Manny Should Just Retire...

Paulie4Pres

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
I don't think Manny is done yet. He just have to get his timing back. You could tell he was pressing at the plate. I'm not saying that I'd want to definitely have him back next year (I don't think it would bother me all that much), but I believe that wherever he goes, he will mash again... as long as he can stay healthy.

Fastballs are blowing him away. His bat is slow. Maybe its technical, maybe its a lack of juice and age. There are some here that think the Sox may want to give Manny a contract for next season, according to Gonzales, there is no chance. He's been with the Sox for 3 weeks and still doesn't have his "timing". I'm thinking he's not the MVP type hitter he used to be. Since the Sox were 7-0 on that trip, the have gone 2-10. Manny is 6-34 with 11 k's. 1 homer 1 rbi 1 extra base hit.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
Fastballs are blowing him away. His bat is slow. Maybe its technical, maybe its a lack of juice and age. There are some here that think the Sox may want to give Manny a contract for next season, according to Gonzales, there is no chance. He's been with the Sox for 3 weeks and still doesn't have his "timing". I'm thinking he's not the MVP type hitter he used to be.

It takes a lot longer to have your timing down than 3 weeks. That's why there is ST. IIRC, he had a leg injury. If he still has it, it can affect his timing too. I'd be willing to give him an incentive laden deal. He can still clearly hit offspeed stuff. He clearly still has a great eye. It's a matter of, "is he losing batspeed, or is the injury still affecting him?"

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
Fastballs are blowing him away. His bat is slow. Maybe its technical, maybe its a lack of juice and age. There are some here that think the Sox may want to give Manny a contract for next season, according to Gonzales, there is no chance. He's been with the Sox for 3 weeks and still doesn't have his "timing". I'm thinking he's not the MVP type hitter he used to be.

Anybody who expected him to be an MVP type hitter was fooling themselves from the beginning, but there is plenty of reason to believe he can be an effective hitter once again. If the Sox could sign him for about how much he made during the month of September for an entire year, he would be well worth the gamble. However, I don't believe that will be the case, and I think he may very well end up retiring.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
It takes a lot longer to have your timing down than 3 weeks. That's why there is ST. IIRC, he had a leg injury. If he still has it, it can affect his timing too. I'd be willing to give him an incentive laden deal. He can still clearly hit offspeed stuff. He clearly still has a great eye. It's a matter of, "is he losing batspeed, or is the injury still affecting him?"

When Manny WAS Manny, he didn't need 3 weeks and there is no way KW would have claimed him if he thought Manny needed anything longer than a week.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
When Manny WAS Manny, he didn't need 3 weeks and there is no way KW would have claimed him if he thought Manny needed anything longer than a week.

KW thought wrong. But at the same time, if they bring back Konerko, there's not going to be much better options than bringing in Manny. Dunn will be too expensive for them unfortunately. We shall see though. Everything hinges on PK.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 12:34 AM)
The acquisition of Manny was the exclamation point to this rotten season, not to mention the season-ending losing streak.

I'd say getting swept by the Twins and Tigers at home was the exclamation point on this season. KW took a chance with Manny, and it didn't pan out. The Sox were only 4.5 games out when he was acquired, but I don't think many of us thought that acquring Manny alone would push the team to the playoffs. Remember that the Sox had a 7 game winning streak right after he was acquired. Granted he didn't really do anything during that time except watch a couple game-winning home runs from the on-deck circle. Then the team just fell apart...mainly the starting pitching.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
I'd say getting swept by the Twins and Tigers at home was the exclamation point on this season. KW took a chance with Manny, and it didn't pan out. The Sox were only 4.5 games out when he was acquired, but I don't think many of us thought that acquring Manny alone would push the team to the playoffs. Remember that the Sox had a 7 game winning streak right after he was acquired. Granted he didn't really do anything during that time except watch a couple game-winning home runs from the on-deck circle. Then the team just fell apart...mainly the starting pitching.

4.5 really is a lot of games when you are trying to catch Minnesota.

I see this season as simply we erased the 9.5 game deficit and at that point we needed to start anew. Sox were granted a miraculous do-over at that point.

By starting anew I mean again addressing some team needs. Sox stood pat. Sox floundered and now are in total freefall.

By the time we fell 4.5 back, we were toast. The Twins had regained what they had lost.

Edited by greg775

I love the way Ozzie gave a little speech thanking the team for their efforts in trying to win the division. He then said he demanded full effort the rest of the way and if anybody had a physical problem to tell him.

Manny pipes up and tells him he feels sick and can't play.

Hilarious.

s*** maybe it was true, but I wonder.

That was all in one of the sun times articles concerning the game we played after getting eliminated by Minnie.

Edited by greg775

I don't have th inclination to go through the whole thread to see if someone else brought this up but about this time last year....weren't people b****ing and moaning about how Alex Rios was a waste of a roster space and how he'd never contribute to the Sox?? i swear i remember reading that last year. I think most people are more than happy Alex Rios is on the team this year. Anyways.....i would like to see Manny back for one more year if only to see what he can do if he can manage to stay healthy for the whole year. he may not be the Manny or old but if he could put up 20 HR i would be very pleased. Plus it will move Kotsay back (if he's back) to a 4th outfielder where i think he can best serve the team.