Buck up campers...

RudyLawRules

Who'd a thunk back on June 9th, when we were 24-33 that today we'd be 63-49 and tied for first as of today? Anyone?

OK, exhale. See how easy that was? I saw in the game thread where someone commented that these kind of series happen to the best of teams every season. We are no exception.

The flip side is I would have loved to see the mood of the board back at the end of April when we swept a 3 game series from the mighty Mariners to move us to 8-11. I don't recall people thumping their chests screaming "THE DIVISION IS OURS!!" LOL

Don't get too high, don't get too low.

Heck, the Tampa Bay Rays entered tonight's on a 5 game losing streak...it happens.

Side note, Kevin Slowey is being skipped with arm trouble. Hmmm...

With all that "half full" crap being said, check with me after Thursday. :lolhitting

PS and BTW: The Ejax experiment so far looks encouraging.

Edited by RudyLawRules

QUOTE (RudyLawRules @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
If the pitching is there in September...so will we.

That depends how much the offense is interested in scoring.

The pitching did its job on this road trip with the exception of one game, maybe two if you're picky. Yet, we only went 4-4.

QUOTE (RudyLawRules @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
Who'd a thunk back on June 9th, when we were 24-33 that today we'd be 63-49 and tied for first as of today? Anyone?

And who would have thought 4 days ago that today we'd be tied for first after losing 3 of 4 to the Orioles? Look, the turn around from this team has been nothing short of remarkable since June, that being said, we're in a pennant race now and just because we were terrible in April and May doesn't make series like this any less disappointing.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
And who would have thought 4 days ago that today we'd be tied for first after losing 3 of 4 to the Orioles? Look, the turn around from this team has been nothing short of remarkable since June, that being said, we're in a pennant race now and just because we were terrible in April and May doesn't make series like this any less disappointing.

Well said.

Your mind shouldn't be stuck in May and April thinking how great it would be if this team is at its current position. You should be thinking about the team in its current situation - and that's tied in a pennant race after a horrid series.

Now if we were to look back on the season at the end of it and we came up short, it might be nice to think how great this team had to play to get back into it.

But to think of it like that now, that's almost a defeatist attitude.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
Well said.

Your mind shouldn't be stuck in May and April thinking how great it would be if this team is at its current position. You should be thinking about the team in its current situation - and that's tied in a pennant race after a horrid series.

Now if we were to look back on the season at the end of it and we came up short, it might be nice to think how great this team had to play to get back into it.

But to think of it like that now, that's almost a defeatist attitude.

cubs%202.gif

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)

Disappointing series...yes. End of the world...no. Much baseball to be played and I will agree...we need to hit more and play/manage smarter to support the starting pitching we've been getting. You're just not gonna win scoring 2-3 runs...no matter how good our pitching's been.

Bring on the Twins! :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 12:07 AM)
I'm so tired of the "who would have thought 2 months ago we'd be here" point. Who cares, all that is in the past now. All that matters is where this team is now going forward, not where they came from.

Who would have thought 2 months ago you could be in a position to make this post?

4-4 isn't a bad road trip at all, but we definitely played lousy in Baltimore. I don't know if "fired up" is the right word, but our guys should have been extra aggressive realizing the O's would be playing much better under a new manager which usually inspires teams for a week or so before they return to s***tiness.

Should be interesting to see if we play well at home vs. the Twins. I'm sure it'll be built up as another "statement" series between the two teams. Unless one team sweeps, it won't mean much in the big scheme of things. I'm afraid Thome is due to beat us in at least one of the games like former Sox seem to do when they play us.

After they beat our ass 3 of 4 recently, it would be very nice to win 2 of 3 this week. Losing all 3 might start a rapid downward spiral. Winning all three would be incredible and might start the Twins on a downward spiral since they've done a nice job of catching us after blowing that 9.5 game lead against us earlier.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)
4-4 isn't a bad road trip at all, but we definitely played lousy in Baltimore. I don't know if "fired up" is the right word, but our guys should have been extra aggressive realizing the O's would be playing much better under a new manager which usually inspires teams for a week or so before they return to s***tiness.

Should be interesting to see if we play well at home vs. the Twins. I'm sure it'll be built up as another "statement" series between the two teams. Unless one team sweeps, it won't mean much in the big scheme of things. I'm afraid Thome is due to beat us in at least one of the games like former Sox seem to do when they play us.

After they beat our ass 3 of 4 recently, it would be very nice to win 2 of 3 this week. Losing all 3 might start a rapid downward spiral. Winning all three would be incredible and might start the Twins on a downward spiral since they've done a nice job of catching us after blowing that 9.5 game lead against us earlier.

I'm not buying the whole "Orioles played better under their new manager" theory. Its not like they hit the ball well or made web gems all over the field. The Sox couldn't hit their god awful pitching and lost 3 one-run games because of it. Did Buck Showalter pump up Bergesen, Millwood, & Matusz so much that they stopped sucking at pitching? I doubt it. The Sox went through an awful cold hitting stretch and it cost them a 4-game series against a bad team. Hopefully they can turn it around with 1st place on the line, heading back to the friendly confines of the Cell should help them out some.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
I'm not buying the whole "Orioles played better under their new manager" theory. Its not like they hit the ball well or made web gems all over the field. The Sox couldn't hit their god awful pitching and lost 3 one-run games because of it. Did Buck Showalter pump up Bergesen, Millwood, & Matusz so much that they stopped sucking at pitching? I doubt it. The Sox went through an awful cold hitting stretch and it cost them a 4-game series against a bad team. Hopefully they can turn it around with 1st place on the line, heading back to the friendly confines of the Cell should help them out some.

Weren't there three walkoffs in that series? The Sox had a bad series but it was more than simply bad hitting. They played s***ty. Baltimore did play better under a new manager, though IMO. Hope the Sox get the memory of that monster home run by Roberts out of their minds quickly. That's the hardest hit ball of the season. Go SOX! One at a time, with the goal putting the Twinks in their place.