Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
Chris Mooney signs a 10 year extension with Richmond instead of taking the GT job. The ghost of Paul Hewitt lives on, and now they're looking at crappier names like Brian Gregory or Wojcik, the Tulsa coach.

So...Shaka and Tubby aren't candidates? That surprises me (especially Tubby).

I do think the rush to get Shaka Smith will be funny...I'm sure almost any BCS or near-BCS school opening will have him at the top of the list. In fact, even schools without openings have fanbases lusting after him (some Daily Herald columnist already wrote that Illinois should open up the checkbook for Smith or fold the program). Shaka may turn out to be a great coach, but his VCU team did not have an awesome regular season and I think it's humorous how a good tourney run on it's own is worth millions of dollars to a coach.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
So...Shaka and Tubby aren't candidates? That surprises me (especially Tubby).

I do think the rush to get Shaka Smith will be funny...I'm sure almost any BCS or near-BCS school opening will have him at the top of the list. In fact, even schools without openings have fanbases lusting after him (some Daily Herald columnist already wrote that Illinois should open up the checkbook for Smith or fold the program). Shaka may turn out to be a great coach, but his VCU team did not have an awesome regular season and I think it's humorous how a good tourney run on it's own is worth millions of dollars to a coach.

Agreed, let me see VCU get in the tourney again next season and win a game or 2 and I'd be all over their coach. Butler's coach on the other hand, if he wanted the job I'd love him taking Weber's job.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 01:08 AM)
Shaka needs to be praying that Tennessee offers him the job. He may be the next great thing but he needs to strike while the iron is hot.

Tenn job has been filled. Shaka would be an amazing fit at GT, but they can't afford him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)
Again, unless you are a cheating piece of s***, it is impossible to rebuild a program from zero scholarship players to a Big Ten contender overnight. It has to happen a part at a time.

Especially when you can't leave the campus to recruit. He has definitely disapointed on the court thus far, but he hasn't had a lot of luck. Our best player and leader when healthy (Creek) has gone down 2 years in a row. Guy Michel was supposed to give us a serviceable bigman and as ruled ineligible. Watford/Jones were out games this year due to injuries. Hulls/Creek/Watford is a pretty good core. Fill that in with Zeller/Oladipo/Sheehey, we start to see some good talent. Spring in the 2012 class, we start to compete for titles.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 09:30 PM)
The UT job is terrible. I'd probably put it 6th out of 6 open right now. Though now it's closed.

And Shaka does not need to go anywhere. He'll have a major job next year too. There's a big difference when you make the Final 4.

I'm hoping you think this b/c you're assuming the NCAA is going to nail us hard with sanctions. Because if not, I'd like to hear your reasoning...

Here's some facts about UT basketball:

1) Facilities are brand-new and on par with the best out there.

2) Even with losing 5 seniors and possibly Hopson & Harris, the roster still has talent. We'll have four former 4-star recruits (2 juniors, 2 sophomores) and two incoming 4-star recruits for next year. I can live with that. Plus, if Tobias Harris isn't drafted in the lottery, they say he'll come back so that would be keeping our best player and one of the Top 10 players from this year's freshman class. I think any coach would be happy working with that kind of talent.

3) We can pay better than most programs, so if a coach does well, he's going to get locked up for many years and a lot of money. The UT athletic department was one of 14 to make a profit last year, and is constantly spending money on our biggest programs - football and basketball.

4) Large, newly remodeled stadium with a great atmosphere that makes it difficult for opponents. As long as we're winning, filling up our arena with 21,000+ fans makes it quite intimidating for opposing teams. That's why we haven't lost at home much in the last 6 seasons under Pearl.

Actually, even with the pending NCAA investigation, I'm going to say it's at worst 3rd of the available jobs - behind GT and NC ST. So again, I'm curious to what you're reasoning is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
Again, unless you are a cheating piece of s***, it is impossible to rebuild a program from zero scholarship players to a Big Ten contender overnight. It has to happen a part at a time.

Big Ten wins: 1, 4, 3.

Overall wins: 6, 10, 12.

Lost at least 20 games all 3 years, finished 11th in the Big Ten twice with a T-9th in there. Not seeing much improvement...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)

I don't remember all of the Sampson history, but is this actually true? I thought the sanctions were a loss of a couple of scholarships (not all) and prohibiting certain recruiting actions. I thought Crean still had a number of guys on scholarship who, his fault or not, left the program. IMO Indiana wasn't in the dire straights people are convincing themselves of. I mean, I have no problem being more patient with Crean because of the uphill battle he had to fight, but it's the complete lack of improvement after year 3 that would really anger me.

And the Richmond/Illinois point is a good one. Problem is, of course, that Weber has been on the hot seat from the fan's perspective for at least 2 years. Hell, in 2007-2008, the first year they were a one and done in the tourney, the fire Weber bandwagon started to fill. Crean meanwhile is getting a pass despite having his guys in there.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
I don't remember all of the Sampson history, but is this actually true? I thought the sanctions were a loss of a couple of scholarships (not all) and prohibiting certain recruiting actions. I thought Crean still had a number of guys on scholarship who, his fault or not, left the program. IMO Indiana wasn't in the dire straights people are convincing themselves of. I mean, I have no problem being more patient with Crean because of the uphill battle he had to fight, but it's the complete lack of improvement after year 3 that would really anger me.

Crean removed the remaining dregs of Sampson's year by dumping a total of 5 guys...several of whom were reportedly on various mind-altering substances at the time. At least one other had academic and "other" eligibility issues. He started off with 1 sophomore, 1 senior, and a walkon. None of whom were starters under Sampson.

The school also accepted a punishment of a loss of scholarship and other recruiting restrictions, to go along with a 3 year "Probation" period, which naturally would make rebuilding even tougher.

Yep, 19 F's and multiple failed drug tests were with the 5 guys that were left. They wouldn't have been eligible, even if they stayed. Crean had to find a new squad of players to add to walk-ons Kyle Taber and Brett Finklemeyer. and he wasn't allowed to leave campus to do so.

Adding on...this year will be the first year Crean will have been coach where he will have a full complement of scholarships to work with, and it will also be effectively the first year where he will have any seniors at all. And we all know how useful seniors are just in helping build the program by teaching the youngsters.

Furthermore, the Seniors this year will be guys that he recruited in his first year to fill the gaps. They were given chances to play a lot of minutes as Freshmen...but the recruiting classes for his first couple years were guys who signed on to IU with the understanding that they probably weren't going to even make the tournament in their first few years, if at all, which is not exactly a great way to recruit legit players.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
So, is Matt Painter using Missouri to get more money from Purdue, or is he jumping off the smoldering from bad recruiting the last 4 classes ship in West Lafayette before it turns into an all out fire?

Ha believe me a lot of scarred Missouri fans (which, really, is redundant) are thinking it's the former. It's clear he is Mizzou's top choice. The question is how much interest Painter has.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Supposedly, Painter to Mizzou for 14 million over 7 years.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/missouri-ti...missouri-purdue

This is surprisingly entertaining. Illini message boards are stuffed full of posts hoping Painter goes to Mizzou and Weber leaves UI for Purdue. Of course, they are delusional about how attractive the Illinois program is and the quality of coach they would get to replace Weber (Stevens isn't leaving Butler for Illinois...).

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 02:34 AM)
This is surprisingly entertaining. Illini message boards are stuffed full of posts hoping Painter goes to Mizzou and Weber leaves UI for Purdue. Of course, they are delusional about how attractive the Illinois program is and the quality of coach they would get to replace Weber (Stevens isn't leaving Butler for Illinois...).

If they throw enough money at him he might. Illinois is the kind of program that would fit him perfectly - midwest, big ten, "small" community but tons of fans. He's within mere hours of his recruiting home and would have the opportunity to start getting kids from Chicago. Is he gonna leave for a 10% raise? No. But a couple million a year? 5-6 year long deal? I could see it.

But Weber isn't going anywhere. The admn likes him, and so does Guenther.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
There are only seven jobs that I can really see Stevens going for:

Duke

UNC

Kansas

UCLA

Mich St.

Indiana

Ohio State

So I am guessing he is referring to IU.

Yeah, I don't see him leaving for any jobs but those. I'd even debate Mich. St. and maybe even Ohio St and UCLA. I think Indiana is his dream job. If he had any interest in Illinois I think he'd be just as interested in Purdue.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
There are only seven jobs that I can really see Stevens going for:

Duke

UNC

Kansas

UCLA

Mich St.

Indiana

Ohio State

So I am guessing he is referring to IU.

The Syracuse and UConn jobs should be opening soon. Unless he's dead set on staying in the mid-west I could see him potentially being interested in one of those. Arguably the top two programs in the Northeast and perennially have solid to great teams.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
Yeah, I don't see him leaving for any jobs but those. I'd even debate Mich. St. and maybe even Ohio St and UCLA. I think Indiana is his dream job. If he had any interest in Illinois I think he'd be just as interested in Purdue.

Illinois is a much better job than Purdue if you want to compete for national titles and final fours. Not even comparable. There probably isn't really much of a difference between the Illinois and MSU (assuming money equal) job either. Izzo is an unreal coach, but in terms of facilities, recruiting base, name brand, etc there isn't a whole lot different.