Alexei Best All Around SS in baseball?

tonyho7476

Alexei the best?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is a better all around SS than Alexei?

• Troy Tulowitzki
    • Rafael Furcal
    • Derek Jeter
    • Alex Gonzalez
    • Hanley Ramirez
    • Other
    • Nobody

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
Alexei has shown some real brilaince at times. I think he can be one of the best, if not the best, but experience is what makes the difference. I have to believe that Omar Vizquel has helped him to develop

Omar should be a coach for this team after this season. I think he would be an excellent manager as well. He is so calm, classy, and smart...complete opposite of Ozzie.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
Ozzie said in one of his pregame interviews that Omar in no way is taking credit for Alexei, it is all Joey Cora and the work they have put in together. he was emphatic about it

It really took a while for Joey to get though to Alexei didn't it?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
It really took a while for Joey to get though to Alexei didn't it?

you could say that, or you could say that it took a while for Alexei to get over his inexperience at the position

regardless, he is performing brilliantly now. Whoever helped him get to this point needs a big kudos

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
you could say that, or you could say that it took a while for Alexei to get over his inexperience at the position

If you believe some reports, last season was the first time he'd ever been put as a SS for any extended length of time, so it only took him about 1 season to turn into a GG SS. That aint' bad in my book.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
If you believe some reports, last season was the first time he'd ever been put as a SS for any extended length of time, so it only took him about 1 season to turn into a GG SS. That aint' bad in my book.

And he wasn't bad there, contrary to popular belief.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)

Amen. Some guys aren't finished products the first day, the first season. He deserves credit. I was totally against moving him to ss. And I was wrong, just like most of this board including me was wrong when we wanted to blow this team up when the team was 9 back.

Edited by greg775

To all of those saying Hanley Ramirez, what does he do that much better then Alexei?

Even with his awful start, Alexei has the higher batting average. Doubles are pretty much a wash at 18 to 17, HR's are close at 14 to 11, and I don't think RBI's are very far off (56 to 43) considering Hanley is batting third every day and Alexei has been hitting eighth. Defensively, it isn't even close at this point. Alexei is one of the best defensive SS's in the game while Hanley is one of the worst. So again, outside of being a much more well known player, why take Hanley over Alexei?

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
To all of those saying Hanley Ramirez, what does he do that much better then Alexei?

Even with his awful start, Alexei has the higher batting average. Doubles are pretty much a wash at 18 to 17, HR's are close at 14 to 11, and I don't think RBI's are very far off (56 to 43) considering Hanley is batting third every day and Alexei has been hitting eighth. Defensively, it isn't even close at this point. Alexei is one of the best defensive SS's in the game while Hanley is one of the worst. So again, outside of being a much more well known player, why take Hanley over Alexei?

track record and age. alexei's older, right?

if i'm starting a team, i take hanley over alexei in a heartbeat. at the moment, alexei is more valuable.

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)

By the way, after reading this post, I checked Hanley's stats. Mercy is he having a down year or what? 3 straight years of an OPS over .940 before this one as a 23-25 year old, then this year his OPS is at .807.

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)

What does he do better than Alexei? Other then just about every aspect of offense? Not much. Look, Alexei has been fabulous the last two months and change. But that's it. He ain't close to Hanley offensively (2010 has been an outlier for Hanley).

Hanley Ramirez has the 10th highest wOBA of any hitter in the game over the past 3 seasons and that's including his ~.350 from this year. There are 8 first baseman ahead of him, a LF and a 3B. The next closest SS is 29th (Tulo). Alexei is ranked 107 out of 131 (tied with JJ Hardy). Hanley's also 9th in batting average and 8th in SB over that same time. He's having the worst year of his career after being a top 5 offensive player over the 3 previous seasons, perfect time to compare Alexei to Hanley.

Between '07-'09 only Pujols, A-Rod, Holliday and Chipper had a higher wOBA.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
Hanley Ramirez has the 10th highest wOBA of any hitter in the game over the past 3 seasons and that's including his ~.350 from this year. There are 8 first baseman ahead of him, a LF and a 3B. The next closest SS is 29th (Tulo). Alexei is ranked 107 out of 131 (tied with JJ Hardy). Hanley's also 9th in batting average and 8th in SB over that same time. He's having the worst year of his career after being a top 5 offensive player over the 3 previous seasons, perfect time to compare Alexei to Hanley.

There was a reason why there were threads about what player you would start a franchise with for years on soxtalk. Obviously Pujols finished first, but guys like Hanley and Miggy were right there.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)

I didn't even bother with numbers. I knew either you or qwerty would take care of that. I'm just too lazy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
I'm pretty happy with the improvements Alexei has made defensively, and the way he has played offensively since May.

I'll leave it at that.

Oh, and he makes $1.25 million dollars.

Well, he would win the poll for 'Who is worth every penny'

I'm just glad to see someone with so much talent like Alexei finally putting it all together. The MLB is populated with guys who didn't, and it's been fun to watch Alexei develop and become a consistently good ballplayer.

I checked the gamelogs on Baseball Reference for Lexi, and it was actually around the middle of May this season when he started to hit.

His #'s since May 15th: .333BA .364OBP .494SLG .858OPS, pretty darn sweet with the D we're getting from him. And really, those are excellent 2 hole numbers.

His 2009 #'s from May 22 onward: .296BA .355OBP .424SLG .779OPS

His 2008 #'s from May26 onward: .305BA .332OBP .505SLG .837 OPS

He's starting to get hot slightly earlier each season. I predict he'll get it going around May 8th next year. I'd like to see how game time temp correlates, if any, but I don't quite have the time.

He (and Gavin too) should be hypnotized next March into thinking it's June.