Beckham appreciation thread

Greg Hibbard

.295/.335/.473/.808 in his last 258 abs with 18 2bs, 2 3bs, 8 HRs...even with his horrible April and May, his 162 game avg is .263/.332/.424/.756 with 38 2b, 2 3b, 17 HR...he even somehow is 162-averaging 82 RBI despite living in the 9 hole for most of this year...

Is it finally safe to say this kid is a fixture/starter for the next 4+ seasons at the ML level for our Sox, barring injury?

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
s it finally safe to say this kid is a fixture/starter for the next 4+ seasons at the ML level for our Sox, barring injury?

I've been saying that since we drafted him so I don't see why I'd stop now.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
.295/.335/.473/.808 in his last 258 abs with 18 2bs, 2 3bs, 8 HRs...even with his horrible April and May, his 162 game avg is .263/.332/.424/.756 with 38 2b, 2 3b, 17 HR...he even somehow is 162-averaging 82 RBI despite living in the 9 hole for most of this year...

Is it finally safe to say this kid is a fixture/starter for the next 4+ seasons at the ML level for our Sox, barring injury?

I thought everyone wanted him sent down to the minors earlier? It's great what patience can bring isn't it

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)

No doubt in my mind. Sophomore slumps are common - Troy Tulowitski, Geovany Soto, Josh Hamilton (kind of) - just to name a few recent examples of players whose early impressions turned out to be accurate, eventually. The fact that Gordon's seemingly turned it around already tells me he's primed for a BIG year in '11. Hopefully, he'll be in the two hole. Eventually, I can see him in the 3 hole, if he develops 20+ homer power (shouldn't be a stretch in our park).

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
I thought everyone wanted him sent down to the minors earlier? It's great what patience can bring isn't it

Whatever they are doing now is working. I'd leave it alone. The kid sounds like he has some Konerko in him, where he rides himself pretty hard for mistakes and slumps, so leaving him be might not be a bad idea for now.

QUOTE (C_LEE45 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
Any chances Ozzie puts him back in the 2 hole?

I hope he never goes back to the two hole. Last year, he was second on the team in Avg with RISP (ahead of Konderko, Dye, Ramirez, AJ.) He is a run producer. I truly believe batting him second earlier in the year caused him to change his approach. He was trying to move guys along and not drive the ball. Then he started tinkering with his swing (as he stated during a few interviews) and it took him quite a while to get back to hitting the ball hard.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)
No doubt in my mind. Sophomore slumps are common - Troy Tulowitski, Geovany Soto, Josh Hamilton (kind of) - just to name a few recent examples of players whose early impressions turned out to be accurate, eventually. The fact that Gordon's seemingly turned it around already tells me he's primed for a BIG year in '11. Hopefully, he'll be in the two hole. Eventually, I can see him in the 3 hole, if he develops 20+ homer power (shouldn't be a stretch in our park).

He already basically has 20 homer power (17 over 162 games). I could see him getting to 25, but not much above. I could easily see him hitting for 55 doubles some year soon, though.

I actually like him in the 9 hole, because I like him on 2nd with Pierre and Vizquel/Ramirez coming up, but I really don't like the fact he usually gets one less at bat per game than he probably should.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
Whatever they are doing now is working. I'd leave it alone. The kid sounds like he has some Konerko in him, where he rides himself pretty hard for mistakes and slumps, so leaving him be might not be a bad idea for now.

You got it :headbang

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
He already basically has 20 homer power (17 over 162 games). I could see him getting to 25, but not much above. I could easily see him hitting for 55 doubles some year soon, though.

Agreed.

If he can produce close to 70 XBH's annually starting next season, I figure he'll find his way into an RBI slot.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)

They did. People were as adamant and vicious about that as the other hot topics on here where people think they know more than Oz/KW.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)

I was backing not sending him down earlier in that thread. (give it another month I was saying back then) Not changing that now. Still wished he walked a bit more as he isn't as disciplined as he was when he was struggling (not to mention is striking out more too compared to last year), but hey the average (and the power recently) is rising so I won't complain. I want him no where near the 2 hole anymore especially on an Ozzie Guillen managed team. (though I never wanted him at the 2 spot earlier in the year as I wanted him hitting 3rd... now I'd say hit him 6th now and next season)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
I remember a post in the first Cubs game thread was "Gordon's Last Stand", where if he sucked he was getting sent down.

He's been on fire since.

Since June 11th .298/.341/.510 .850

Beckham! Gotta love the guy.

Also, isn't it amazing Pierre is hitting .290ish right now? Simply amazing. With 50 steals? That guy is the energizer buddy. Never quits. After that horses*** start of his to put up a good batting average. I'd have never thought it.