Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
I-L-L

After watching Richmond for 3 years in high school, I'm interested to see how he adapts and how quickly to college. Attitude problems? Hope not.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
After watching Richmond for 3 years in high school, I'm interested to see how he adapts and how quickly to college. Attitude problems? Hope not.

I really hope he matures quickly. It would be such a waste of talent if he doesnt.

Go You Redbirds on to battle, Fight for ISU. Wave that banner Red and White to this emblem we'll be true. So let us cheer the Redbirds on victory, every voice proclaim: GO STATE! We've got the fight, We've got the might, let's Win This Game. ISU GO!

I truly admire the commitment from some of you guys to keep us updated on your horrid teams ;p

As for me, I know my Blue Demons will be fairly atrocious but will be watching to see how Coach Purnell does in his first year, how the more uptempo, pressing game will look, and how the 1st year players look. Purnell has at least generated a spark in recruit interest, but he has to close the deal on some big-time recruits just to get us on the path of relevancy again.

I had always maintained that a huge key in DePaul becoming relevant again in the near future was getting some of the good 2011 Chicago area talent to stay home. I'm a lot less happy with the program for their keeping wainwright around way past when they should have as the hire was bad enough. Now we're striking out with everyone, possibly to little, too late, and I will say that I had hoped for a class like illinois. I'll still hold out hope that we can get Shaw I guess...

Your thoughts on Gregg Doyel saying that weber was behind the whole Anthony Davis thing?

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
Your thoughts on Gregg Doyel saying that weber was behind the whole Anthony Davis thing?

I'd pretty much guarantee its not true. Illinois was eliminated really early in that recruitment and didn't really have a dog in the fight. Gregg Doyel is a f***ing joke (this is a guy sporting a mohawk at age 40, brags about his high school athletic achievements and talks about how he could kick your ass, its hard to dream up a bigger douche) who likes to suck off Calipari. The Anthony Davis stuff almost certainly came from a coaching staff actually involved in the recruitment (OSU or Syracuse being the most likely). Illinois didn't do anything about the Derrick Rose stuff and they were much more involved in that recruitment. And I love that Doyel rips on O'Brien for starting a "unsubstantiated rumor" even though O'Brien has sources and pretty much everyone in the AAU scene knew Davis was being bought but then starts his own rumors.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
Gottlieb picking Illinois to win the Big Ten.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/not...d100830/big-ten

Wow, I pretty much dont agree with his entire ranking. One thing is for sure, its gonna be a bloodbath, what a tough conference next season.

I would probably go:

1. Purdue

2. Illinois

3. OSU

4. MSU

5. Minny

6. Wisco

The rest of the crap below. Hard to tell really, though I think Purdue is clearly the top team returning pretty much everyone. There are teams that are good, but pose major matchup problems for other teams. OSU is very light on true guard play, but is strong at the wing and in the post. Illinois should have ridiculous guard play, and MSU, Minny and Purdue having good all around games somewhat. Its really anyone's guess.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
Wow, I pretty much dont agree with his entire ranking. One thing is for sure, its gonna be a bloodbath, what a tough conference next season.

Even as an Illini fan, I dont see us winning the conference. That said, it wouldnt surprise me, but I see a top 4 finish.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
Even as an Illini fan, I dont see us winning the conference. That said, it wouldnt surprise me, but I see a top 4 finish.

Any of the top 4 can win, it's gonna come down to who can win 1 or 2 of those huge road games. And really, even if you finish 4th in the Big Ten this year, that's not bad at all. I'd expect all four to make a 2 weekend trip in the dance.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
Any of the top 4 can win, it's gonna come down to who can win 1 or 2 of those huge road games. And really, even if you finish 4th in the Big Ten this year, that's not bad at all. I'd expect all four to make a 2 weekend trip in the dance.

Exactly, like I said, the individual matchups will play a big role in the outcomes, its a total toss up.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
SIU will be awful again as well.

I keep hoping that Dillard and Book were additions by subtractions in a way, Fay will be consistent, Teague will be a beast, and Diamond will shine.

See what I did there?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
Here's an even harder question to answer: Who is the Big Ten Freshman of the year?

Sullinger without a doubt IMO. He is the best player of a very talented group but more importantly is in the best position to put up big numbers.

Im just wondering how you guys think Wisconsin will finish 6th?

Even if they have what would be considered a horrific home record of 7-2, all they have to do is go above 500 on the road and they finish with a 12-6 record in the Big 10.

Barring a horrific injury to Leur, Id expect Wisconsin to be at worst 12-6 in Big 10 play and finish 4th. If they play up to what I think they should be in the top 3 with a chance for the title.

For a 12-6 record all they have to do is:

At home beat Michigan, PSU, Indiana, Minnesota, NU and go 2-2 vs Illinois, MSU, OSU, Purdue

On road beat Iowa, Penn State, Indiana, Michigan and go 1-4 vs Illinois, Minnesota, MSU, OSU, Purdue

Unless Wisconsin all of a sudden loses their home court magic, its going to be hard for them to ever finish lower than 4th. They may tie with several teams for 3rd or 4th, but its unlikely theyll finish below them.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Im just wondering how you guys think Wisconsin will finish 6th?

Even if they have what would be considered a horrific home record of 7-2, all they have to do is go above 500 on the road and they finish with a 12-6 record in the Big 10.

Barring a horrific injury to Leur, Id expect Wisconsin to be at worst 12-6 in Big 10 play and finish 4th. If they play up to what I think they should be in the top 3 with a chance for the title.

For a 12-6 record all they have to do is:

At home beat Michigan, PSU, Indiana, Minnesota, NU and go 2-2 vs Illinois, MSU, OSU, Purdue

On road beat Iowa, Penn State, Indiana, Michigan and go 1-4 vs Illinois, Minnesota, MSU, OSU, Purdue

Unless Wisconsin all of a sudden loses their home court magic, its going to be hard for them to ever finish lower than 4th. They may tie with several teams for 3rd or 4th, but its unlikely theyll finish below them.

I think Wisconsin is the 5th best team in the Big 10 and that they have no where near the upside of the other 4 teams. It wouldn't shock me if they finish higher than 5th though.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

If this was rank the teams by who will have the most NBA players, I agree that Wisconsin is not up there.

But if the question is where will the teams finish next year, its hard to argue that Wisconsin is not one of the top 4.

Since 2001, Wisconsin has never finished worse than tied for 4th. I guess I just dont see why Purdue, MSU or OSU are considerably better than Wisconsin who beat all of those teams last year. I think its a toss up with the top 4, and that its possible Illinois jumps into the mix, but they are going to be relying on a lot of young guys.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 07:56 PM)
If this was rank the teams by who will have the most NBA players, I agree that Wisconsin is not up there.

But if the question is where will the teams finish next year, its hard to argue that Wisconsin is not one of the top 4.

Since 2001, Wisconsin has never finished worse than tied for 4th. I guess I just dont see why Purdue, MSU or OSU are considerably better than Wisconsin who beat all of those teams last year. I think its a toss up with the top 4, and that its possible Illinois jumps into the mix, but they are going to be relying on a lot of young guys.

? They are relying on 3 seniors, two sophomores (one that started nearly every game of the year, the other played significant minutes) and a blue chip freshman that by all accounts can score at will and actually plays defense. If you're claiming Wisconsin is better than one of these teams, which is it?

It's Wisconsin, so of course they'll be good, but I just don't see them being able to beat the other 4. Of course, I haven't looked at the schedule, so it could be that they have the one or two game scheduling gift (not having the home and home with one of the top 4).

I should say I also wouldn't be shocked if one of the top 4 doesn't play up to expectations. Ill and OSU seem to be the best bet for that. If I'm betting on the winner today, I'm going with Purdue.