White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
Heyman reports Menny would go to the Sox but Dodgers want big prospects back?

Would you guys do it ?!

Depends on the big prospect. I want to hold on to Dayan now.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
Heyman reports Menny would go to the Sox but Dodgers want big prospects back?

Would you guys do it ?!

No way.

Why? This is why...

if Ramirez does not opt out, he receives $5M in 2010 and $15M in 3 installments of $3,333,333 each on June 30, 2011 and 2012, and $8,333,333 on June 30, 2013

You can now understand why Kenny wanted to give up nothing in return.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)
I don't want Manny Ramirez for $16 million. That's ridiculous.

The Dodgers would love to do this deal, but they have to save face and get SOMEBODY back.

I think they should acknowledge the money they will be saving going forward. Lets face it, they are in much better shape financially and defensively in the next couple years with Manny out of LF

As Caufield says, Ramirez gets $15 million deferred from now until 2013. This would be an incredible salary dump for the Dodgers. If you get a deal like this done, you cannot give up anybody worthwhile. We're already f***ed with our salary next year, we can't really afford to spend this much money on a 2 month rental, let alone give up talent.

Manny can still hit and get on-base. He's be a huge addition to this ballclub. I'm going to paraphrase a nice point that was brought up in the Brett Myers discussion, "no one is going to care if he's an angel, if he's batting cleanup for the Sox in the 2nd round of the playoffs."

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Manny can still hit and get on-base. He's be a huge addition to this ballclub. I'm going to paraphrase a nice point that was brought up in the Brett Myers discussion, "no one is going to care if he's an angel, if he's batting cleanup for the Sox in the 2nd round of the playoffs."

They will care if he runs out of needles.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
I'd also like an explanation how it works in his case, please.

Basically...it's 100% up to the team acquiring him as to how much they'd pay. The Sox could strike a deal where they assume all of the remaining obligations, or the Sox and Dodgers could come up with an agreement where the Sox pay certain payments and the Dodgers pay other ones.

If no move is made prior to the end of the season, the Dodgers pay all of the deferred money. If a move is made, it could be anywhere from none of his contract to all of his contract that they have to pay...it would be specified in the exact deal.

That's where it all comes down to how desperate are the McCourts to get out of that $15 million, how much can KW offer, how much of it will be deferred and how much in "present dollars" (would the Sox give up) and would there be any prospects going to the Dodgers.

They have to give the Dodgers SOMETHING, it can't just be a monetary transaction.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
I imagine he's offf his cyle by now. The injuries imply it, but the numbers are still there. I'm willing to take the risk, if the asking price isn't too high.

Doesn't mean i'm not going to bash him for being a juicer.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
I think they should acknowledge the money they will be saving going forward. Lets face it, they are in much better shape financially and defensively in the next couple years with Manny out of LF

But can you imagine the reaction of the average fan to them giving away Manny for nothing? They don't know about Manny's contract status like some of us do.

They have to get somebody worthwhile back. This has a lot of PR implications to it I imagine.