Manny Should Just Retire...

Paulie4Pres

No offense to the ManRam fans, but he needs to just hang it up. It's obvious he's pretty much useless when not on the juice. The guy just CANNOT catch up to any good fastballs anymore, and his clutch hitting ability is GONE. I will honestly be upset if the Sox bring him back next year. Strikeout after strikeout. See ya Manny, way to suck when not cheating.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know how you could expect him to be the guy all juiced up in 2008 when he hit LA. I would have expected him to provide more than he has, which, despite what some will say is NOTHING, but he wasn't a difference maker. As Bobby V. said, it was a desperation move that wouldn't work. He was slammed here for that comment, but it was right. I really wonder if Manny is close to the most ABs he's had in his career without an extra base hit or RBI.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
Ridiculous pickup.

We were already 3/4 buried when he arrived.

Even so, he just has nothing left to offer the game of baseball. The guy NEEDS to be juicing, that much is obvious to anyone that has watched him bat since he got caught. The end of the season and the end of his time as a White Sox player cannot come soon enough.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
Oh wow, talk about going overboard..... :lolhitting

Not really. It's probably not fair. But when you're already 4 games out (at the time of his first start) with less than a month to go you need the guy you're acquiring to step up and produce like right away. Manny looks washed up right now. If we lose these next two games, this will be the biggest waste of 4 million bucks in White Sox history.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:16 AM)
Not really. It's probably not fair. But when you're already 4 games out (at the time of his first start) with less than a month to go you need the guy you're acquiring to step up and produce like right away. Manny looks washed up right now. If we lose these next two games, this will be the biggest waste of 4 million bucks in White Sox history.

No, those would the salary we paid Thome. He never won anything here.

Our fans might as well give Thome all standing ovations the rest of the series.

He's the division champ.

When we were still realistically in it the Sox make one move: Jackson for Hudson.

Brilliant.

Then we add Manny way too late. And Manny has no ribbies.

Great.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 02:20 AM)
Please god tell me this was sarcasm?

Not at all. Jim Thome sucks and never contributed to Sox in anyway other than hit, get on base, and drive in runs. Where's his WS ring? Give me Carl Everett instead. Or someone who can play defense.

So, that would a be a yes. It was sarcasm. Bitter, bitter sarcasm.

Bottom line is that Manny can probably still hit, but it was a desperation move, you don't bring a guy who is coming off an injury and needs to realign/adjust/call it whatever his swing when there is a month left to play.

Sox don't have time for that and not getting us a DH to start the season or at the deadline is on Kenny/Ozzie.

Sigh. I really wanted Manny to produce when he got here. I was all for the move to pick him up, and I've been a big supporter of him here and at home (my wife does not like him). But I'm ready to shrug my shoulders and say oh well. He's not the hitter he used to be (not by a long shot), and he seems over-matched at the plate. I don't care about the $4 million, and bringing it up doesn't mean anything because spending the $4 million on Manny didn't prevent the Sox from acquiring someone else. But, yeah, I've accepted the fact that Manny will not be a difference maker for us.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 05:24 AM)
Bottom line is that Manny can probably still hit, but it was a desperation move, you don't bring a guy who is coming off an injury and needs to realign/adjust/call it whatever his swing when there is a month left to play.

Sox don't have time for that and not getting us a DH to start the season or at the deadline is on Kenny/Ozzie.

You hit it on the head here. Say what you want about not having a real DH being a big part of this lackluster season or not, it was a factor. KW and Ozzie should be held accountable for this series of bad decisions.

''Not really, that's part of the game,'' Ramirez said when asked about being disappointed with his showing. ''Sometimes they're going to put it at third base and you're not going to bring it in, and sometimes they're going to be on first base with two outs and you bring them in. That's part of the game.''

Not dissappointed with his performance? He's a bigger moron than I thought.

Edited by Dick Allen

He'll be gone soon enough...too bad the Sox can't get back some of the terrific young talent they've traded away (Gio, Hudson, Richard)....Kenny brought us an older, wiser...but no more successful team.

Our scouts and org. did a great job with some kids and we deal them off for (mostly) garbage.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 07:43 AM)
He'll be gone soon enough...too bad the Sox can't get back some of the terrific young talent they've traded away (Gio, Hudson, Richard)....Kenny brought us an older, wiser...but no more successful team.

Our scouts and org. did a great job with some kids and we deal them off for (mostly) garbage.

I'd love to see one post where someone called Clayton Richard a "terrific young talent" before he was traded. I know Hudson had a few fans, but not too many. Before they were dealt a lot of people who are their biggest fans know thought those two kids were garbage themselves.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
I'd love to see one post where someone called Clayton Richard a "terrific young talent" before he was traded. I know Hudson had a few fans, but not too many. Before they were dealt a lot of people who are their biggest fans know thought those two kids were garbage themselves.

Frankly, I was really starting to like Richard...not nearly as much as I liked Hudson though. 94+ MPH fastballs from the LH side are a good start.

But that's not a guy I wouldn't give up for Jake Peavy if I knew I could absorb the salary hit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)

It's all about hindsight or even wishful hindsight. I personally had no problem with either trade. The money aspect of the Jackson-Hudson trade is a bit troubling, but I still think the Sox got a better pitcher. Too often after trades you hear exactly what you're talking about. It's all should have's, should not have's, and if only's. Before Richard was traded, I don't remember seeing posts praising the kid. There was more affection for Hudson, but after his first few starts with the Sox it cooled down.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 02:05 AM)
.885 OPS this season

Only problem was, that we got him to be a clutch hitter and drive in runs, so in essence, he really hasn't done squat for us when doing what he is being paid to do. Kind of funny. In 1 1/2 months, he is getting paid about 4 times more that a lot of people make

in a lifetime. and yet has not even come close to doing the job that he was called to do.

Shouldn't have to worry about his "dreaded locks" It's more of his "dreaded performance!"

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
They wont-the clear need is a LEFT handed bat

I'm not so sure about that. Even if Konerko is retained...if Quentin never turns back into a big power RH bat...we're still weak from the RH side as well. I can't figure out where to find the numbers this year so I'm hoping someone else can, but I'm pretty sure our W-L is worse against LH starters than against RH starters this year. I know our OPS against LHP is quite a bit below our OPS against RHP.