Resenting Football

Buehrlesque

OK, I don't know how popular this topic is going to be, but I am curious to see if there is anybody else out there like me. Does anybody else somewhat resent football for taking all the national and local attention away from baseball once NFL training camp starts?

Sometimes it feels like the trade deadline July 31 is the last time baseball gets the spotlight, from a coverage/attention point of view. Then NFL training camp starts, followed by the ultra-meaningless preseason games that are really hyped up, (then 20 pages of coverage about Cutler's two, yes, two passes), and baseball doesn't really take center stage again until the World Series.

I work at a bar with one big main TV at the front. Not once, not twice, but THREE times over the past two weeks I was asked to change the channel from a pennant race baseball game (twice it was the Sox) to a pre-season football game. I know I shouldn't complain about other people's preferences, but this always manages to get me frustrated.

Don't get me wrong, I AM a Bears fan. But I am far and away a baseball fan first. Football only really matters to me on Sundays in the fall/winter. I don't hate football, but I can't stand how America and Chicago makes it such a big deal, bigger than baseball, while there are pennant races going on. Or when the Sox tank and a popular post on Sox message boards is "I've got one thing to say: Go Bears!" To me, the Sox are so much more important.

Anyway, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way. Football is king, in this city and in this country, and I should just accept it. But does anybody else resent it a little?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd probably bother me if I didn't love football so much. I do feel when the playoffs roll around that baseball kinda takes center stage again. But I see your point. Nothing you can do. And you didn't even mention college football. Which I feel is more popular than the NFL.

I have to disagree with you on one thing. When the Cubs and Sox were making their runs in 2003 and 2005 it was like the Bears didn't even exist. So if the Sox can somehow win the central, they'll definitely be the top dog even with football season in full swing.

Edited by Jordan4life

Let's be real here. The anticipation of what is coming is ALWAYS way cooler than what is going on... regardless of the situation. We're all starved for football while we've watched 118 games of baseball.

It was no different when Spring Training rolled around and the Blackhawks were vying for a Stanley Cup.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
Let's be real here. The anticipation of what is coming is ALWAYS way cooler than what is going on... regardless of the situation. We're all starved for football while we've watched 118 games of baseball.

It was no different when Spring Training rolled around and the Blackhawks were vying for a Stanley Cup.

That's definitely true. I was going to state something along the lines of how I hate when people say baseball is boring (it is boring, but there are plenty of things in life that are boring that still provide entertainment, and, to me, baseball is one of them), yet I get jacked up because of Spring Training when really, it's the same as pre-season football. The only major difference between spring training games and preseason football is that in baseball, you can actually see several younger players who have a legitimate shot at contributing significantly down the line, whereas in football, most of those guys don't do jack.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)

Hockey does not apply here. Sorry.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
OK, I don't know how popular this topic is going to be, but I am curious to see if there is anybody else out there like me. Does anybody else somewhat resent football for taking all the national and local attention away from baseball once NFL training camp starts?

Sometimes it feels like the trade deadline July 31 is the last time baseball gets the spotlight, from a coverage/attention point of view. Then NFL training camp starts, followed by the ultra-meaningless preseason games that are really hyped up, (then 20 pages of coverage about Cutler's two, yes, two passes), and baseball doesn't really take center stage again until the World Series.

I work at a bar with one big main TV at the front. Not once, not twice, but THREE times over the past two weeks I was asked to change the channel from a pennant race baseball game (twice it was the Sox) to a pre-season football game. I know I shouldn't complain about other people's preferences, but this always manages to get me frustrated.

Don't get me wrong, I AM a Bears fan. But I am far and away a baseball fan first. Football only really matters to me on Sundays in the fall/winter. I don't hate football, but I can't stand how America and Chicago makes it such a big deal, bigger than baseball, while there are pennant races going on. Or when the Sox tank and a popular post on Sox message boards is "I've got one thing to say: Go Bears!" To me, the Sox are so much more important.

Anyway, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way. Football is king, in this city and in this country, and I should just accept it. But does anybody else resent it a little?

Nice post. Well, living in Chicago sucks as the Bears have to have one of the dumbest and worst fanbases in all of pro sports. It makes all the talk that much more nauseating.

I'll say this too: there is nothing more over-hyped or more pointless in sports than NFL training camp. Honestly, I am shocked people give a flying f*** about it. How fans can listen to hours of radio coverage of that s*** is beyond me.

Of course football fans would argue that "will Brett come back" trumps over everything else in the NFL.

Preseason football is lame. There's a debate about extending the season and shortening the preseason which is totally dumb.

Football would still be my favorite sport but the product that needs no hype has gotten too over hyped. I've got sort of sick of it. I won't watch a game anymore unless it involves my team.

After living in the Midwest so many years, it's hard to waste a Sunday afternoon in the Fall when the weather is so nice outside.

Baseball on the other hand is different. You can enjoy an outdoor activity and enjoy a game on the radio. With other sports you can't do this.

When the Colts finish their season I don't have near the withdrawal when the Sox season is over.

I'm not a football fan at all. I only know anything about the game to begin with due to Fantasy Football. I'm from Western NY, so going to college out here kinda made me a bandwagon Bills fan but I'm in no way a die hard or someone that legitimately suffers when the Bills are just being the Bills baby, but I'd say just due to living in market and the never ending press coverage kinda forced me to at least take a passing interest in it.

Edited by ROC Sox Fan

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
Of course football fans would argue that "will Brett come back" trumps over everything else in the NFL.

Preseason football is lame. There's a debate about extending the season and shortening the preseason which is totally dumb.

Football would still be my favorite sport but the product that needs no hype has gotten too over hyped. I've got sort of sick of it. I won't watch a game anymore unless it involves my team.

After living in the Midwest so many years, it's hard to waste a Sunday afternoon in the Fall when the weather is so nice outside.

Baseball on the other hand is different. You can enjoy an outdoor activity and enjoy a game on the radio. With other sports you can't do this.

When the Colts finish their season I don't have near the withdrawal when the Sox season is over.

Getting those withdrawals yet?

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)

Yes.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
I know the exact feeling.

I think the biggest reason football is so much more popular than any other sport is the short attention span of Americans, and more importantly, the American sports fan.

Yes.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
Nice post. Well, living in Chicago sucks as the Bears have to have one of the dumbest and worst fanbases in all of pro sports. It makes all the talk that much more nauseating.

I'll say this too: there is nothing more over-hyped or more pointless in sports than NFL training camp. Honestly, I am shocked people give a flying f*** about it. How fans can listen to hours of radio coverage of that s*** is beyond me.

This is the reason I'm not a big football fan. Bears fans, although I am one myself, are the worst in the NFL. It's horrible.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)

I couldn't agree more with you.

I find it that much more annoying since I consider the Bears to effectively be the Cubs of the NFL. Yes, they did win a title in some of our lifetimes, but they have a really annoying fan base and a sense of entitlement and royalty that is based entirely on distant history/success versus the present doings of the team. I am fairly certain that if the Cardinals had never moved from Chicago most Sox fans would have grown up Cardinals and not Bears fans.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)

I find it that much more annoying since I consider the Bears to effectively be the Cubs of the NFL. Yes, they did win a title in some of our lifetimes, but they have a really annoying fan base and a sense of entitlement and royalty that is based entirely on distant history/success versus the present doings of the team. I am fairly certain that if the Cardinals had never moved from Chicago most Sox fans would have grown up Cardinals and not Bears fans.

I agree. I think I would like football a whole lot more with a second chicago team.

Since I didn't get into a big ten school originally, college football never really mattered much to me. NIU's team would be exciting, but I could give a s*** less of what UIllinois does as opposed to NU's football team, which I love. By this time this year, I welcome football with open arms, as I can't sit there and watch baseball and care if I believe the Sox to be out of it. If someone asked you to turn the Bears game on over post season baseball, then yes, I would say turn it on, but if we are talking contenders playing each other over a preseason football game, then the MLB game wins (or should win) every day of the week.

The anticipation of what is coming is ALWAYS way cooler than what is going on... regardless of the situation. We're all starved for football while we've watched 118 games of baseball.

I agree with your point that something new always gets the buzz, but I think that general feeling across America/Chicago is much greater with football than it is with any other sport (hockey, basketball, even baseball). NFL Live just dominates ESPN, football coverage leads SportsCenter, people make plans to watch meaningless pre-season football games like they're a big deal and then analyze them like they have real implications.

QUOTE ( @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)

I feel the same way. I would be a bigger football fan if Chicago had a second team- either the Cardinals or some other relocated/expansion team. I guess I just never wanted to admit it because it would effectively be blasphemy to most of my friends and family.

Thinking about it, man, those would be some pretty intense Sox/Cardinals - Cubs/Bears city rivalries.