What do we have in Viciedo?

mmmmmbeeer

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 07:53 AM)
You don't walk off the island. They are trained to swing. And frankly, people are over valuing walks for a guy that has such a large hitting zone. Why should he take a walk when he can smack ball four for a double?

Because he can also ground ball four to the SS and probability suggests that he will do that more often than hitting a double.

He's a good hitter though.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
It's really simple, as fun as Dayan is to watch and as great as he's been so far, he's going to have to learn how to draw a walk at some point.

Indeed. If he learns to even draw a modest amount of walks, he could be a really good offensive player with that zone coverage and power. But he has to walk every once in a while, you can't just not walk.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
Indeed. If he learns to even draw a modest amount of walks, he could be a really good offensive player with that zone coverage and power. But he has to walk every once in a while, you can't just not walk.

Vlad had a great career while rarely walking.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Vlad had a great career while rarely walking.

I am going to have to agree with you on this one. He isn't swinging waaaay out of the zone and HIS zone is probably pretty big, much like Vlad. His pitch recognition is actually really good for a 21 year old kid in his 2nd year of pro ball. I think someone mentioned it in this thread earlier, we will see what happens when the scouts catch up to him and he starts to see pitches near his eyes and in the dirt. Then we will really see what we have. If he is able to lay off those, then we could have something special.

Guerrero has walked 50 or more times in 10 seasons and 60 or more 5 times, and walked 42 times as a 23 year old. He didn't walk at all in his first call up in '96 in which he had 27 plate appearances.

Vlad knew how to take a walk, and it's something Viciedo will have to learn how to do too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
Guerrero has walked 50 or more times in 10 seasons and 60 or more 5 times, and walked 42 times as a 23 year old. He didn't walk at all in his first call up in '96 in which he had 27 plate appearances.

Vlad knew how to take a walk, and it's something Viciedo will have to learn how to do too.

Some of those walks are simply people not wanting to pitch to him.

Viciedo still has pitchers going after him. He's taken walks in the minors, took 23 last year in 500 PA's, and was getting better with that as the season went along (he took 3 walks in may and 9 in June, he then caught fire and walked less in July but put up a >1.000 OPS for the month).

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
I love watching Viciedo murder the ball. All I'm asking for is one walk. Just one, man.

Haha this is so true. The other day I remember him having a 3-0 count, and then he proceeded to take a strike and hit a single on the next 2 pitches. He was at 1st base, just like he would have been had he walked, but I'd have felt a million times better had he walked. I'm hoping it's like other milestones in that once it happens, the floodgates will open (relatively speaking for a guy that swings as much as he does, of course).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
I'll start caring about his walks if he ever cools down. Until then, swing away!

Like that shot today where he almost dropped to his knee and still hit it out on a lazer.

Tank is a stud.