Manny Should Just Retire...

Paulie4Pres

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:16 AM)
Not really. It's probably not fair. But when you're already 4 games out (at the time of his first start) with less than a month to go you need the guy you're acquiring to step up and produce like right away. Manny looks washed up right now. If we lose these next two games, this will be the biggest waste of 4 million bucks in White Sox history.

Manny has obviously been a waste of money, but mainly because this team is too far out with too little games to play. But to think Manny is done and needs to retire? Absolutely hilarious.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
Manny has obviously been a waste of money, but mainly because this team is too far out with too little games to play. But to think Manny is done and needs to retire? Absolutely hilarious.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Manroid did retire at the end of this season. He was hurt all year, he's going to find very limited contract offers this offseason, he's either off his helpful juice or he's risking a 100 game suspension, he's going to have to take a gigantic pay cut, and wherever he goes, he's not going to be the center of attention any more.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)

Yeah...I'm with you. I'm not sure why KW is catching hell for making a move to improve our chances? Either y'all think Kotsay/Jones was a better DH option or you are an investor in this franchise. Me, I'm a White Sox fan and I was thrilled to see someone of Manny's ability come on board. He's disappointed, but I definitely liked the move.

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
Yeah...I'm with you. I'm not sure why KW is catching hell for making a move to improve our chances? Either y'all think Kotsay/Jones was a better DH option or you are an investor in this franchise. Me, I'm a White Sox fan and I was thrilled to see someone of Manny's ability come on board. He's disappointed, but I definitely liked the move.

Only compared to what he used to be. Some people here act like Manny has hit .200 with this team and looked bad in every at bat. Manny is hitting .270 with us and an OBP of .400. Those are bad for Manny's standards, but compared to the rest of this team, he has still been one of the betters players on the team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Manroid did retire at the end of this season. He was hurt all year, he's going to find very limited contract offers this offseason, he's either off his helpful juice or he's risking a 100 game suspension, he's going to have to take a gigantic pay cut, and wherever he goes, he's not going to be the center of attention any more.

He was? Because I am pretty sure he has played in more than half the games this year. So, really, he hasn't been hurt for even HALF the year, let alone ALL year.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
He was? Because I am pretty sure he has played in more than half the games this year. So, really, he hasn't been hurt for even HALF the year, let alone ALL year.

Ok, so that was an exaggeration...but you ought to get my point. At the current rate, it's impossible for him to play 100 games...and at least a portion of those, he was playing while not 100%.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
Ok, so that was an exaggeration...but you ought to get my point. At the current rate, it's impossible for him to play 100 games...and at least a portion of those, he was playing while not 100%.

And I don't see why that's a reason he should retire because the flip-side of that argument is that you can say he hit .305/.404/.876 in an injury plagued year, so imagine what he can do when he is healthy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 06:34 AM)
I'd love to see one post where someone called Clayton Richard a "terrific young talent" before he was traded. I know Hudson had a few fans, but not too many. Before they were dealt a lot of people who are their biggest fans know thought those two kids were garbage themselves.

I'm pretty sure Jason liked Richard and I did also. But I always like young starters who come up and show ability. Most thought that ability was 4 or 5th starter type. But KW can't just keep trading talented young under control players for $8+ million a year guys . I understand the need to compete every year but when a cost effective move like resigning Thome presented itself there was no sense of urgency. The sense of urgency/desperation only seems to come at mid season or during the waiver claim period. It would be nice once in a while to come out of the gate stronger which would also pump up the players a bit more too.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
Good thing you weren't here when the Sox acquired him. It was a popular move except by a few who thought he was a bum.

I'll be honest and say I approved of the move. I really didn't care about his hair or the fact that he was a former 'roider. I didn't care because it was going to be for a month. Even before I saw his lackluster hitting since the acquisition I didn't want the Sox to bring him back.

In hindsight I still don't abhore the move. KW tried to make a move that would improve the team, and it was a gamble. So far it's a losing gamble, and it will most likely be meaningless since the chance of making the playoffs is slim at best.

But, Greg, a bum? Come on, that's really not a good picture of what he is. Self-centered jack-ass? Sure. I just picture a sloppy guy sitting in the dugout scratching his balls when I hear him described as a bum.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
It would be nice once in a while to come out of the gate stronger which would also pump up the players a bit more too.

That was part of the problem. You can't compete to be one of the worst teams in baseball at the beginning of the year and climb to the top of the division. You are always playing catchup. Few have done it. Your pen can't implode in August either.

The Twins have the best record since ASB.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
Yeah, the move didn't pay off, but I would make that move 100 times out of 100. It's not a waste of money because of Manny's production, it's a waste of money because of the team's performance.

Well...to be fair...for the time he's been here, he's been a part of that team's performance...and he failed in the at bat that was perhaps our last chance to salvage the season last night.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
Only compared to what he used to be. Some people here act like Manny has hit .200 with this team and looked bad in every at bat. Manny is hitting .270 with us and an OBP of .400. Those are bad for Manny's standards, but compared to the rest of this team, he has still been one of the betters players on the team.

He has the numbers of a lead off guy, without any of the speed or baserunning skills. We are paying him a million dollars a week to get important hits, not draw walks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
Well...to be fair...for the time he's been here, he's been a part of that team's performance...and he failed in the at bat that was perhaps our last chance to salvage the season last night.

The Sox lost 9-3. Even if he hits a grand slam there, the Sox lose. He's part of the team's overall performance, but like Ozzie said, he's not a saviour. Even if he went on an LA Dodgers like rampage, this team would still not make the playoffs.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
Yeah, the move didn't pay off, but I would make that move 100 times out of 100. It's not a waste of money because of Manny's production, it's a waste of money because of the team's performance.

I agree. The Sox were 4 back of the best team in the MLB since the break. Even if Manny went all LA '08, the Sox still might have had little to no chance to win the ALC with the way the Twins have been playing and the lead they had.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 04:24 AM)
Bottom line is that Manny can probably still hit, but it was a desperation move, you don't bring a guy who is coming off an injury and needs to realign/adjust/call it whatever his swing when there is a month left to play.

Sox don't have time for that and not getting us a DH to start the season or at the deadline is on Kenny/Ozzie.

Agreed, this move a month earlier could have really been something. However, Manny wasn't ready. This deal is a lot like the Peavy & Rios deal of last year, too little to late.

Last year we were to far down when we got Rios & when Peavy was ready. Manny still has a good eye, but has been playing in the AAA national league the last two years & still needs to get his timing back. Maybe he gets his timing back tonight & we win out all the games this season. One thing Manny still has is Confidence, so does Beckham, & confidence can carry you. Paulie has Confidence & after watching him hit a triple last night, anything can happen!!

Confidence can be a self-fulfilling prophecy as those without it may fail or not try because they lack it and those with it may succeed because they have it rather than because of an innate ability. Confidence is the opposite of FEAR!!

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
I'll be honest and say I approved of the move. I really didn't care about his hair or the fact that he was a former 'roider. I didn't care because it was going to be for a month. Even before I saw his lackluster hitting since the acquisition I didn't want the Sox to bring him back.

In hindsight I still don't abhore the move. KW tried to make a move that would improve the team, and it was a gamble. So far it's a losing gamble, and it will most likely be meaningless since the chance of making the playoffs is slim at best.

But, Greg, a bum? Come on, that's really not a good picture of what he is. Self-centered jack-ass? Sure. I just picture a sloppy guy sitting in the dugout scratching his balls when I hear him described as a bum.

Self centered jack ass works for me.

I'll go with that one from now over bum. No problem with me doing that.

Nice hit last night Manny, when we needed it.