8/26 Gamethread - O's v. Hose

clyons

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A win here guarantees not only a winning series (first in a while), which is big, but also guarantees the Sox will have gained at least 1.5 games on first this series. And with MIN facing Cliff Lee, it could very well be 2.5 games. I'd call that a successful series.

This Oriole dude may have lefties hitting a ton against him and his ERA is approaching five, but the Sox have never faced him before and we always seem to make these guys look like CY Young. Let's start the chant now and get the karma flowing to the Sox hitters to clobber this Bird

We didn't look good against the Matusz character who had an ERA of near six and we lost two games

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
A win here guarantees not only a winning series (first in a while), which is big, but also guarantees the Sox will have gained at least 1.5 games on first this series. And with MIN facing Cliff Lee, it could very well be 2.5 games. I'd call that a successful series.

I call it very unsuccessful last 2 series. 3-3 against 2 crap teams is not going to cut it. We need to gain as much as possible while the Twins are struggling and we are playing bottom feeders. Our schedule gets a lot tougher and we are likely to lose ground later.

As for Cliff, I have my doubts. I heard he is exhausted and asked out of the game a few starts ago in the 6th inning. Hopefully he can turn it around.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
This Oriole dude may have lefties hitting a ton against him and his ERA is approaching five, but the Sox have never faced him before and we always seem to make these guys look like CY Young. Let's start the chant now and get the karma flowing to the Sox hitters to clobber this Bird

We didn't look good against the Matusz character who had an ERA of near six and we lost two games

I haven't seen the numbers lately, but I remember seeing at some point this season that the Sox had beaten all or nearly all the first-timers they saw this year. Something like 7 straight wins against them. This year is definitely not the same in this regard.

And Matusz is developing, and had been doing very well lately. He's a talented pitcher.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
I call it very unsuccessful last 2 series. 3-3 against 2 crap teams is not going to cut it. We need to gain as much as possible while the Twins are struggling and we are playing bottom feeders. Our schedule gets a lot tougher and we are likely to lose ground later.

As for Cliff, I have my doubts. I heard he is exhausted and asked out of the game a few starts ago in the 6th inning. Hopefully he can turn it around.

Royals series was a disaster, but I wasn't talking about that. I tend to take things series by series. A win here makes it a success - 2 of 3 from a team that came in 13-9 since Showalter took over, and gain 1.5 or 2.5 on the lead. Nothing bad about that at all.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)

Forget that kids era, and look at his stuff. He is learning on the job, and he won't be anything like a 6 era pitcher. He is a great young arm.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
Probably not a bad idea, though I really do think he's just starting to come out of his slump. He doesn't have the power right now, but is AVG is up a bit.

You obviously didn't watch last night. He made Pierre look like a solid #3 hitter.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
That's true, I only watched a few minutes of last night's game. So I'll take your word for it.

I just hope he can snap out of this soon. Hopefully it's not some sort of nagging injury.