White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
hahaha okay i guess they might. i didn't really think that through, i just thought they'd be pretty eager to get him off the books until theyve got a team worth building around

what their plan is/was with Dunn is to get young pitching to bolster around Strausburg.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
Anyone know the average number that guys sign for where the two compensation picks would fall?

Here's the list from last year.

You'll note...some of the guys always wind up retiring or resigning with their original team, and a lot of guys (i.e. JD) don't get offered arbitration.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
Here's the list from last year.

You'll note...some of the guys always wind up retiring or resigning with their original team, and a lot of guys (i.e. JD) don't get offered arbitration.

I was thinking more along the lines of what it would cost to sign the actual draft picks the Nats would receive if Dunn signed elsewhere. I'm not sure if it's a lot and a team might want to be able to have scouted prospects in pro ball than sign two kids right out of HS or college for a decent chunk of change, but I'm not sure how much those picks actually would cost.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
Then why did they keep asking for Beckham.

I don't think it was the final plan and the only one they would settle on, I heard it form a Nats beat reporter on the Score a few weeks ago when Dunn's name started being floated around.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Yes he is.

Look at Cantu's numbers since the beginning of the year.

Over his last 46 games, he's done this...

His July splits?

.241/.268/.291

His June splits?

.245/.303/.378

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
I don't think it was the final plan and the only one they would settle on, I heard it form a Nats beat reporter on the Score a few weeks ago when Dunn's name started being floated around.

If the Nats were going to cut the price it would have happened by yesterday.

heyman just quoted KW as saying we WILL get a bat - probably dunn - but SOMEONE for sure.

EDIT: Haha jumping to conclusions - said yesterday by a friend of KWs. means nothing.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
I was thinking more along the lines of what it would cost to sign the actual draft picks the Nats would receive if Dunn signed elsewhere. I'm not sure if it's a lot and a team might want to be able to have scouted prospects in pro ball than sign two kids right out of HS or college for a decent chunk of change, but I'm not sure how much those picks actually would cost.

You're implying that the Nationals are flat broke. They already have a cheap roster and Rizzo is going to be a GM that looks outside FA for the most part to fill out his roster. That means draft and international prospects. Now if the rumors are true, he is being a dbag about it.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
SI_JonHeyman jackson for dunn is still a possibility. but nationals want #chisox to add another player or 2

8 minutes ago

who going to pitch? torres? Harrel?

I would guess Torres, not that he's awesome, but I think the Sox would go with that, or see if someone passes through waivers.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
heyman just quoted KW as saying we WILL get a bat - probably dunn - but SOMEONE for sure.

EDIT: Haha jumping to conclusions - said yesterday by a friend of KWs. means nothing.

I will be sad if we have to give up Viciedo for a rental.

I'd rather just install him as DH and say screw it.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
You're implying that the Nationals are flat broke. They already have a cheap roster and Rizzo is going to be a GM that looks outside FA for the most part to fill out his roster. That means draft and international prospects. Now if the rumors are true, he is being a dbag about it.

no, I'm not implying that at all... I'm asking how much the draft picks would cost... every team, barring the NYY and Bos are budget minded. I would think some teams would rather take guys who played in proball than spend money on a HS or college kid.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
I would guess Torres, not that he's awesome, but I think the Sox would go with that, or see if someone passes through waivers.

I would guess a combination of both. Torres becomes the 5th starter and you look to upgrade through waivers, there should be some pitchers out there.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
Harrel looked like a future Cy Young winner last night....he can get the job done.

future cy youngs dont have 6 walks and 1 strikeout in their debut. Future cy youngs have debuts like Strasburg

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
future cy youngs dont have 6 walks and 1 strikeout in their debut. Future cy youngs have debuts like Strasburg

you maaaay have taken his post a tad too seriously. just a hunch.