The key question for the rest of the year- Viciedo or Morel at third?

bobryansson

17 games, I think, left. Time to play youth. See what they can do. Can't take Paulie out, so Viciedo can't play first much. PK deserves the right to keep his numbers climbing, but everyone else is replaceable. Flowers, with a little Castro, to catch. Morel at third? Viciedo at DH... unless we really need to see if he can play third... He really needs MLB at bats, though. No need for M. Ramirez, Jones, or Kotsay to come out of the dugout any longer. Anybody we can stick in right? Teahen? Unfortunately, he has an extended contract, so, maybe RF? Can't play 3rd. Or will TCQ now hit well with the pressure off? TCQ has a horrid average, lots of RBI's for it, though. Some homers, too, but I don't remember much but failure in the clutch.

End of my stream-of-disappointed-consciousness.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd put the tank at third every game the rest of the year.

Thanks Omar for everything, but no reason for him to play anymore.

They also ought to move CQ to left and give Juan the rest of the year off.

Any starter with a tired arm might as well be sent home.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
I'd put the tank at third every game the rest of the year.

Thanks Omar for everything, but no reason for him to play anymore.

They also ought to move CQ to left and give Juan the rest of the year off.

Any starter with a tired arm might as well be sent home.

I'd rather make CQ the full time DH and let Manny butcher the outfield so Carlos doesn't break something. Of course we can have more Kotsay in the outfield. Maybe more Kotsay Ozzie will realize "gee what wuz I thinkin of".

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
Definitely throw Morel at 3B and let him get a feel for his future. And let Mark Teahen and Mark Kotsay get a job at a carwash and let them get a feel for their future.

I get the feeling Morel's future is opening day 2011 regardless if he can hit the ball or not. It will be the 2nd player that they will have to push thru the system because Kenny's replacements at 3rd really suck. If it wasn't for Omar we might have seen him this year.

Morel has already hit 25% as many homers as Teahen in like 150 times less at bats. Morel should be the everyday guy from here till the end...give Dayan chances to.

This season is toast. I don't want to see Manram attempt to get his 2nd RBI in 3 weeks anymore...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
Definitely throw Morel at 3B and let him get a feel for his future. And let Mark Teahen and Mark Kotsay get a job at a carwash and let them get a feel for their future.

LOL. No kidding.

I'm all for starting the kids from here on out; although, we can bring back Vizquel next year, cheap, if we want, right?

Did anybody notice we starting going on our tear when Teahen went down and he stepped in at 3rd?

QUOTE (since56 @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
Viciedo can not play defense, anywhere.

Checking other Sox boards, that seems to be the verdict. I haven't seem him play. Sounds like the typical White Sox organization that can load up with future DH/1B. I'd love for the DH to be out of baseball so more youngster would be forced to learn how to catch a baseball. Sounds like Viciedo is Josh Fields III.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
Checking other Sox boards, that seems to be the verdict. I haven't seem him play. Sounds like the typical White Sox organization that can load up with future DH/1B. I'd love for the DH to be out of baseball so more youngster would be forced to learn how to catch a baseball. Sounds like Viciedo is Josh Fields III.

Joe Crede was Josh Fields mark 0 until the Sox gave him time to learn the position. Alexei Ramirez was the same way.

Viciedo hasn't spent a whole lot of time at the hot corner. He's a big guy but he's quick enough on his feet that he wouldn't be a liability there...but the thing that he would really have going for him is a howitzer for an arm.

Overall I prefer Morel there if Morel can be an average hitter because he's almost certain to be more mobile than DV...but writing off the defense of a 21 year old is just about as silly as writing off the bat of a 20 year old in AA, as a lot of people did with Viciedo after last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
but writing off the defense of a 21 year old is just about as silly as writing off the bat of a 20 year old in AA, as a lot of people did with Viciedo after last year.

Isn't that what the organization is doing? I don't know. Do they play him at 3rd in the minors?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
Isn't that what the organization is doing? I don't know. Do they play him at 3rd in the minors?

He played 3rd in the minors the whole year last year. The Org moved him to 1st to start the year, and then he bounced back and forth between the positions, especially after his callup.

It's entirely possible that moving him to 1st is the right move...1b/DH is looking like it will have an opening at about the same time as 3b, possibly even sooner if Vizquel is brought back. His bat is frankly, nearly MLB ready despite his low age. He has some weaknesses and some learning, but he flat out can hit major league level pitching.

His bat is likely to be ready before his glove would be ready. That's the key issue, I think.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
Joe Crede was Josh Fields mark 0 until the Sox gave him time to learn the position. Alexei Ramirez was the same way.

Viciedo hasn't spent a whole lot of time at the hot corner. He's a big guy but he's quick enough on his feet that he wouldn't be a liability there...but the thing that he would really have going for him is a howitzer for an arm.

Overall I prefer Morel there if Morel can be an average hitter because he's almost certain to be more mobile than DV...but writing off the defense of a 21 year old is just about as silly as writing off the bat of a 20 year old in AA, as a lot of people did with Viciedo after last year.

Yeah but do you think we can afford to wait for Viciedo to develop some defensive skills? I don't think so. We want to compete every year. Maybe he'll do better with a team like Cleveland that would give him the time he needs to fully develop.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)

You still keep saying the bolded, and its still not at all the case. If anything, the Sox organization severely lacks 1B/DH types, which is why we ended up with Kotsay/Jones at DH. Viciedo is the only young up and coming player who fits that category, and he's still just 21, so its way too early to give up on him entirely for defensive purposes.

Josh Fields? Fields simply couldn't catch up to 90+ heat, that was his major problem. Viciedo on the other hand has incredible bat speed, so catching up to fastballs won't be his issue.

And this thing where you keep harping on defense still hasn't caught up to 2010, where the Sox have improved defensively and aside from the part-time RF (Quentin) and occasional 3B (Teahen), the team is pretty strong in this category.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
You still keep saying the bolded, and its still not at all the case. If anything, the Sox organization severely lacks 1B/DH types, which is why we ended up with Kotsay/Jones at DH. Viciedo is the only young up and coming player who fits that category, and he's still just 21, so its way too early to give up on him entirely for defensive purposes.

Josh Fields? Fields simply couldn't catch up to 90+ heat, that was his major problem. Viciedo on the other hand has incredible bat speed, so catching up to fastballs won't be his issue.

And this thing where you keep harping on defense still hasn't caught up to 2010, where the Sox have improved defensively and aside from the part-time RF (Quentin) and occasional 3B (Teahen), the team is pretty strong in this category.

But facts make those kind of arguments weaker though!

I agree, defense was clearly improved this year on the whole and giving up on Viciedo already is just ridiculous. Yes, the odds he will never be able to be adequate defensively at 3B are greater, but that's why playing him there now makes sense. Have him work with Cora/Guillen in the offseason and Vizquel if he is brought back. See if he has improved by next ST. He's an athletic kid with a cannon for an arm. Most 21 year olds are still in AA or lower, i'm more than willing to give him a bit of slack here.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
Yeah but do you think we can afford to wait for Viciedo to develop some defensive skills? I don't think so. We want to compete every year. Maybe he'll do better with a team like Cleveland that would give him the time he needs to fully develop.

So let's get rid of (likely) our best offensive prospect.