time, that may not be enough. Do you even have $7 million to afford to a 35 yr old 1B, especially with such an albatross that is the starting rotation? There are so many factors you ahve to consider, not just "Do I want this player back?"

The question is: "Is the investment of this player worth the risk, money, and resources it will pull from other key areas while having a replacement ready?" Thats a big question with a lot of parts to it.

Do you not see what happened to AJ? Seriously man, you ignore so many points and just focus on what you want to say or what you perceive as posters bashing your heroes

Then I'm copying every other poster on here. I've been victimized by the same thing, people misrepresenting my posts and/or not remembering my position on things.

Another good rip piece on Manny by Passon on the cover of yahoo.

He would only speak in Spanish today, even though he has no problem with English. Cora who had to translate said he had no idea why Manny insisted on Spanish.

He also intimated it was Manny's call not to play cause of the early wake up call.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 01:41 AM)
Another good rip piece on Manny by Passon on the cover of yahoo.

He would only speak in Spanish today, even though he has no problem with English. Cora who had to translate said he had no idea why Manny insisted on Spanish.

He also intimated it was Manny's call not to play cause of the early wake up call.

I'm sure he wanted Cora "translating" in case he said something that would cause problems, Joey, who I believe is an ex teammate of his, could clean it up for him, and maybe give a "White Sox" answer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 06:55 AM)
I'm sure he wanted Cora "translating" in case he said something that would cause problems, Joey, who I believe is an ex teammate of his, could clean it up for him, and maybe give a "White Sox" answer.

Which he did.

Im not concerned about all this exterior stuff. Manny is right, they brought him to play baseball. If he does his job, then nobody cares that Manny is Manny. So now it is up to Manny to play baseball

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
Yea, because blindly signing Konerko to a longterm contract at 35 sounds really good to me. I love Konerko, but you have to be careful with the contract you offer him, even 3 years is incredibly risky.

And dont compare to Jeter, Jeter isnt worth close to what he is getting, and the Yankees are resigning him to that because they can. If Jeter falls apart after a contract extension, the Yankees can afford that. The Sox, it would be much harder for them to recover.

On the topic of Manny, he is an instant boost to our playoff chances, Ill gladly take that risk of him being a team nuisance because if he is as good as he has been, we are talking about playoffs, if he doesnt play well and or is a distraction, hes gone at the end of the year.

That's exactly the point. If the Sox have an additional $4M to throw out for 30 games, management can no longer claim it's hard to recover when a big contract doesn't pan out. I also personally believe Konerkjo is the standard-bearer for the franchise and should be treated as such. As for "diminished range" and "Kasey Kotchman=comparable" noted in other posts...please...who have you been watching this year?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 12:52 AM)
Then I'm copying every other poster on here. I've been victimized by the same thing, people misrepresenting my posts and/or not remembering my position on things.

Thus you continue to ignore reasonably argued points and just say "Hey! Im a victim on here!"

No wonder why so many will single you out in discussions.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 07:51 AM)
That's exactly the point. If the Sox have an additional $4M to throw out for 30 games, management can no longer claim it's hard to recover when a big contract doesn't pan out. I also personally believe Konerkjo is the standard-bearer for the franchise and should be treated as such. As for "diminished range" and "Kasey Kotchman=comparable" noted in other posts...please...who have you been watching this year?

THe Sox believe that Manny will get them to the playoffs, thus hopefully canceling out the extra $4 million he costs. This is money that KW likes to save during the season for a player likes this in a situation like this. If the Sox are in it, KW will have some money to work with. $4 million may have been more than he really had saved, but still, it is his philosophy.

I'd like to see Konerko back, and I think a contract along the lines of 2/$14 million would be fine. In my opinion, he is a pretty good first baseman, albeit with limited range. But I'll take his glove along with his bat for $7 or $8 million a year.

As far as Manny goes, I wouldn't even hazard to say whether or not to sign him for next year. Let's see him hit this month and then discuss it. However, I agree with someone else's post that any contract for Manny would have to be heavily incentive-laden. He needs motivation to play hard. If he's signed for 2 years $20 million, he's not going to be overly motivated.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
I'd like to see Konerko back, and I think a contract along the lines of 2/$14 million would be fine. In my opinion, he is a pretty good first baseman, albeit with limited range. But I'll take his glove along with his bat for $7 or $8 million a year.

As far as Manny goes, I wouldn't even hazard to say whether or not to sign him for next year. Let's see him hit this month and then discuss it. However, I agree with someone else's post that any contract for Manny would have to be heavily incentive-laden. He needs motivation to play hard. If he's signed for 2 years $20 million, he's not going to be overly motivated.

At his age and health, I would only offer a one year deal, filled with incentives, and possibly a player option if he wins us a championship (like he was the MVP the rest of the way, and clicked with the team chemistry wise). The thing is, when the team isnt winning and he isnt playing for a contract, that is when trouble starts because the little things he does then get blown up.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
At his age and health, I would only offer a one year deal, filled with incentives, and possibly a player option if he wins us a championship (like he was the MVP the rest of the way, and clicked with the team chemistry wise). The thing is, when the team isnt winning and he isnt playing for a contract, that is when trouble starts because the little things he does then get blown up.

Something like $5-7.5 million basic contract level, $5 million for making the All-Star team, $5 million if the White Sox made the playoffs...I just don't think Manny, Boras or the player's union would approve of those types of deals, always preferring the guaranteed money.

Or simply $5 million for hitting 30 homers or 100 RBI's, or $1 million for every 10 RBI's, something like that...

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)

That's how I feel.

I also think he's as good a first baseman as you do. I actually love watching the guy play first base. Maybe cause I played it some along with third and I just loved scooping balls out and saving runs. The key is to make it look so simple and make it automatic and he does. He also has a great glove on grounders, must have great vision and "normally" fields everything so cleanly.

Edited by greg775