Damon nixes waiver deal to Red Sox.

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (Big Daddy Kool @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
Buster_ESPN Heard this: Johnny Damon and Brandon Inge are currently passing through waivers. They were placed on waivers Thursday.

I find it hard to believe they will make a deal with a division rival but since they are out of it, this could happen. BTW Stoney said on the SCORE that next week something big will go down. When B & B asked him "what is that going to be" Stoney waffled around the question by saying we will find out next week. I wonder if he knows something we dont?

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
Did Damon only sign for 1 year or 2? Couldn't remember if he chose Det because we wouldn't give a 2nd year. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Updated: February 21, 2010, 8:21 PM ET

Source: Johnny Damon, Tigers agree

ESPN.com news services

Johnny Damon has agreed to a one-year, $8 million deal with the Detroit Tigers, pending a physical, a league source told ESPN's Karl Ravech.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Hell yeah. . get it done!!! He would do wonders for our lineup.

How does this work out with waiver order? I understand the concept of who gets first pick but here's my question- if we claim Damon, would we still maintain the top position to claim Manny or do we drop back a few slots?

Wonder if he is just speculating?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
I find it hard to believe they will make a deal with a division rival but since they are out of it, this could happen. BTW Stoney said on the SCORE that next week something big will go down. When B & B asked him "what is that going to be" Stoney waffled around the question by saying we will find out next week. I wonder if he knows something we dont?

I'd still take him over Kotsay at this point.

From MLBTradeRumors: "Damon has been claimed by an unknown team, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The Tigers now have two days to make a trade with the claiming team, hand the player over with no return, or pull him back. SI's Jon Heyman tweets that he believes the Tigers would be willing to dump Damon for salary relief if a deal cannot be reached."

Is he saying the Tigers would release him or do like the Jays did with Rios?

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
This would be great, but we're still going to need an effective bullpen if we want to win the Central.

We've had that most of the year. Its been a s***ty run the past week or so, but that won't last. Other than Bobby, the bullpen has been very effective this year. And even Bobby has had more good days than bad. This is still an above average bullpen.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
I was gonna say I'd be thrilled if it was the Sox, but Damon is having an average season? Comerica being the reason?

Part is Comerica, in that it doesn't play to his strengths like Yankee Stadium (his home OPS is .020 above his road OPS, last season his home OPS was .120 above his road OPS), part of that though is that he's now 36. His road OPS has dropped from .795 in 2009 to .753 in 2010.

He's had 2 very good months this season, April and July, with OPS on the month of .890 and .981. But the other 3 months he's been quite bad...including August. .571 OPS in August.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
White Sox clearly not interested, if both Sox claimed him, we get the dibs.

That's fine, at this point, I am not convinced he's enough of an impact anyway. Need a substantial upgrade, not a marginal one. I have a feeling we will put a claim in on Manny.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
They get all the claims from all the teams at once and then sort it out. It's not like in this day and age they have to do 30 phone calls one by one.

Right. Which means that the only teams that could have put in a claim were Tampa Bay, Minnesota, New York, and then the NL teams.

Unless he is saying that NL teams with worse records could have claimed him too, but I don't see why that's relevant.