college football no trash zone

cwsox

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pull for GVSU (d2 national champs) and Michigan.  Should be a great year for the maize and blue.

oh yeah.

I was there yesterday, going back Saturday.

If I ever have an extra ticket to the Big House or USCF, interested?

I am 35 miles NE of GR.

Navarre - Heisman dark horse

Navarre in position for stardom All signs point to a big season from senior QB

Friday, July 25, 2003

BY JIM CNOCKAERT

News Sports Reporter

CHICAGO - Senior quarterback John Navarre can't help but chuckle any time he hears someone suggest that he might be the one player the University of Michigan football team can ill-afford to lose to injury this season.

From Our Advertiser

That's because he knows that a year ago the feeling among many Michigan fans was just the opposite.

"If they would have found out I was hurt, they would have said, 'Good,' " Navarre said Thursday morning during the annual Big Ten summer meetings. "It is funny to think about it now. I can take a little satisfaction in knowing that I've changed some people's minds about me."

Navarre has done that - and more. Many preseason football magazines rate him as the premier returning quarterback in the Big Ten. He was one of six college quarterbacks selected to participate this weekend as an instructor at the EA Sports Elite 11 Passing Camp in San Juan Capistrano, Calif.

He is regarded as a serious candidate for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm and Davey O'Brien quarterback awards. Perhaps most complimentary of all, he is mentioned as a darkhorse candidate on many preseason Heisman Trophy watch lists.

Navarre quickly squashes any talk of postseason honors, particularly about the Heisman. He said he doesn't want anyone to think he believes he is some kind of bigshot. If such honors were to come his way, Navarre said, that would be fine. He'd much rather win a championship.

"I have always tried to focus on the things that I can control," Navarre said. "It's nice that people say those things about me, but I try not to pay attention to that stuff, just as I try not to pay attention to the criticism."

Navarre got plenty of the latter two seasons ago after the Wolverines finished 8-4 and missed out on a chance to win a share of the Big Ten championship and earn a Bowl Championship Series bid. Navarre threw 19 touchdown passes, but he struggled down the stretch, throwing 10 of his 13 interceptions during November and a Citrus Bowl loss to Tennessee.

U-M coach Lloyd Carr said Navarre was unfairly blamed for a last-second loss that season at Michigan State, even though he was not on the field for the final 4 minutes of the game. Navarre took the criticism without complaint, earning the respect of his teammates and coaches. Still, it weighed on him.

"That's the nature of being a quarterback," Carr said. "You're going to get a lot of credit for winning; you're going to get a lot of blame for losing. Sometimes it isn't fair. That was not fair. But that's the way it is."

Navarre improved his statistics last season, throwing for nearly 500 more yards than the previous year. He threw 21 touchdown passes and cut his interception total to seven. Navarre said he believes he can improve those numbers even more this season, in part because of his experience, in part because of his familiarity with offensive coordinator Terry Malone's philosophy, and in part because he is working with some of the best talent in the Big Ten.

"I've always said that becoming an outstanding quarterback is a process. It's true of all the positions, but it's particularly true at quarterback," Carr said. "John Navarre has proven beyond any doubt his ability to deal with the pressures that go with that position. I'll tell you this, against the University of Florida on New Year's Day, he played against a guy who was drafted in the first round. And John played better. So, in my mind, he's got everything it takes."

Navarre said his performance in the Outback Bowl - he threw for a career-high 319 yards and a touchdown - might not have been the best of his career, but it is a critical one in terms of his confidence and that of his teammates. Navarre said he was so fired up following the 38-30 win that he was ready to start another season as soon as the Wolverines returned to Ann Arbor.

"It is so different to end a season on a positive note like that, and it carried over in to everything we did," he said. "Usually, when you get back from a bowl game, you want to take a couple of weeks off, but I was ready to start up again. That was a new feeling for me."

Navarre said he is now so familiar with the intricacies of the Michigan offense that he almost feels like a coordinator on the field. He believes that will enable him to take even more of a leadership role on the team this season.

"The one thing you know as a Michigan quarterback is that you have to be accountable to your teammates, your coaches, the fans and the media," he said. "Part of that means you're going to be criticized, whether you believe you deserve it or not. People think you're great when we win and bad when we lose. You have to be able to balance that."

GO BLUE

eventhough I have issues with some people within Ann Arbor.... Im still a big fan of their Athletic Program!

Navarre - Heisman dark horse

Navarre in position for stardom All signs point to a big season from senior QB

Friday, July 25, 2003

BY JIM CNOCKAERT

News Sports Reporter

CHICAGO - Senior quarterback John Navarre can't help but chuckle any time he hears someone suggest that he might be the one player the University of Michigan football team can ill-afford to lose to injury this season.

From Our Advertiser

That's because he knows that a year ago the feeling among many Michigan fans was just the opposite.

"If they would have found out I was hurt, they would have said, 'Good,' " Navarre said Thursday morning during the annual Big Ten summer meetings. "It is funny to think about it now. I can take a little satisfaction in knowing that I've changed some people's minds about me."

Navarre has done that - and more. Many preseason football magazines rate him as the premier returning quarterback in the Big Ten. He was one of six college quarterbacks selected to participate this weekend as an instructor at the EA Sports Elite 11 Passing Camp in San Juan Capistrano, Calif.

He is regarded as a serious candidate for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm and Davey O'Brien quarterback awards. Perhaps most complimentary of all, he is mentioned as a darkhorse candidate on many preseason Heisman Trophy watch lists.

Navarre quickly squashes any talk of postseason honors, particularly about the Heisman. He said he doesn't want anyone to think he believes he is some kind of bigshot. If such honors were to come his way, Navarre said, that would be fine. He'd much rather win a championship.

"I have always tried to focus on the things that I can control," Navarre said. "It's nice that people say those things about me, but I try not to pay attention to that stuff, just as I try not to pay attention to the criticism."

Navarre got plenty of the latter two seasons ago after the Wolverines finished 8-4 and missed out on a chance to win a share of the Big Ten championship and earn a Bowl Championship Series bid. Navarre threw 19 touchdown passes, but he struggled down the stretch, throwing 10 of his 13 interceptions during November and a Citrus Bowl loss to Tennessee.

U-M coach Lloyd Carr said Navarre was unfairly blamed for a last-second loss that season at Michigan State, even though he was not on the field for the final 4 minutes of the game. Navarre took the criticism without complaint, earning the respect of his teammates and coaches. Still, it weighed on him.

"That's the nature of being a quarterback," Carr said. "You're going to get a lot of credit for winning; you're going to get a lot of blame for losing. Sometimes it isn't fair. That was not fair. But that's the way it is."

Navarre improved his statistics last season, throwing for nearly 500 more yards than the previous year. He threw 21 touchdown passes and cut his interception total to seven. Navarre said he believes he can improve those numbers even more this season, in part because of his experience, in part because of his familiarity with offensive coordinator Terry Malone's philosophy, and in part because he is working with some of the best talent in the Big Ten.

"I've always said that becoming an outstanding quarterback is a process. It's true of all the positions, but it's particularly true at quarterback," Carr said. "John Navarre has proven beyond any doubt his ability to deal with the pressures that go with that position. I'll tell you this, against the University of Florida on New Year's Day, he played against a guy who was drafted in the first round. And John played better. So, in my mind, he's got everything it takes."

Navarre said his performance in the Outback Bowl - he threw for a career-high 319 yards and a touchdown - might not have been the best of his career, but it is a critical one in terms of his confidence and that of his teammates. Navarre said he was so fired up following the 38-30 win that he was ready to start another season as soon as the Wolverines returned to Ann Arbor.

"It is so different to end a season on a positive note like that, and it carried over in to everything we did," he said. "Usually, when you get back from a bowl game, you want to take a couple of weeks off, but I was ready to start up again. That was a new feeling for me."

Navarre said he is now so familiar with the intricacies of the Michigan offense that he almost feels like a coordinator on the field. He believes that will enable him to take even more of a leadership role on the team this season.

"The one thing you know as a Michigan quarterback is that you have to be accountable to your teammates, your coaches, the fans and the media," he said. "Part of that means you're going to be criticized, whether you believe you deserve it or not. People think you're great when we win and bad when we lose. You have to be able to balance that."

GO BLUE

eventhough I have issues with some people within Ann Arbor.... Im still a big fan of their Athletic Program!

murcie - that is the most beautiful post ever - I ahve tears running down my cheek -

Hey folks just got back from Saturday's Michigan game trip (long trip because I also saw the sox and relatives).

CW, the run defense was ugly, especially on the first drive of the second half, another one of those great Lloyd Carr halftime speeches I guess. Perry looks faster on this turf, if our running game takes off our offense could be one of the best in the country.

Anyway, I have missed alot of the conversation in this thread and I hate to say it but I am too lazy to go back and read so I will just ask, whats this about a college football board with moderators and stuff?

I have a feeling there will be a lot of tension for those moderator positions so I won't throw any alcohol on the fire, I will just stay out of it.

So anyway, opening weekend was intriguing, I was hoping I could see a little of Marcus Vick, but I was out with relatives, looked like that was Randel's game anyway. Smoker had no right to lead the band, the guy barely beat Western...and lastly I am very disappointed with the way Colorado State's defense performed, I always root for them against the Buff's and I like Van Pelt, but his D gave that game away.

and for CW a few thoughts and a question- firstly, the turf looks great! secondly the stand that sold those great big french fries by the hill in the north (I think its the north) endzone outside of the stadium is gone :angry: , I liked those, so I instead recommend the pulled pork. Also, have you heard anyword on whether or not Edwards fued with Carr is coming to an end? Lastly, do you know any good sites that have michigan pictures? I would like a picture of David Underwood (my favirote player) to use as a signature or avatar.