Quentin

Little Nell

What do you think the Sox are going to do with him.

Will we ever see another 2008 season from him?

I'm not quite ready to give up on him even though he is a head case and without a doubt the ultimate streak player and he is no Al Kaline in right field. That leaves DH and I don't know how he would handle that and then who could we get to play RF.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What he is: Marcus Thames

What he isn't: An everyday Right Fielder

What he should be if he returns in 2011: A DH platoon with Mark Teahen and an emergency outfielder, NOT an "Ozzie Platoon" outfielder.

What I would try to do if I were KW: Package him for another mid arb year outfielder that can defend their position. Just dreaming here: Ryan Ludwick

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
Defensively, he's a DH. Maybe see if he can play 1B, but he's probably not going to be very good there. Offensively, if the Sox let him go I think they will rue the day they made that decision.

Thats what I'm scared of, he will wind up on the Yankees and hit 50 HRs with 120 RBIs.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
Personally I don't want him traded just yet, if he can become our DH and occasionally play LF/RF would be fine with me.

I don't understand this logic.

If he is not a good enough defender to play a position everyday, why is it acceptable that he just plays there "occasionally"?

If he is not a good enough defender to play a position everyday, why is it acceptable that he just plays there "occasionally"?

While I agree with that logic I still think that he's an adequate leftfielder. I would prefer the Sox keep him and have him play left next year. Ofcourse, they won't because they will play Pierre. I would rather see Pierre gone.

Quentin is still only 28 and probably entering his prime years. I would not give him up easily. He could have huge OPS for years to come. The guy plays to win and I would keep him.

Why trade him anyway ? They won't need starting pitching. All they will need, once again ,is a big LH bat.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
He's been slumping for 2 years except for a 2 week stretch earlier this year.

Been hurt too. That may be part of the problem. Let's not get into the habit of disposing of a player becasue of a bad year knowing he has lots of talent and drive. It always seems we are about "what have you done for me NOW!" and not to think of the future. Look at Swisher. He goes to the NYY and is a spark plug and nearly hitting .300.

I think we put too much pressure on him to start the season. He had a great season in 2008 and hasn't don't much outside of that. To bat him third and hope he helps carry this team was too much for him.

I'd keep him and bat him 6th or 7th. We need a solid left handed bat for 3rd or 4th in the lineup.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday (proof):

Looking back, might the Sox have been better off, value-wise, taking Mike Rizzo up on his Quentin-for-Adam Dunn offer in July? At the time, that offer seemed ridiculous, especially with Quentin warming up in June and July. But now (only in retrospect, of course) it's a worthwhile question. That would have netted the Sox a half season of the surging Dunn, plus two high draft picks. From a value standpoint, that is more than the Sox could get for Quentin, barring some big hot streak, if they traded him the day after the season ended.

At the time I thought Rizzo was crazy for asking for Quentin. I was against that trade, and I think Kenny was right to turn it down. But it's funny now- half year of Dunn plus two high draft picks- we probably couldn't get that much for him in a trade today.

That said, the Sox might be better off keeping him and hoping he builds value back next year than dumping him Swisher-style and watching him flourish with a new team.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 08:59 AM)

Because the organization wants to stay away from a just a DH, player like Thome who can't play on the field.

You make Quentin your DH and when your RF needs a day off you can put Quentin in the outfield.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
Because the organization wants to stay away from a just a DH, player like Thome who can't play on the field.

You make Quentin your DH and when your RF needs a day off you can put Quentin in the outfield.

I realize Thome "doesn't" play the field anymore but he could play 1B as good as Quentin can play RF.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
I like Quentin. He needs to harness his energy in the right direction and that is hard hit balls going over the fence 35 to 45 times a year, He should stay with the Sox

I like him, too, but he's been a big reason for our offensive woes.