August White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ozzie's latest rant:

ESPN Chicago

Don't take this wrong, but they take advantage of us. We bring a Japanese player and they are very good and they bring all these privileges to them. We bring a Dominican kid ... go to the minor leagues, good luck. Good luck. And it's always going to be like that. It's never going to change.

We have a decidedly easier August schedule than the Twins.

We play Detroit 7 times, the Orioles 7 times, the Royals 3 times, the Indians 3 times, and the Twins 6 times.

Meanwhile, Minnesota plays Tampa Bay 4 times, the Indians 3 times, the A's 3 times, the Angels 3 times, the Rangers 4 times, the Mariners 3 times, the Tigers 1 time, and us 6 times.

We need to take care of our central division opponents so we can be in good shape heading into September, as they have the easier schedule that month...

The Sox actually just weathered the storm. If Minnesota was going to make a move, it was going to be over the last 13 games (CLE-3, BAL-4, KC-3, SEA-3), and the Sox are still in first, which is nice. Now they need to extend the lead in August while Minnesota plays the tougher schedule.

MIN has 21 games vs teams with at least a .500 record, and only 6 against losing teams. They also play 17 on the road vs 10 at home. The Sox on the other hand have only 16 vs teams at .500 or better and 12 against losing teams. We have to gain some ground on the Twinkies in this stretch. We also play 18 against the division this month, so August is going to be huge for us. With Minnesota's schedule getting easier in September, we really need about a 5 game lead (preferably more) going into September.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
We have a decidedly easier August schedule than the Twins.

We play Detroit 7 times, the Orioles 7 times, the Royals 3 times, the Indians 3 times, and the Twins 6 times.

Meanwhile, Minnesota plays Tampa Bay 4 times, the Indians 3 times, the A's 3 times, the Angels 3 times, the Rangers 4 times, the Mariners 3 times, the Tigers 1 time, and us 6 times.

We need to take care of our central division opponents so we can be in good shape heading into September, as they have the easier schedule that month...

I expect 20 wins there.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
Ozzie's latest rant:

ESPN Chicago

wow is he stupid.

1.) the Japan league is a lot more advanced and is closer to AA/AAA minor league ball than any baseball in Latin America.

2.) Most players brought in from Japan are already in their 20's, more advanced as baseball players. Most of the players signed from Latin America are younger than 20, sometimes when they are only 16.

3.) The MLB cannot afford, nor should it, pay for a translator for every latin player, there's far too many. Plus, spanish is a language that is a lot easier to learn and the 2nd language of America. Someone from Japan is coming to a country where language and customs are completely different, they need more help. Plus, how many Japanese and Asian, players are in American Professional Baseball?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
Morneau still experiences concussion symptoms is pretty scary for the twins. Many players are never the same after they get their bell rung

That's crazy he is still experiencing concussion symptoms almost a month after it happened. Somethings not right and he better take every precaution necessary. Concussions are nothing to f*** around with. Hopefully everything will be ok.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
Why is this, wouldn't it be the normal day for Freddy and Buehrle on Tuesday anyway, and who would we designate or put on the DL?

Freddy is being pushed back to Thursday to get some extra rest.

Buehrle and Torres are pitching Tuesday. Jackson on Wed. Freddy on Thursday. Then the rotation the rest of the season should be set...Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Jackson, Garcia.

Not sure what's going on with Sale, but Threets has done a good job. That would be a tough send down for him.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
Why is this, wouldn't it be the normal day for Freddy and Buehrle on Tuesday anyway, and who would we designate or put on the DL?

If they both pitched on the same day, then one of them would have to go on 3 days rest for their next start on Saturday.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
If they both pitched on the same day, then one of them would have to go on 3 days rest for their next start on Saturday.

Good point, but I was thinking only from the front end of things. I hope this does not mean Threets has to go as he has some potential at the moment and should have been up all year.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
wow is he stupid.

1.) the Japan league is a lot more advanced and is closer to AA/AAA minor league ball than any baseball in Latin America.

2.) Most players brought in from Japan are already in their 20's, more advanced as baseball players. Most of the players signed from Latin America are younger than 20, sometimes when they are only 16.

3.) The MLB cannot afford, nor should it, pay for a translator for every latin player, there's far too many. Plus, spanish is a language that is a lot easier to learn and the 2nd language of America. Someone from Japan is coming to a country where language and customs are completely different, they need more help. Plus, how many Japanese and Asian, players are in American Professional Baseball?

I think he's talking about the korean prospects and lesser advanced Japanese players moreso than the advanced Japanese players that come over.

Secondly, I think he does have a point. MLB has sought to advance globally, and perhaps is providing advantages to players from newer markets and overlooking those same services in age-old markets it already has.

Thirdly, you would not have to assign one translator for each Latin player, but rather one for each team. I don't think that would be that difficult.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
Morneau still experiences concussion symptoms is pretty scary for the twins. Many players are never the same after they get their bell rung

For serious concussions like that, I believe the rule of thumb is they have to have two days without symptoms for every day that they had them. If I am remembering that right, it could be a long while.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)
I think he's talking about the korean prospects and lesser advanced Japanese players moreso than the advanced Japanese players that come over.

Secondly, I think he does have a point. MLB has sought to advance globally, and perhaps is providing advantages to players from newer markets and overlooking those same services in age-old markets it already has.

Thirdly, you would not have to assign one translator for each Latin player, but rather one for each team. I don't think that would be that difficult.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd assume every team already has at least 1 spanish translator, considering how many non-english speaking latin players there are in the MLB.

I thought Ozzie was talking more about the personal translators players like Fukudome have where they act almost as an assistant and go everywhere with them.