What do we have in Viciedo?

mmmmmbeeer

After watching this guy get a few sparse opportunities, it's pretty evident that the kid can rake. To be 21 years old and have as good of an approach as he has, I've got to think his future is bright. I also think he's made an impression on the die-hards on this board as it seems that noone wanted him traded at the deadline. So who can we compare him to? What can we expect after a couple seasons in the bigs?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
I think he can be a much better hitter than Uribe. I've seen some people are comparing him to Uribe.

I believe he was compared to Uribe in his swing and follow through, not his overall offense. Though I'll venture to guess he also resembles Uribe's plate discipline, but he won't strike out nearly as much as Juan did cause Dayan has much better pitch recognition/batting eye. But at 21 though, he really is something. Looking at other clubs with guys like Heyward, Stanton, Posey, Castro, etc... it's nice to watch a kid just as young, if not younger than some of those talents and is on your team hitting. (stay out of the age thing iamshack.. ;)) And no I'm not comparing them as players, just in age.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

Uribe, eh? I think that's quite an insult to Dayan's skillz, actually. Juany was as streaky as they come and really looked like he had no gameplan whatseover when he stepped into the box. If Viciedo can develop an eye, and can couple that with his sweet swing and approach, I think you're looking at a hitter who is purely an offensive player...unlike Juan who's true value was in his defense. I ask this question because I'm struggling to think of a player he compares to.....someone with a poor eye but an outstanding slugging pct....good power but exceptional doubles power.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)
good power but exceptional doubles power.

If he stays in shape, a lot of those doubles will start traveling 425 feet by the time he's 25.

And he doesn't look to have a poor eye. A poor eye is swinging at bad pitches. That leads to strikeouts. He's aggressive, but he's aggressive within the strike zone.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
I believe he was compared to Uribe in his swing and follow through, not his overall offense. Though I'll venture to guess he also resembles Uribe's plate discipline, but he won't strike out nearly as much as Juan did cause Dayan has much better pitch recognition/batting eye. But at 21 though, he really is something. Looking at other clubs with guys like Heyward, Stanton, Posey, Castro, etc... it's nice to watch a kid just as young, if not younger than some of those talents and is on your team hitting. (stay out of the age thing iamshack.. ;))

This. I'm sick of (though I love watching) other teams with all this young elite talent. Nice to have a young stud you can truly get excited about (and I haven't forgotten Beckham. But I can't stroke him again until he gets his average up to .275).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
If he stays in shape, a lot of those doubles will start traveling 425 feet by the time he's 25.

And he doesn't look to have a poor eye. A poor eye is swinging at bad pitches. That leads to strikeouts. He's aggressive, but he's aggressive within the strike zone.

That's a very good point....he just doesn't like to walk. There have been very few times that a pitcher has just made him look bad.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
This. I'm sick of (though I love watching) other teams with all this young elite talent. Nice to have a young stud you can truly get excited about (and I haven't forgotten Beckham. But I can't stroke him again until he gets his average up to .275).

We've had a young stud step up and put up a very good year with the bats each of the last 4 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)

I agree with this. Carlos Gonzalez, arguably the best player in baseball since the second half of last year, can't spell walk and he's doing just fine.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
I know you're not talking about Josh Fields in 2007?

We were raving about what he was doing there. 23 HR, .788 OPS as a rookie, and he won that team a decent number of games. Despite only playing 60% of the season, he was 7th in ROY voting.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
Nice to have a young stud you can truly get excited about (and I haven't forgotten Beckham. But I can't stroke him again until he gets his average up to .275).

Ill say this. It is really nice to see him hitting in the .240s instead of the .210s and below like he was. At least it is respectable to look at. Now if Beckham can take some walks once in a while like he did when he was hitting .200 earlier in the first couple months in the season (despite the low average, but had a solid OBP), I would love him more (it's like he's talking to A.J. about plate discipline way too much lately).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
What about my Bill Madlock comparison? I thought I'd be roasted over the coals or praised universally on here by now for that observation.

Bill Madlock had one of the best combinations of batting eye + contact skills of any player I've ever seen.

He was virtually impossible to strike out. Drove pitchers crazy.

It would be great if Viciedo ever develops that level of skill with pitch recognition and contact. But unlikely. That's asking alot.

However... Viciedo hits the ball much harder than Madlock did.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
I keep thinking Vlad. You have to work to walk him, but you throw him a strike and you're in trouble.

I think it's too early to know what we have, but I like this comparison. Tanks swing is a little more compact and quick. But the approach for sure. I hope he can be what Vlad was for the Halos, that would be huge for us.

We had a kid that can clearly hit the ball hard, particularly against lefties. He's going to have to be a little more patient to survive though IMO. He doesn't need to be Kevin Youkilis up there, but a walk here and there is essential. But to be that young and be able to hit major league pitchers that hard, he has a ton of potential.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
I agree with this. Carlos Gonzalez, arguably the best player in baseball since the second half of last year, can't spell walk and he's doing just fine.

As long as he can hit and drive in runs I'm not worried about walks either. Of course being selective enough to get in a good hitters count will only make him more dangerous.

But yes...I like "The Tank".