college football no trash zone

cwsox

Navarre - Heisman dark horse

Navarre in position for stardom All signs point to a big season from senior QB

Friday, July 25, 2003

BY JIM CNOCKAERT

News Sports Reporter

CHICAGO - Senior quarterback John Navarre can't help but chuckle any time he hears someone suggest that he might be the one player the University of Michigan football team can ill-afford to lose to injury this season.

From Our Advertiser

That's because he knows that a year ago the feeling among many Michigan fans was just the opposite.

"If they would have found out I was hurt, they would have said, 'Good,' " Navarre said Thursday morning during the annual Big Ten summer meetings. "It is funny to think about it now. I can take a little satisfaction in knowing that I've changed some people's minds about me."

Navarre has done that - and more. Many preseason football magazines rate him as the premier returning quarterback in the Big Ten. He was one of six college quarterbacks selected to participate this weekend as an instructor at the EA Sports Elite 11 Passing Camp in San Juan Capistrano, Calif.

He is regarded as a serious candidate for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm and Davey O'Brien quarterback awards. Perhaps most complimentary of all, he is mentioned as a darkhorse candidate on many preseason Heisman Trophy watch lists.

Navarre quickly squashes any talk of postseason honors, particularly about the Heisman. He said he doesn't want anyone to think he believes he is some kind of bigshot. If such honors were to come his way, Navarre said, that would be fine. He'd much rather win a championship.

"I have always tried to focus on the things that I can control," Navarre said. "It's nice that people say those things about me, but I try not to pay attention to that stuff, just as I try not to pay attention to the criticism."

Navarre got plenty of the latter two seasons ago after the Wolverines finished 8-4 and missed out on a chance to win a share of the Big Ten championship and earn a Bowl Championship Series bid. Navarre threw 19 touchdown passes, but he struggled down the stretch, throwing 10 of his 13 interceptions during November and a Citrus Bowl loss to Tennessee.

U-M coach Lloyd Carr said Navarre was unfairly blamed for a last-second loss that season at Michigan State, even though he was not on the field for the final 4 minutes of the game. Navarre took the criticism without complaint, earning the respect of his teammates and coaches. Still, it weighed on him.

"That's the nature of being a quarterback," Carr said. "You're going to get a lot of credit for winning; you're going to get a lot of blame for losing. Sometimes it isn't fair. That was not fair. But that's the way it is."

Navarre improved his statistics last season, throwing for nearly 500 more yards than the previous year. He threw 21 touchdown passes and cut his interception total to seven. Navarre said he believes he can improve those numbers even more this season, in part because of his experience, in part because of his familiarity with offensive coordinator Terry Malone's philosophy, and in part because he is working with some of the best talent in the Big Ten.

"I've always said that becoming an outstanding quarterback is a process. It's true of all the positions, but it's particularly true at quarterback," Carr said. "John Navarre has proven beyond any doubt his ability to deal with the pressures that go with that position. I'll tell you this, against the University of Florida on New Year's Day, he played against a guy who was drafted in the first round. And John played better. So, in my mind, he's got everything it takes."

Navarre said his performance in the Outback Bowl - he threw for a career-high 319 yards and a touchdown - might not have been the best of his career, but it is a critical one in terms of his confidence and that of his teammates. Navarre said he was so fired up following the 38-30 win that he was ready to start another season as soon as the Wolverines returned to Ann Arbor.

"It is so different to end a season on a positive note like that, and it carried over in to everything we did," he said. "Usually, when you get back from a bowl game, you want to take a couple of weeks off, but I was ready to start up again. That was a new feeling for me."

Navarre said he is now so familiar with the intricacies of the Michigan offense that he almost feels like a coordinator on the field. He believes that will enable him to take even more of a leadership role on the team this season.

"The one thing you know as a Michigan quarterback is that you have to be accountable to your teammates, your coaches, the fans and the media," he said. "Part of that means you're going to be criticized, whether you believe you deserve it or not. People think you're great when we win and bad when we lose. You have to be able to balance that."

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be fun if other college football fans posted something from the local press as opposed to the stuff all of us access in the national media, if stuff from the local press was posted about their favorite teams or players - would inform the rest of us who follow the college game -

here we go:

Jon Beutjer was named to the 42-man Davey O'Brien Award watch list as announced by the Davey O'Brien Foundation. The award is given annually to the nation's top quarterback, named after the All-American and Heisman Trophy winner who led Texas Christian to a national championship in 1938.

and some guy name Navarre was too never heard of him :lolhitting

University of Illinois defensive end Derrick Strong was named to the 29-man Ted Hendricks Award watch list as announced today by the Award's Foundation. The award, in its second year, is given annually to the nation's top defensive end, named after the three-time All-American from the University of Miami.

If I were living in Vegas without a team, I'd jump on the Colorado St bandwagon. Van Pelt is the real deal, the Rams should be good this year, and UNLV's gonna suck. But regardless, I love the WAC/Mt. West conferences, they seem to play so wide open, nobody respects them, and they produce some damn good teams (Air Force, Fresno St., etc.)

If I were living in Vegas without a team, I'd jump on the Colorado St bandwagon. Van Pelt is the real deal, the Rams should be good this year, and UNLV's gonna suck. But regardless, I love the WAC/Mt. West conferences, they seem to play so wide open, nobody respects them, and they produce some damn good teams (Air Force, Fresno St., etc.)

yeah good call do they still have sapp at colorado state cuz he was awesome i was just saying if he wanted to root for a vegas team but the mt west and wac are good conferences... i love watching them play usualy thursday nite games

yeah good call do they still have sapp at colorado state cuz he was awesome i was just saying if he wanted to root for a vegas team but the mt west and wac are good conferences... i love watching them play usualy thursday nite games

Thursday night, and late Saturday night. It's especially fun to watch when it starts snowing up in the mountains.

Sapp has moved on but four of their o-lineman are back, and their two backs, Rashaan Sanders and Tristan Walker should be adequate.

i can keep you up to date on the Illinii, possibly N'Western too and you can keep me up to date on the maize and blue and mich state too maybe

deal!

if we could one thread where we kept information going and no trash talk, it could benefit us all!

folks can do their razzing in another thread or threads, I'd like one just for information -

spiff, thanks for the info you have posted

I really don't have a team. I'd go with Illini, but I'm not too sure about them :\ If i had to pick I'd maybe say Ohio state, just beacuse i read about them somewhere before last season, especially about Doss, and I kinda just ran with them, but I wasn't die hard AT ALL. I did pick up a Clarett jersey for like $30 though... :headbang

deal!

if we could one thread where we kept information going and no trash talk, it could benefit us all!

folks can do their razzing in another thread or threads, I'd like one just for information -

spiff, thanks for the info you have posted

no problem, it is somewhat selfish anyway, since a) i have to go find the info and learn it myself, and b ) i love talking about college footbal. :lol: