Manny Should Just Retire...

Paulie4Pres

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense to the ManRam fans, but he needs to just hang it up. It's obvious he's pretty much useless when not on the juice. The guy just CANNOT catch up to any good fastballs anymore, and his clutch hitting ability is GONE. I will honestly be upset if the Sox bring him back next year. Strikeout after strikeout. See ya Manny, way to suck when not cheating.

I'm going to ask you a question:

WTF are you talking about?

Boy, Manny must be going 0-4 in EVERY SINGLE game I miss (which isn't many) to be getting this type of reception because every game I'm watching he's hitting, taking walks and being patient at the plate. Maybe some of you guys are conditioned to think that because he's not cranking them over the fence that he "sucks?" Kinda funny that in this short window of time, Manny has looked smarter than any of our hitters this year except maybe for Konerko. Yet here everyone is b****ing. Don't blame Manny because he goes 2 for 4 with a double and a walk/HBP and our team didn't win. Our fate doesn't rest on his shoulders. It's not his job to win games for us all by himself.

Hilarious. Anyone who thought Manny was going to single-handedly save this season or thought that it was his responsibility to is a moron.

Edited by TheBigHurt

It took him fifteen games to get his first RBI, and it came in the form of a HR. He has 14 SO in 15 games. He has ZERO extra base hits. He has scored an amazing....four runs, one of which was a home run... Every critical situation he has come up to bat in, he has pretty much struck out. What have YOU been watching to think that Manny has been ANY help to this team, whatsoever? All that for a measely million dollars a week.

As I said, he should just retire. He's been a shell of his former self since he got caught juicing and got suspended. Maybe he should go back to juicing. At least then he'd be useful to us... as you don't have to pay him when he's suspended.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
It took him fifteen games to get his first RBI, and it came in the form of a HR. He has 14 SO in 15 games. He has ZERO extra base hits. He has scored an amazing....four runs, one of which was a home run... Every critical situation he has come up to bat in, he has pretty much struck out. What have YOU been watching to think that Manny has been ANY help to this team, whatsoever? All that for a measely million dollars a week.

As I said, he should just retire. He's been a shell of his former self since he got caught juicing and got suspended. Maybe he should go back to juicing. At least then he'd be useful to us... as you don't have to pay him when he's suspended.

His "shell" has put up about an .850 OPS since he got caught on birth pills or w/e it was. In case you were wondering, only Konerko has a higher OPS than that.

But yeah, he sucks, retire, and taking 7 of our other starters with you into retirement I guess.

If you hate Manny just come out and say it but attacking his productivity is ridiculous. He's hitting almost .300 with us and has been taking walks and showing more patience at the plate in less than one month with us than anyone on our team has this whole damn season. You bashing Manny here just makes no sense. Sorry if the guy is coming up with 2 outs, DOING HIS JOB and no one picks him up. No mention of that, right? But of course we have to bring up every times he strikes out because you hate him, right? Meanwhile, let's ignore the fact that overall he's looked like a better hitter than almost everyone on our team has this entire season. Instead of looking at the big picture, you're trying to generalize to make him look bad.

Biased people seriously just shouldn't be allowed to post this crap.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 11:41 PM)
His "shell" has put up about an .850 OPS since he got caught on birth pills or w/e it was. In case you were wondering, only Konerko has a higher OPS than that.

But yeah, he sucks, retire, and taking 7 of our other starters with you into retirement I guess.

His .463 OBP with us, comming into tonights game absolutely disgusts me every time I look at it.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 11:44 PM)
If you hate Manny just come out and say it but attacking his productivity is ridiculous. He's hitting almost .300 with us and has been taking walks and showing more patience at the plate in less than one month with us than anyone on our team has this whole damn season. You bashing Manny here just makes no sense. Sorry if the guy is coming up with 2 outs, DOING HIS JOB and no one picks him up. No mention of that, right? But of course we have to bring up every times he strikes out because you hate him, right? Meanwhile, let's ignore the fact that overall he's looked like a better hitter than almost everyone on our team has this entire season. Instead of looking at the big picture, you're trying to generalize to make him look bad.

Biased people seriously just shouldn't be allowed to post this crap.

I don't have to generalize to make him look bad. The guy hasn't gotten a hit in a clutch situation in his entire time here, and he's had plenty of chances. ONE RBI. Thome had an amazing OBP most years too. So what? When you're old, fat, and slow, how does getting on base really help the team, unless you've got guys batting behind you that can string together 3-4 hits in a row? Manny is as base to base as Thome was. So what you're telling me is Manny is a great leadoff hitter, if only he was fast, could play the field, steal bases, and actually do something productive once he got on base? Awesome. Stats don't tell the whole story, sorry. They never do.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
I don't have to generalize to make him look bad. The guy hasn't gotten a hit in a clutch situation in his entire time here, and he's had plenty of chances. ONE RBI. Thome had an amazing OBP most years too. So what? When you're old, fat, and slow, how does getting on base really help the team, unless you've got guys batting behind you that can string together 3-4 hits in a row? Manny is as base to base as Thome was. So what you're telling me is Manny is a great leadoff hitter, if only he was fast, could play the field, steal bases, and actually do something productive once he got on base? Awesome. Stats don't tell the whole story, sorry. They never do.

On Sept 4th, against Buchholz, he got a hit with Konerko on 2nd, in the 4th inning, and the Sox were down 0-1. Konerko, being Konerko, was not able to score on the single. Blame Manny for not hitting the ball softer?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)
On Sept 4th, against Buchholz, he got a hit with Konerko on 2nd, in the 4th inning, and the Sox were down 0-1. Konerko, being Konerko, was not able to score on the single. Blame Manny for not hitting the ball softer?

2 hits in 2.5 weeks with runners in scoring position. Yeah, Manny's worth $4 million a month. He fanned 3 times with runners in scoring position in one game, why defend him?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 11:41 PM)

What was Thome's OPS last year when he should not have been brought back under any circumstance? Claiming Manny was a waste the second the claim was awarded, and it still is now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 12:39 AM)
2 hits in 2.5 weeks with runners in scoring position. Yeah, Manny's worth $4 million a month. He fanned 3 times with runners in scoring position in one game, why defend him?

I agree with you, but the guy protecting he and Konerko in the 6th spot (Quentin) was also 0-3 with RISP in the Twins series in one game. (0-4 overall) I know he isn't making what Manny is, but Q is just as much at fault for not getting the job done. At least you can say Manny is still creating opportunities for runs (with his walks/HBP/singles, Konerko usually doesn't score from 2nd, Ozzie puts a pinch runner in late too). Quentin has been .188/.235/.375/.610 in the last week.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 04:56 AM)

I agree stats don't tell the whole story. They never do.

Very nice two sentences by you.

Bye, bye Manny.

you will be a former White Sox next year which means you will be all motivated when you play the Sox and probably beat us 3 or more times.

The guy has been on the team TWO f***ing weeks. Are you s***ting me??? Yeah, stats DON'T tell the whole story. What tells a bigger story is how he actually looks at the plate, which has been better than anyone on the team. Your own logic goes against you here. How about the amount of opportunities his teammates have set up for him to drive in runs? Or pick HIM up? None of those are on the stats either, yet you're willing to throw all that out because you clearly want to place the blame on Manny because of what he;s getting paid, and that's ridiculous. That isn't Manny's fault. You're being biased and... well, apparently I'm not allowed to say "ignorant," so... you're being... oh, can't say "uneducated," either. Hmmm... you are being... well, let's just say you aren't looking at the whole picture. You're s***ting on the fact he can actually hit and look good doing it just to single him out for his failures, probably because you're angry he didn't single-handedly win us the division and now need to vent your frustrations and who better then to take them out on, right?

And all on a guy who's been here two f***ing weeks. What a joke.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 03:51 AM)
The guy has been on the team TWO f***ing weeks. Are you s***ting me??? Yeah, stats DON'T tell the whole story. What tells a bigger story is how he actually looks at the plate, which has been better than anyone on the team. Your own logic goes against you here. How about the amount of opportunities his teammates have set up for him to drive in runs? Or pick HIM up? None of those are on the stats either, yet you're willing to throw all that out because you clearly want to place the blame on Manny because of what he;s getting paid, and that's ridiculous. That isn't Manny's fault. You're being biased and... well, apparently I'm not allowed to say "ignorant," so... you're being... oh, can't say "uneducated," either. Hmmm... you are being... well, let's just say you aren't looking at the whole picture. You're s***ting on the fact he can actually hit and look good doing it just to single him out for his failures, probably because you're angry he didn't single-handedly win us the division and now need to vent your frustrations and who better then to take them out on, right?

When they are paying you what they are paying Manny for 4 weeks, 2 weeks of no production is extremely significant. Normally, I'd agree with you it would be ridiculous, but in this case, ridiculous is saying the 2 weeks is a joke. You only are going to pay him that kind of money for a month if you believe he's going to contribute immediately if not sooner. I don't want to pin all the losses on Manny, that wouldn't be fair or correct, but in the first game of a series the Sox needed to sweep, he came up to the plate with RISP 3 times and struck out all 3 times, and the Sox went on to get blown out. He has been and no matter what he does the rest of the season, will be, a total waste of money.

All the ticket sales he was supposed to generate were a mirage. I don't see any Manny jerseys (I still see a few Griffey jerseys), not one Manny wig. He gets booed when he comes to the plate. It may be 2 weeks, but it hasn't gone according to plan.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 03:51 AM)

When more than half of your argument revolves around calling the other person names, I think you need to explore yourself a little closer if you want to see where the joke lies. Argue the point at hand, not the person you are arguing with.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 07:35 AM)
When they are paying you what they are paying Manny for 4 weeks, 2 weeks of no production is extremely significant. Normally, I'd agree with you it would be ridiculous, but in this case, ridiculous is saying the 2 weeks is a joke. You only are going to pay him that kind of money for a month if you believe he's going to contribute immediately if not sooner. I don't want to pin all the losses on Manny, that wouldn't be fair or correct, but in the first game of a series the Sox needed to sweep, he came up to the plate with RISP 3 times and struck out all 3 times, and the Sox went on to get blown out. He has been and no matter what he does the rest of the season, will be, a total waste of money.

All the ticket sales he was supposed to generate were a mirage. I don't see any Manny jerseys (I still see a few Griffey jerseys), not one Manny wig. He gets booed when he comes to the plate. It may be 2 weeks, but it hasn't gone according to plan.

You should look harder. On the game against the Twins the other day, there was a girl with a Manny wig they showed on tv right outside the Sox dugout and they showed a guy wearing a Manny wig along the 1B line. There were a couple of others, but those are the ones they zeroed in on.

I will argue this. Manny has given Konerko protection in the lineup. He's been our second most competent hitter over the past 2 weeks. His approach is the 2nd greatest behind Konerko. He has taken walks when the opposition has given them to him. He has gone the opposite way when that's what he's been given. He's struck out, for the most part, at swinging at pitches in his zone.

As Ozzie said, you're expecting way too much of Manny. He was never going to be a saviour. In baseball, there is no such thing. Amazing pitchers can only pitch once out of every 5 games. Amazing hitters need other amazing hitters for protection and to drive them in or to give them RBI opportunities.

Last, but not least, remember that Manny was injured for a good chunk of the season. He has to get him timing down on those inside pitches. I'm not excusing him from anything, but I'm not going to blindly place the blame on him because he hasn't gone on a Dodger streak yet. He has been the 2nd least of our problems.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 11:26 AM)
I will argue this. Manny has given Konerko protection in the lineup. He's been our second most competent hitter over the past 2 weeks. His approach is the 2nd greatest behind Konerko. He has taken walks when the opposition has given them to him. He has gone the opposite way when that's what he's been given. He's struck out, for the most part, at swinging at pitches in his zone.

As Ozzie said, you're expecting way too much of Manny. He was never going to be a saviour. In baseball, there is no such thing. Amazing pitchers can only pitch once out of every 5 games. Amazing hitters need other amazing hitters for protection and to drive them in or to give them RBI opportunities.

Last, but not least, remember that Manny was injured for a good chunk of the season. He has to get him timing down on those inside pitches. I'm not excusing him from anything, but I'm not going to blindly place the blame on him because he hasn't gone on a Dodger streak yet. He has been the 2nd least of our problems.

2nd most competent hitter the last 2 weeks? LOL. Manny has 1 hit with RISP in a White Sox uniform. He has fanned a few times, popped up to SS. Grounded out to SS with 0 out not advancing the runner. Great approach. He's a shell of his roided out self.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
2nd most competent hitter the last 2 weeks? LOL. Manny has 1 hit with RISP in a White Sox uniform. He has fanned a few times, popped up to SS. Grounded out to SS with 0 out not advancing the runner. Great approach. He's a shell of his roided out self.

By competent, I mean approach. His approach to hitting is only 2nd to PK. He doesn't try to do much at the plate. He goes with the pitch. He takes the walk if that's all they're giving him.

And as horrific as the guy has been, his line looks damn good in a Sox uniform. His slugging could be a lot better. He's struck out 14 times, yea, but he also has 8 walks in that time.

.295avg .456OBP .364SLG .820OPS

So I don't really see this as an argument to Manny should just retire. Not at all. I think people just hate Manny because he's not Jim and he used to be on the 'roids, so they'll turn on the beer goggles.

.279avg .409OBP .618SLG 1.027OPS

That's Thome's line. His slugging is great, but that's the only thing better than Manny. And again, Manny just came back not too long ago from a chunk of time off. 81K's and 57BB. .70 walk to k ratio. And it would probably be more if he was a regular everyday player. Yep, .56 walk to k ratio. His average would be about 30 points lower as well.

What the Sox have in Manny is someone who is definitely not as bad as Thome last year, but not as good(if you weight SLG% most heavily).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
2nd most competent hitter the last 2 weeks? LOL. Manny has 1 hit with RISP in a White Sox uniform. He has fanned a few times, popped up to SS. Grounded out to SS with 0 out not advancing the runner.

True. He fits right in with the rest of our team and thusly should be re-signed for the sake of consistency.

Other moves could have been made as early as this past winter and they weren't. I like Thome, but I don't think he'd be anything other than what he was in '09. He's gotten a lot more rest with the Twins and that has a lot to do with what he's doing for them now. I don't think he would have that benefit here. Thome aside, there were other DH options, and none of them happened, not even at the trade deadline. So, in the dying gasps of the season Manny was brought in.

I've always been a fan of Manny, even while he played for my least favorite team, The Sawks. He cheated- just as an assuredly high percentage of other MLBers did. That was in the past, and this is now. I was happy to see him acquired as a last-ditch effort to save this season. It would have been wrong to think of him as a solution to the numerous holes the team had, especially with him sitting on his ass for a good time before he got here. He's getting paid a pretty penny for his services, but I'm not paying him, Jerry is. This year. The 4 million he gets isn't going to financially handcuff the franchise for years to come, let alone next season. If anything, it shows me that Reinsdorf is willing to water his plant when it needs it, no matter how late in the day it is.

I don't like dopers because it's a phony way to break records, but it's too late to worry about that now- the damage is done. Some still exist, presumably via the HGH route. I have faith that Manny isn't one of those because we've seen how he hits with some help, and that isn't how he's hitting now. Not too long ago I could never like a ballplayer even if there were whispers about him doping. Now that it's evident that a good portion of players did this, I've become more forgiving- largely because of the new testing policy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)
Tough to take a guy seriously criticizing a hitter with the User Name CQMVP, the classic underachiever.

Would I be a more credible poster if I came out and said that CQ has been a shell of his former self, since breaking his hand, in an IDIOTIC fit of rage? A fit that is typical of guys on the juice, or 10 year old kids playing little league?? CQ has been garbage ever since he took himself out of that season, and I WILL not defend him, regardless of my username. He has had injury after injury since that season, and I wouldn't doubt that he was on the juice, just like a good 25% of the MLB. If I could change my username, I would. I think CQ should be dumped at the earliest opportunity.

Ok?

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
If I could change my username, I would. I think CQ should be dumped at the earliest opportunity.

Ok?

I can help you with that. Click here. http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10726 Ask for whatever new name you want, and one of the admins will hook you up.

Edited by J.Reedfan8