Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 12:15 AM)
Mizzou just hired Frank Haith? WTF? Really hoping this isn't true, but it's sounding pretty real. Zen, I think you should be thanking my school for taking this s***ty coach off your hands. WTF.

I'm at a loss for words if this is true. I'm really happy he's gone but I also feel the need to tell you I'm sorry.

I dont know how a school like Missouri makes this hire. I mean what has Haith done in his career that would make a top 25 school want him? Baffling...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 12:36 AM)
Mazel tov Zen!

I'm still waiting on the news feed that the deal fell apart. I mean we have an interim AD right now so there is no chance of Haith being fired. He's got 2 years and $3M left on a contract and since we're paying Randy Shannon not to coach, there is no way Miami does the same with Haith. This is too good to be true.

Apparently the Weber to OU rumors were just Weber trying to leave a sinking ship...OU wasn't interested, which makes a lot more sense than OU being interested. From the Tulsa World OU Blog

What I heard: Bruce Weber, who caught fire last Wednesday night when I blogged and the Norman Transcript reported that there was "mutual interest" between OU and the Illinois coach, did in fact contact the Sooners. Or he had someone do it for him.

His problem was the Sooners weren't quite as worked up about him.

Best guess as to what really happened: Weber, never Mr. Popular even when he was winning with the Illini, is one non-NCAA tournament season from deep trouble. He would have taken OU if offered. He might have taken Bradley if offered. Well, OK, maybe not Bradley. Wyoming.

OU, knowing full well how much of an enemy Weber has made of Kansas coach Bill Self, wasn't about to take the risk. Now that KU is on the Sooners' schedule twice a year, Self might not have rested until he had crushed Weber's spirit, breaking the OU program in the process.

Kruger, a friend to practically everyone in the coaching industry, will be allowed to worry about his team only. That's good, since it might occupy him a little while.

Sounds like Smart is going to stay at VCU. They lose 4 out of their top 5 players so this is an interesting decision considering it is pretty likely they won't even be in the NCAA tournament next year. It will be interesting to see if Smart was just a flash in the pan or if he is a legit coach over the next few years.

Sounds like Barnes is staying at UNC.

Smart move. I know he got better as the year went along and was one of the best in the country by tournament time but I think a complete season on the college level would be good for his pro game.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
Sounds like Barnes is staying at UNC.

Smart move. I know he got better as the year went along and was one of the best in the country by tournament time but I think a complete season on the college level would be good for his pro game.

Meh. You can improve just as much and probably more by playing in the NBA and Barnes appears to be a very hard worker so I have no doubt even if he was getting paid that he would put in the work. Get the money when you can get it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
Meh. You can improve just as much and probably more by playing in the NBA and Barnes appears to be a very hard worker so I have no doubt even if he was getting paid that he would put in the work. Get the money when you can get it.

I agree about his work ethic and think he has a good head on his shoulders. Just think if he was good all season, than I would see him leaving, but to put together a complete soph season wouldn't hurt.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
Damn, if Barnes and either of their bigs stay, UNC is going to be pretty damn good.

Yep, but these reports of Barnes staying are premature. It all started with a random Twitter post, and went from there. Nothing substantial yet.

I think Zeller would be silly to return after the tournament he just had, but I won't complain.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)
Yep, but these reports of Barnes staying are premature. It all started with a random Twitter post, and went from there. Nothing substantial yet.

I think Zeller would be silly to return after the tournament he just had, but I won't complain.

Zeller (and Henson) are a completely different story when it comes to draft stock. Barnes is a consensus top-5 pick (maybe higher), those kind of guys rarely go back to school (Griffin and Noah are the only recent ones that come to mind, and Sullinger from all indications). Henson usually shows up as a fringe lottery guy at best and Zeller is closer to 20. Both could potentially end up in the lottery with another year of development, with Henson potentially making the high lottery. There's certainly value in being a lock first rounder, but probably less so in a likely lockout year.

Just based on draft stock, Barnes leaving makes by far the most sense, followed by Henson and then Zeller a distant third. Obviously that doesn't mean that they'll stay though.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 07:10 PM)
Zeller (and Henson) are a completely different story when it comes to draft stock. Barnes is a consensus top-5 pick (maybe higher), those kind of guys rarely go back to school (Griffin and Noah are the only recent ones that come to mind, and Sullinger from all indications). Henson usually shows up as a fringe lottery guy at best and Zeller is closer to 20. Both could potentially end up in the lottery with another year of development, with Henson potentially making the high lottery. There's certainly value in being a lock first rounder, but probably less so in a likely lockout year.

Just based on draft stock, Barnes leaving makes by far the most sense, followed by Henson and then Zeller a distant third. Obviously that doesn't mean that they'll stay though.

From hearing from his friends in Ames, he's leaning towards staying.

Jereme Richmond declares for the NBA. Well I hope he enjoys Europe because there is a pretty good chance he doesn't get drafted. Although I'm guessing he didn't have much choice in the matter and wasn't going to be welcomed back next year by the university.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
Jereme Richmond declares for the NBA. Well I hope he enjoys Europe because there is a pretty good chance he doesn't get drafted. Although I'm guessing he didn't have much choice in the matter and wasn't going to be welcomed back next year by the university.

I just can't help but laugh. After all the hype and talk for 4 years, we get under 250 points scored, 6 games started, and 2 "DNP-Suspension" in the tournament. I guess all the rumors and whispers throughout his high school days were true.