White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

Wait, so the topic of conversation around here of late has been the $31M that Manny deferred over a 16 year span starting in 2011 when he signed his RED SOX extension, right? What about the extra $25M left in deferred money that the DODGERS gave him in 2009 that runs through 2013?

# for 2009, Ramirez receives $10M in 2009 and $15M in 3 installments of $5M paid each June 30, 2010 to 2012

# if Ramirez does not opt out, he receives $5M in 2010 and $15M in 3 installments of $3,333,333 each on June 30, 2011 and 2012, and $8,333,333 on June 30, 2013

Manny has like $56M in deferred money coming to him between now and 2026. I find this all just unbelievably confusing.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
Wait, so the topic of conversation around here of late has been the $31M that Manny deferred over a 16 year span starting in 2011 when he signed his RED SOX extension, right? What about the extra $25M left in deferred money that the DODGERS gave him in 2009 that runs through 2013?

# for 2009, Ramirez receives $10M in 2009 and $15M in 3 installments of $5M paid each June 30, 2010 to 2012

# if Ramirez does not opt out, he receives $5M in 2010 and $15M in 3 installments of $3,333,333 each on June 30, 2011 and 2012, and $8,333,333 on June 30, 2013

Manny has like $56M in deferred money coming to him between now and 2026. I find this all just unbelievably confusing.

No. The conversation is about the $25 million from his Dodgers contract.

We are assuming the Red Sox money is no longer relevant because the terms of that playing contact have expired. I believe the Dodgers agreed not to pick up the club options for 2009 and 2010 when they traded for Manny.

Edit: I have been asking your ass to weigh in on this s*** for a few days now :)

Double edit:

ESPN

Ramirez was in the final guaranteed year of an eight-year, $160 million contract, and the Red Sox held $20 million options for the next two seasons. As part of the trade, the club options were eliminated.
Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
No. The conversation is about the $25 million from his Dodgers contract.

We are assuming the Red Sox money is no longer relevant because the terms of that playing contact have expired. I believe the Dodgers agreed not to pick up the club options for 2009 and 2010 when they traded for Manny.

Edit: I have been asking your ass to weigh in on this s*** for a few days now :)

it's worth noting that the same B & B sources who said "only White Sox" are also saying they would not be claiming him, he has to clear and they'll work something out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
No one is going to claim Manny. I would normally say pass, but anything to get Kotsay out of the line up. I don't understand why Viciedo cannot DH.

Maybe if they had a translator they'd realize his jokes and locker room antics are just as good for team chemistry.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
it's worth noting that the same B & B sources who said "only White Sox" are also saying they would not be claiming him, he has to clear and they'll work something out.

Yeah, we have been talking about this since Saturday....I don't think anyone would claim him, although I think the White Sox should claim him to avoid the crazy Rays from claiming him. I think it's worth the $7 million hit if you can assure yourself that you or no one else will get the player.

However, if that deferred money comes into play, you're talking $25+ million owed to him...no one can claim him then, and LA would be free to try and work something out with whomever will agree to take on the most $.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
No one is going to claim Manny. I would normally say pass, but anything to get Kotsay out of the line up. I don't understand why Viciedo cannot DH.

IMO, Manny would be huge for us in the Postseason. Having him in the middle of that lineup, as opposed to even Viciedo, would be worth the $3-4 million it's probably going to cost us to take him on.

There is a lot of transition ahead for this team next year. I want to win it this year while we have a chance. I think getting Manny would increase our chances exponentially.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
Yeah, we have been talking about this since Saturday....I don't think anyone would claim him, although I think the White Sox should claim him to avoid the crazy Rays from claiming him. I think it's worth the $7 million hit if you can assure yourself that you or no one else will get the player.

However, if that deferred money comes into play, you're talking $25+ million owed to him...no one can claim him then, and LA would be free to try and work something out with whomever will agree to take on the most $.

The Rays won't claim him. If anyone offered Coletti the opportunity to get out of the entire contract, at least the pro-rated version for the rest of this year, Manny would not be Dodger right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
The Rays won't claim him. If anyone offered Coletti the opportunity to get out of the entire contract, at least the pro-rated version for the rest of this year, Manny would not be Dodger right now.

Bingo. No one is claiming Manny,.

I disagree. I think there is a chance they would. From what has been reported, the Dodgers were not looking to trade Manny and they were trying to complete other deals. Additionally, they thought they were still in this thing. But as they continue to lose and fall back, they'll look to possibly lose some of this payroll, and Manny will be much more of a burden on them then he was just last week.

Once they put him on waivers, any team willing to take on the $6-7 million can put in a claim. All they have to say is we'll give you nothing for him. And the Dodgers will have to just give him up for nothing but the salary relief.

Now I'm not sure it would be the Rays, but I think there are a few teams out there that could possibly claim him. Especially a team like the Rays, who not only needs him themselves, but has to be thinking they'll possibly have to face him in the ALDS if we end up with him.

I don't think it's even a 30% certainty that he gets claimed, but it's a risk...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
If it's only $6-7 million owed to him, then I don't see why someone wouldn't claim him.

That's a lot of money to most teams. Hell, that's like 7% percent of our payroll. IMO, very few teams would even consider claiming a player worth that amount and even less would claim Manny.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
That's a lot of money to most teams. Hell, that's like 7% percent of our payroll. IMO, very few teams would even consider claiming a player worth that amount and even less would claim Manny.

Yes, but it only takes one...

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
True, but I don't see the usual suspects (Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, etc.) making a claim on Manny.

No, but I could see some of the unusual suspects claiming him...it's a risk when we need him so badly...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
No, but I could see some of the unusual suspects claiming him...it's a risk when we need him so badly...

If the Sox were willing to take the entire contract or anything close, they would have offered more than $1 million in relief and no players. I heard an interview with Colleti and he summed up the monetary figure as pocket change.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
If the Sox were willing to take the entire contract or anything close, they would have offered more than $1 million in relief and no players. I heard an interview with Colleti and he summed up the monetary figure as pocket change.

Yeah, it was an opening offer and they never were able to negotiate afterwards because the Dodgers had so many other things going on.

My guess is they would have been willing to pay $3-4 million. And if they were willing to pay $3-4 million, it's hard to say whether or not they would be willing to be $6-7 million to avoid the risk of not getting him.

Obviously just speculation and my opinion. Certainly could be wishful thinking.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
Like I said earlier, no one is going to claim him.

I hate these bs posts.

I sat here and watched Steve759465037 tell me for a month that we should listen to him, that LeBron would never go play with Dwayne Wade, like he had some sort of inside info we were supposed to believe.

If you're going to continually voice your opinion on something, please tell us why. Give reasons. Make an argument. State your position.

What is the point of popping in these threads and posting things like that as if you are Scott Boras and we are just supposed to believe you or something?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 08:51 PM)
Why are you so certain of this? Have you read something in the news implying the Giants have significant cash to burn?

They went hard after Dunn, Fielder, and Corey Hart, but they didn't want to part with Baumgartner for Dunn/Hart or a lot more than that for Fielder.

Hart is making $4.8 mil this season and they clearly could have absorbed his contract. I sure got the impression they had room for Dunn. They have plenty of room for revenue growth with seat sales down the stretch if they can take that division, they're right there, and they need 1 more OF bat.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
I hate these bs posts.

I sat here and watched Steve759465037 tell me for a month that we should listen to him, that LeBron would never go play with Dwayne Wade, like he had some sort of inside info we were supposed to believe.

If you're going to continually voice your opinion on something, please tell us why. Give reasons. Make an argument. State your position.

What is the point of popping in these threads and posting things like that as if you are Scott Boras and we are just supposed to believe you or something?

I told you why!

Economy and $$$$

No one is going to claim him with the fear of the Dodgers giving Manny away to save money.

Multiple GM's said money is an issue on MLB Network the last week of July on all they're trade shows.

It is the real deal, i've said it in 5 posts already in the this thread. I've statement my opinion in all of those threads.

And if you didn't know LeBrun was going to play for Miami, then shame on you. It was a done deal 6 months ago.

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ