Chairman Stepping In To Keep Konerko?

Marty34

Don't get too excited. Here's a KW quote:

"That's pretty much all I'm going to say on it, because I don't know what the future holds," added Williams. "I don't know how we are going to finish.

"We are driven by the revenue stream that comes in. People might not like it but it is what it is. We have to at least be able to be a break-even operation, and try to win at the same time."

Better enjoy the next week or so of Manny before he decides to take another vacation, as he and Mark Teahen, may just cost you Konerko.

At least KW finally clarified the break even operation. Notice he said "at least".

Edited by Dick Allen

CHICAGO -- Paul Konerko has been a fixture with the White Sox since 1999, serving as a leader both on the field and in the clubhouse.

Although Konerko is set to become a free agent after this current 2010 campaign, White Sox general manager Ken Williams made it clear via exclusive comments to MLB.com that Konerko is part of the franchise's future plans.

"I would love to have him retire as a White Sox," said Williams.

Williams did not stop at that blanket statement.

Konerko is and always will be a valued member of the organization and is playing through one of his best seasons with a .318 average, 34 home runs and 99 RBIs entering Sunday's finale against the Royals. But even with Konerko being a special case, factoring in his association as one of the faces of the franchise and team captain, the personnel decisions ultimately will come down to how the White Sox finish and the money available for 2011 and beyond.

"That's pretty much all I'm going to say on it, because I don't know what the future holds," added Williams. "I don't know how we are going to finish.

"We are driven by the revenue stream that comes in. People might not like it but it is what it is. We have to at least be able to be a break-even operation, and try to win at the same time."

Other tough decisions will need to be made by the White Sox, with Mark Buehrle possibly standing as the only member of the 2005 World Series team still with the White Sox next year. A.J. Pierzynski and Freddy Garcia join Konerko in free agency, while Bobby Jenks is arbitration-eligible.

But manager Ozzie Guillen won't think about losing his charges and friends until the season's end.

"Every year we're going to lose something," Guillen said. "And this year it might be more special because I don't know who we're going to lose and who we're going to keep. We'll have to wait and see.

"When we come back to Chicago [at the end of the month] to play, who do we play? Boston? Boston and Cleveland. I might think about it. Right now, I'm not even close, maybe the last couple series, maybe the last couple games, yes. I have to. They've been playing for me for a long time."

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
3 years $36 million?

Without knowing the salary limits for the team...I'd consider matching another team if that's what it took.

Honestly though, I'd be surprised if any other team would go that far for him. Abreu had a great year last year but only wound up with 2/$18. Most of the teams that could use a 1b bat are in the NL, and a lot of them won't have money to spend.

Top of that list is San Francisco, they might be legit competition...but in terms of giving a guy in his mid 30's a 3 year deal, I'm not sure they'll go for that any more.

Otherwise, most of the teams that might spend money have a 1b and wouldn't sign him as a Dh. Boston (Youk), NYY (Tex), LAA (Morales, with Abreu filling DH spot), NYM (Davis), LAD (Loney and a divorce). Atlanta could use him but they never seem to spend tons of money. Texas could use him but they are coming up on needing to extend Hamilton and just came out of bankruptcy. Toronto could use him but they're in cost-cutting mode. Baltimore bid on him last time but they're so far away right now that I doubt PK14 would want to go there. Tampa could really use him but they're going to be losing guys anyway. Arizona; Laroche and Allen, they're 2 deep there.

There's probably going to be an actual glut of 1b types on the market this offseason.

Weird thing is, lately...I've been thinking a lot...if Morneau is seriously impaired long-term, and they have any insurance on his contract, they'll probably even be looking to spend money there, and the Twins aren't dumb enough to neglect the fact that signing him would cripple one of their biggest competitors.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
Just think, last year at this time a lot of posters wanted the Sox to pay money to have Paulie play elsewhere.

Of course. A lot of posters just recently only want Paulie back if it's under good financial terms. As I recall most were not in favor of 3 years.

Off topic, Paulie would be a great hitting coach for big men/sluggers.

He hits home runs a lot, but also knows how to spray singles and doubles when needed. What a stud.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
Don't get too excited. Here's a KW quote:

Better enjoy the next week or so of Manny before he decides to take another vacation, as he and Mark Teahen, may just cost you Konerko.

At least KW finally clarified the break even operation. Notice he said "at least".

I'm sure the Sox more than break even every year after seeing those leaked financial documents for other teams.

Well I mean of course people feel different about Konerko getting an extension when he is hitting .220 going into August, following a year where he was pretty average (2008 and 2007) compared to a year where he is a legit MVP candidate having the best year of his career, let alone in this contract. Why do people want to act like they know something everybody else didn't?

Why no?

The Sox have money. It's not your money.

There are no guarantees we are going to win s***. Might as well have a good guy like Paulie signed for three more years at 10-12 million a year.

Who cares if he ultimately f***s up. He deserves the cash.

It's pretty apparent to me the Sox will always spend enough to be .500ish. They can't risk having crowds fall to 20,000 the entire summer.

So pay Paulie.

The Sox formula for winning a WS in the future is going to remain the same. Have the pieces in place IF EVERYTHING GOES RIGHT during a season.

Career years galore, etc.

So fear not. Pay the man. The Sox can afford it. If not, and Jerry sells the team, he's going to get so much money for this team it'll make his head spin.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 02:22 AM)
Why no?

The Sox have money. It's not your money.

There are no guarantees we are going to win s***. Might as well have a good guy like Paulie signed for three more years at 10-12 million a year.

Who cares if he ultimately f***s up. He deserves the cash.

It's pretty apparent to me the Sox will always spend enough to be .500ish. They can't risk having crowds fall to 20,000 the entire summer.

So pay Paulie.

The Sox formula for winning a WS in the future is going to remain the same. Have the pieces in place IF EVERYTHING GOES RIGHT during a season.

Career years galore, etc.

So fear not. Pay the man. The Sox can afford it. If not, and Jerry sells the team, he's going to get so much money for this team it'll make his head spin.

The Sox do have money, but they can't afford to tie up all of their money in a handful of players. I for one think they should do everything possible to bring back Konerko. I think he deserves and will get $8-$12 million a year, but I doubt the Sox would offer more than a two year contract. I could see 2/$20 million, and I'd be fine with that.

Does Paulie even want to come back to the Sox?

He might want the proverbial change of scenery. The past couple seasons have been pretty f***ed up for our organization.

I'm sure Thome has had a blast in Minnie.

Do we even know if Paulie wants to come back? He's probably too classy to say anything but yes in the media.

I like Ozzie but does he want to leave the circus?