Chicago White Sox. Kansas City Royals. 6:05 PM CST

Kyyle23

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 04:11 AM)
The 25-5 run was sensational, but a huge tease.

I also remember reading that people said "whatever happens I'll remember the 25-5."

Well, stand by your words, cause this team wasn't good enough.

The lengths you go to in order to deflect criticism away from Guillen amazes me. Sure, we'll remember the great 30 game stretch. Doesn't mean we can't also remember how one single personnel decision by Ozzie had a huge impact on the AL Central this season. That's probably the 4th or 5th game that Thome has single-handedly won for the Twins since the ASB. Next thing you know, you'll probably say that it wasn't Ozzie's decision.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 04:16 AM)
The lengths you go to in order to deflect criticism away from Guillen amazes me. Sure, we'll remember the great 30 game stretch. Doesn't mean we can't also remember how one single personnel decision by Ozzie had a huge impact on the AL Central this season. That's probably the 4th or 5th game that Thome has single-handedly won for the Twins since the ASB. Next thing you know, you'll probably say that it wasn't Ozzie's decision.

I remember people so happy saying no matter what that made the season.

Look, you have no way of telling whether Big Jim woulda been this good for us.

Oz wanted Kotsay/Jones, fine. Blame him. KW needs to make the personnel decisions; he didn't. Big deal.

The pitching has been inconsistent as well.

IT AINT OUR YEAR.

It ain't Oz's fault. It just ain't.

I thought after we won it all we'd dominate our division our least and make the playoffs A LOT.

It ain't happened.

s*** happens. Life baseball wise sure can suck.

Aint.Oz's.Fault.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 05:19 AM)

Oz wanted Kotsay/Jones, fine. Blame him. KW needs to make the personnel decisions; he didn't. Big deal.

IT AINT OUR YEAR.

So saying "It ain't our year" excuses everyone from accountability?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
The 25-5 run was sensational, but a huge tease.

I also remember reading that people said "whatever happens I'll remember the 25-5."

Well, stand by your words, cause this team wasn't good enough.

26-5 or 38-13.

It's interesting, the Sox had a 38-13 run and 24-33 run, while the Twins had a 27-34 run, and a their current 38-15 run.

Pretty close, but the Sox record against the Twins still stands. You can't go 5-10 against the main rival and expect to win.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
Like half of Soxtalk didn't want to get rid of Thome. Get real.

It's not Ozzie.

It's just NOT OUR SEASON again.

If you can sleep better blaming a great manager like Ozzie, more power to ya.

Half of Soxtalk is also stupid and thinks Thome wasn't a great player for the Sox so I don't give a damn what they think. If you sign a competent DH then letting Thome go is fine. Deciding to go with Mark f***ing Kotsay when there were better option available for basically nothing is one of the dumbest decisions imaginable and the fact that Ozzie thought this was a good move makes me really question his ability to determine what a good baseball player is.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 04:30 AM)
Half of Soxtalk is also stupid and thinks Thome wasn't a great player for the Sox so I don't give a damn what they think. If you sign a competent DH then letting Thome go is fine. Deciding to go with Mark f***ing Kotsay when there were better option available for basically nothing is one of the dumbest decisions imaginable and the fact that Ozzie thought this was a good move makes me really question his ability to determine what a good baseball player is.

I agree Oz should not be the GM. He should manage the talent.

That didn't happen with this decision.

Shame on Kenny for letting Oz make the call.

But you must admit our team is perplexing.

We go 25-5 and look iike we'll never lose.

All the players and KW think we can stay pat and Oz. And we make no move, and guess what, WE NEEDED HELP.

The 25-5 and 38-13 was great but we needed more.

That Thome thing did not cost us the season.

Right now WE CANT BEAT TEAMS IN THE CENTRAL and that isn't cause of our DH situation.

The one move we made was stupid.

Jackson for Hudson.

Manny arrived too late.

And off steroids, he looks like a husky singles hitter to me.

Big deal.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
I agree Oz should not be the GM. He should manage the talent.

That didn't happen with this decision.

Shame on Kenny for letting Oz make the call.

But you must admit our team is perplexing.

We go 25-5 and look iike we'll never lose.

All the players and KW think we can stay pat and Oz. And we make no move, and guess what, WE NEEDED HELP.

The 25-5 and 38-13 was great but we needed more.

That Thome thing did not cost us the season.

Right now WE CANT BEAT TEAMS IN THE CENTRAL and that isn't cause of our DH situation.

The one move we made was stupid.

Jackson for Hudson.

Manny arrived too late.

And off steroids, he looks like a husky singles hitter to me.

Big deal.

So having a DH with a .900+ OPS wouldn't put us in a better position to beat teams from the Central?

Holy s***. His OPS is actually 1.048. Yeah, he wouldn't have made a difference at all.

Edited by Jordan4life

How do you know he'd have done this with the Sox?

WIth Thome you think we win this division? I don't.

We actually were in pretty good shape but the Sox refused to make a move and again it was the wrong decision.

We were doing just fine w/out Thome. Sox had a chance to improve and passed on it.

The Sox were supposed to dominate on the mound. I wouldn't call what our starters have done as domination.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)

We actually were in pretty good shape but the Sox refused to make a move and again it was the wrong decision.

We were doing just fine w/out Thome. Sox had a chance to improve and passed on it.

The Sox were supposed to dominate on the mound. I wouldn't call what our starters have done as domination.

It is impossible to say whether the Sox would win the division with Thome but we certainly would be in a much better position to win it with Thome than without him. With Thome this team likely has 3 or 4 more wins than they do right now and if you take Thome off the Twins they are probably a couple of games worse which obviously would put the Sox in great position to win the division.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 06:09 AM)
It is impossible to say whether the Sox would win the division with Thome but we certainly would be in a much better position to win it with Thome than without him. With Thome this team likely has 3 or 4 more wins than they do right now and if you take Thome off the Twins they are probably a couple of games worse which obviously would put the Sox in great position to win the division.

Stil the Sox were right there at the AS Break.

Kenny, Ozzie, Paulie et. all said no changes were necessary. They were wrong.

Then we trade a future star in Hudson for Jackson, who has been fine.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)

Was Thome Dan Pasqua when he was a Sox or something? Are you that shocked by the season he's having? I'll admit an OPS over .1000 is a little surprising. But the guy could obviously still mash. And if Ozzie didn't want to make him the full-time DH, fine. There would have been a good 400 PAs available for Thome, even with this stupid rotating DH debacle. But Ozzie clearly said there would be no at bats for Thome here. He was obsessed with having all his DHs capable of playing the field. You know, like how Terry Francona and Ron Washington obsess over David Ortiz and Vlad Guerrero being able to play the field.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)

IT AINT OUR YEAR.

I thought after we won it all we'd dominate our division our least and make the playoffs A LOT.

It ain't happened.

s*** happens. Life baseball wise sure can suck.

Aint.Oz's.Fault.

40 year old Thome is the Twins MVP.

He's played inspired baseball since Guillen dissed him a few weeks ago. I'm very happy for him.

I wonder if Sox management will get a share of the Twins playoff money. They were just as instrumental as anyone else in the Twins success.

What sorry decision-makers they are.

Well let's hope they make better decisions next year.

I prefer to not dwell on this Thome crap.

There are tons of reasons we ain't winning s***.

And we need major changes for next year. We are closer to being a .440 team than a .650 team.

We acquired Teahen. He sucked.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)
40 year old Thome is the Twins MVP.

He's played inspired baseball since Guillen dissed him a few weeks ago. I'm very happy for him.

I wonder if Sox management will get a share of the Twins playoff money. They were just as instrumental as anyone else in the Twins success.

What sorry decision-makers they are.

The whole situation is sorry, all of it.

Anyone who didn't see this coming since the instant the Twins signed Thome was kidding themselves. The personal dis of a 1st ballot HOF'er is so Ozzie and such immensely bad karma.

The Sox won't see the playoffs again until all the dysfunctional "family" members are gone.

Still, the Twinkies will be eliminated in the first round. Book it.

You guys are all second guessing deluxe.

Nobody knew Thome would succeed this year, just as nobody

knew Crede would suck last year.

One man did not ruin our season.

Our pitching has failed us on MANY occasions.

We have many holes in our lineup, not just the absence of Thome who many Sox fans wanted to run out of town.

Second guessing is easy but not always right.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 12:49 AM)

We have many holes in our lineup, not just the absence of Thome who many Sox fans wanted to run out of town.

Considering Thome has been a successful hitter every single year since 1993 (except for when he was hurt in 2005) it was a safe bet Thome would be successful this year. And considering Crede clearly was having back problems it was very likely he wouldn't produce last year. We have other holes in our lineup but the biggest one is at DH where the only requirement for the position is being a good hitter. Instead we go with a below league average hitter, with no wheels, who can only play first base so he doesn't even give us flexibility or any production at the plate. Unbelievably dumb decision and plenty of people were saying that before the season began. And frankly it is hilarious that anyone would want to run out of town a guy who was arguably the Sox most productive hitter last year.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 01:24 AM)
Considering Thome has been a successful hitter every single year since 1993 (except for when he was hurt in 2005) it was a safe bet Thome would be successful this year. And considering Crede clearly was having back problems it was very likely he wouldn't produce last year. We have other holes in our lineup but the biggest one is at DH where the only requirement for the position is being a good hitter. Instead we go with a below league average hitter, with no wheels, who can only play first base so he doesn't even give us flexibility or any production at the plate. Unbelievably dumb decision and plenty of people were saying that before the season began. And frankly it is hilarious that anyone would want to run out of town a guy who was arguably the Sox most productive hitter last year.

My dad's response to all this was "What did they win with Jim Thome?"

I struck back with: "What did they win with Nellie Fox? Luis Aparicio? (his two all time favorites and childhood heroes)" "An American League Pennant" "What about Fisk, Baines, or a full season of Frank?" "..."

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 01:49 AM)

Greg don't you remember everybody ripping you last year about it being time to let go of Crede?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 01:24 AM)

And he wanted to come back for a fraction of what Manny cost for one month.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 06:46 AM)
Greg don't you remember everybody ripping you last year about it being time to let go of Crede?

Yes. But this Thome thing is ridiculous. Nobody points out to me my counter argument that we were in the race without Thome at the break. We just didn't add the bat we needed at the time.