The Official "Paul Konerko for MVP" Thread

Steve9347

...IF Quentin was taken out of the discussion in 2008 for missing the final month, then we can discount Josh Hamilton, who is nowhere near returning.

...IF A-Rod could win it with the last place Rangers, then first place is not a requirement.

...IF there is any justice, Paul Konerko will win the 2010 MVP Award.

This team would have been out of the postseason discussion for good in June if it weren't for our franchise player, Paul Konerko, who is quite possibly having his best season at age 34.

I thank Paul Konerko for this season, for 2005, and for his career as a White Sox, which may or may not be coming to an end (I'm leaning that he'll stay). However, regardless of what shakes there...

PAUL KONERKO FOR MVP

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
Oh yeah? Link me to this evidence, please.

Sadly I'm not going to be able to fully prove it...but there were more than a couple people who wrote things similar to what Rosenthal wrote here.

I feel bad for Carlos Quentin, but not too badly. He was the front-runner on Sept. 1, but the injury he suffered that day was self-inflicted, if somewhat flukish. True, his absence only reinforced his value—look where the White Sox are without him!—but that's not how you win the award.

MLB.com

But while Quentin's numbers are strong, voters for the MVP Award may have penalized the outfielder for the fact that his injury was self-inflicted.

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
What is really annoying me during all the MVP talk is the love for Robinson Cano.

Avg - .319 Cano, .324 Konerko

HR - 27 Cano, 36 Konerko

RBI - 98 Cano, 104 Konerko

OBP - .380 Cano, .402 Konerko

SLG - .543 Cano, .602 Konerko

OPS - .923 Cano, 1.004 Konerko

Not saying Cano deserves it, but those are some pretty nice #'s for a 2B.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
An awful lot of people put Quentin lower on their list in 2008 not because he was hurt...but because the injury was self-inflicted.

though a legitimate knock on hamilton is he is no longer the team leader in RBI. Vlad Guerrero is having a very good season in his own rights with .305-25-105. if hamilton is out till October, he can very well say goodbye to the MVP award.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:51 AM)
...IF Quentin was taken out of the discussion in 2008 for missing the final month, then we can discount Josh Hamilton, who is nowhere near returning.

...IF A-Rod could win it with the last place Rangers, then first place is not a requirement.

...IF there is any justice, Paul Konerko will win the 2010 MVP Award.

This team would have been out of the postseason discussion for good in June if it weren't for our franchise player, Paul Konerko, who is quite possibly having his best season at age 34.

I thank Paul Konerko for this season, for 2005, and for his career as a White Sox, which may or may not be coming to an end (I'm leaning that he'll stay). However, regardless of what shakes there...

PAUL KONERKO FOR MVP

if A-Rod could win, so can Miguel Cabrera. The only way i season konerko winning is if cabrera goes on a mini slump and konerko continues to play the way he played the last two weeks.

but mauer was by far the best player at a premium position, same case with Pedroia in 08. I mean the pool was quite weak last year, who else would you have chose? we have 3 or 4 very deserving candidates this year.

Mauer missed a month in June and came back strong and CARRIED the twins into the playoffs. I always feel that it's a tremendous knock on a player if he missed significant time late in the season, when his team is fighting for positions in the playoffs.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
I don't think you should win the MVP if your team doesn't even make the playoffs...

How can you be the most valuable player in the AL if your team is sitting at home in October? Isn't the point of the season to make the playoffs and win the WS?

I agree. In fact, I just wrote an article about the NL MVP and basically outlined this very idea that you obviously weren't that valuable to the team if the team can't even make the post season w/ you. You aren't losing much ground.

My golden rule for MVP....

- Player's team MUST make the playoffs. Exception to this is teams who are eliminated in the final couple days of the season, or a player puts up record breaking numbers and is far and away superior in almost every way over the competition.

I thought it was an individual, not a team award. When you have a stout lineup, one capable to making the playoffs, it makes it harder for teams to pitch around you, you have guys arounbd you making you look good. If you are having the kind of season that gets noticed for an individual award like MVP, and your team is having a missing the playoff season, you really did blossum in all that fertilizer.

Wouldnt a player's value be independent of what his team does? It's like the W stat, it's pretty much out of the pitcher's control, just like it is out of the hitter's control whether or not there are guys infront of him, or good bats behind him, or that there is a good pitching staff helping the team win games.

A player's value should be recorded as how well they performed during that season, if that means they were the best hitting/fielding combination in the league then wouldnt adding that player give a ton of value to a playoff team.

If they want to avoid all of the arguing, they should just change the name of the award. The key word in the award is "valuable," which insinuates to most that the team should do well. They should just call it the Best Player, or Best Offensive Player.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
Wouldnt a player's value be independent of what his team does? It's like the W stat, it's pretty much out of the pitcher's control, just like it is out of the hitter's control whether or not there are guys infront of him, or good bats behind him, or that there is a good pitching staff helping the team win games.

A player's value should be recorded as how well they performed during that season, if that means they were the best hitting/fielding combination in the league then wouldnt adding that player give a ton of value to a playoff team.

No, because the award is "Most VALUABLE Player", not "Best Hitter" or "Best Player". A Cy Young winner can come from a crappy team because Cy Young award is for the best pitcher. But MVP is for the player that was most valuable to his team, and if your team didn't succeed with you, then you weren't that valuable to them.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
No, because the award is "Most VALUABLE Player", not "Best Hitter" or "Best Player". A Cy Young winner can come from a crappy team because Cy Young award is for the best pitcher. But MVP is for the player that was most valuable to his team, and if your team didn't succeed with you, then you weren't that valuable to them.

Well the best hitter would bring the most value to a team.

I believe Fathom and few others said it, but without Konerko we would have been the Mariners this year. Does that mean he holds less value than Cano to the Yankees just because the Yankees have a much better lineup and roster in general?

Miggy is more valuable than Konerko, but his team sucks ass, which really just makes him more valuable because he kept that team afloat and is still producing crazy numbers even with little help.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
Well the best hitter would bring the most value to a team.

Not really because some players are more valuable to one team over another. For instance, Manny Ramirez had no value to the Dodgers anymore because their team was tanking, while he was extremely valuable to the White Sox, Rays, and Rangers. Manny was not becoming a better hitter by coming here, but he was valued more our team than the Dodgers.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
I believe Fathom and few others said it, but without Konerko we would have been the Mariners this year. Does that mean he holds less value than Cano to the Yankees just because the Yankees have a much better lineup and roster in general?

Miggy is more valuable than Konerko, but his team sucks ass, which really just makes him more valuable because he kept that team afloat and is still producing crazy numbers even with little help.

Yeah, but how does that change the outcome of our season if we end up with 90 wins, or 70 wins (just taking guesses at those numbers), if the result in the same that we don't make the playoffs? That's the whole point.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
Yeah, but how does that change the outcome of our season if we end up with 90 wins, or 70 wins (just taking guesses at those numbers), if the result in the same that we don't make the playoffs? That's the whole point.

It is still contingent on the team to make the playoffs, if youre a better hitter and fielder than youre flat out more valuable to a team.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Not really because some players are more valuable to one team over another. For instance, Manny Ramirez had no value to the Dodgers anymore because their team was tanking, while he was extremely valuable to the White Sox, Rays, and Rangers. Manny was not becoming a better hitter by coming here, but he was valued more our team than the Dodgers.

So how is Cano more valuable than Konerko?? Without Konerko we're crap, without Cano the Yankees are still in the playoffs most likely.