Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Yeah, I want to see Zeller. 9 Eastern on ESPN2, right?

Ill have to check, but I think thats right. I believe he is starting for the West? I think him and Amir Williams are switching off for the game.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
@ SethDavisHoops Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post Dispatch has reported that Matt Painter called Missouri AD Mike Alden to accept his offer.

Wow. For some reason, I never realized that Painter played for Purdue as well. I don't know how much more Mizzou is paying him, but thats a huge get for them. Stealing a successful coach from his alma mater at a program thats on a similar level, if not higher.

Kudos to the Jibronis on this site that predicted this months ago

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1205905

Some observations from practice. Theres a link for the east squad as well.

Solid writeup, thanks. Sounds like everything else I've heard about Zeller. Not flashy, but very good. I actually like that more, it means he's more likely to stick around longer instead of leaving earlier.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 08:48 PM)
Solid writeup, thanks. Sounds like everything else I've heard about Zeller. Not flashy, but very good. I actually like that more, it means he's more likely to stick around longer instead of leaving earlier.

Just from watching you can see the agility and a surprising passing touch, but holy hell is he skinny. He won't be doing much against Big Ten bigs at least until his sophomore year.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)
Just from watching you can see the agility and a surprising passing touch, but holy hell is he skinny. He won't be doing much against Big Ten bigs at least until his sophomore year.

My thoughts exactly. He had two real nice passes that led to buckets, but he's just not as strong yet. Which, of course, means he'll fit in with the rest of our bigs.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
That went from maybe Mizzou to probably Purdue to "100%" going to Mizzou, to Purdue announcing an 8-year extension. Now please, can we get Shaka.

That was heartbreaking. Everyone of these 'wait-to-unfold' events like this has not ended up in my favor.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
That was heartbreaking. Everyone of these 'wait-to-unfold' events like this has not ended up in my favor.

Ha. Hey at least I realized early on this year that the team was going to be a disappointment. If we land Shaka Smart I'm happy Painter stayed.

The coaching carousel is pretty entertaining: Weber talking to OU

Again, Illini boards filling up with posts begging for Weber to be hired away. If it does happen, I think the Illini fanbase would be pretty disappointed in who the replacement would be. I don't think the program is as attractive they think it is (although that's probably true of most fanbases).

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
If Weber bolted for Norman, who are the reasonable candidates to replace him?

My first choice would be Chris Collins from Duke. Knows the area/from the area. Been a top assistant at an incredibly successful school. Great relationships with Illinois coaches as he is the Illinois recruiter for Duke.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
Oh boy, here we go. I'm not jumping on the "let him go" bandwagon though.

Lol, I am! Also:

BrianABirchell Source close to the OU program tells me tonight Bruce Weber will be named the next OU head coach as early as Friday...

Note: it's Twitter, so take it with a grain of salt.

Grass is always greener on the other side, right?

See, who the hell would we hire? No one better than Bruce is my guess. Who wants to come work for a departing AD, too? And then recruits could leave, assistants could leave, etc.

No thanks.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 11:05 PM)
Grass is always greener on the other side, right?

See, who the hell would we hire? No one better than Bruce is my guess. Who wants to come work for a departing AD, too? And then recruits could leave, assistants could leave, etc.

No thanks.

Well I do agree the timing of this would not be good. Ideally, Weber would get canned sometime in earlier March after a season with the new AD in place. But Bruce Weber inherited a program in great shape, and has railroaded it into irrelevance. As long as he's coach, I see no reason to believe the basketball program will do anything of note. So if he's going, good riddance. Two NCAA tournament wins, no Big Ten regular season or tournament titles, and no Sweet 16's in the six seasons since 2005.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I wouldn't say railroaded into irrelevance, that's a bit much, but whatever. Also, you can't just discredit 05, as much as you'd like to. I hate that whole argument.

Recruiting took a dip, which was the biggest problem, but now it's been corrected.

Again, unless we have someone named Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart coming here (LOL), I'll keep em. This also isn't a "top" program, so not sure who you're looking to hire - or if you want Guenther making it.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
I wouldn't say railroaded into irrelevance, that's a bit much, but whatever. Also, you can't just discredit 05, as much as you'd like to. I hate that whole argument.

Recruiting took a dip, which was the biggest problem, but now it's been corrected.

Again, unless we have someone named Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart coming here (LOL), I'll keep em. This also isn't a "top" program, so not sure who you're looking to hire - or if you want Guenther making it.

Bruce Pearl is available... :P