Just venting

SoIL

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
He's had a decent success rate. It would be easier if he had the Yankees job. This year wasn't his best or the worst.

He miffed on Teahan so far but was replaced by signing Omar. Maybe Teahan was a short term solution at 3rd to begin with.

Jones/Kotsay hasn't worked out but they are still winning games more games than last year.

I still get a laugh over the Peavy trade since everyone assumed he would be a Cub.

I never thought the 2005 team before the season started would turn out with a ring. Never. I thought 2006 would be a repeat WS. It wasn't. There are some still in the boat claiming trading Rowand was one of the worst moves by Kenny.

It would be easy to say go get Beltre but you have to outbid and JR doesn't like long term deals. I can't blame him either.

Unless it's a long-term deal for Scott Linebrink or Mark Teahen, who nobody is bidding against us for...well, in Linebrink's case, the argument was always that WAS the market for successful short relievers but there's never been an explanation given for that extension.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 03:53 AM)
Unless it's a long-term deal for Scott Linebrink or Mark Teahen, who nobody is bidding against us for...well, in Linebrink's case, the argument was always that WAS the market for successful short relievers but there's never been an explanation given for that extension.

Somebody pointed this out before, but the Sox need to quit salivating over guys who have hit sox pitching well in the past.

So Teahen beat us on several occasions with KC; we acquire him for that reason and he was horses***.

I bet the Sox keep him and pencil him in as a starter afraid of him turning into a Swisher. This was Teahen's off year they'll say. Next year could be his career year.

Problem is is that he's not a good baseball hitter. He just is not.

Kenny is just average. There's really no other way to put it. For every good move he makes, you have a Kotsay, Linebrink, Manny, Teahen, etc. It is what it is. Our organization is nothing more than average, from top to bottom. Our scouting is, arguably, below average. I mean, the Sox just don't develop major league talent, and it's pretty f***ing sad. Even teams that finish in the top 8 year after year develop major league talent, despite their poor draft positions. There's just no excuse for it. We have to start at the beginning and work our way up. The biggest, most glaring problem this team has, is our scouting staff and minor league development. It's just downright brutal. Reminds me of the Bears and Jerry Angelo.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 11:48 PM)
Kenny is just average. There's really no other way to put it. For every good move he makes, you have a Kotsay, Linebrink, Manny, Teahen, etc. It is what it is. Our organization is nothing more than average, from top to bottom. Our scouting is, arguably, below average. I mean, the Sox just don't develop major league talent, and it's pretty f***ing sad. Even teams that finish in the top 8 year after year develop major league talent, despite their poor draft positions. There's just no excuse for it. We have to start at the beginning and work our way up. The biggest, most glaring problem this team has, is our scouting staff and minor league development. It's just downright brutal. Reminds me of the Bears and Jerry Angelo.

The scouting dept. might be getting better. Good organizations hit more on their top pick. Beckham has been productive in a short time, so has Sale.

Kenny is pretty good at acquiring pitching talent. Danks, Floyd, Jenks, Thornton, Jackson,Pena, and Peavy were all very good pickups without giving a bunch away. My problem with him is that he goes all one way with the everyday players.It's either been all power and no speed/contact or atttempting the opposite this year. Is it that tough to get a good mix of both. The Sox have enough pieces in place to make the proper adjustments. They just need to do it.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 05:39 AM)
Kenny is pretty good at acquiring pitching talent. Danks, Floyd, Jenks, Thornton, Jackson,Pena, and Peavy were all very good pickups without giving a bunch away. My problem with him is that he goes all one way with the everyday players.It's either been all power and no speed/contact or atttempting the opposite this year. Is it that tough to get a good mix of both. The Sox have enough pieces in place to make the proper adjustments. They just need to do it.

Pena? Not so much.

Peavy? We paid an arm and a leg, salary-wise.

You can add Contreras, Loaiza, Santos and Jenks (for most of his time here) to the list.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 12:48 AM)

The last three drafts, the Sox have actually done quite well. Part of the reason you don't see that in the minors is that Beckham and Sale are already in the majors, and the 2009 draft caught a serious injury bug in 2010. Still needs work, but in reality, things have improved in terms of drafting and development in the past few years, and that will eventually start bearing fruit (really, it already did, with Beckham and Sale).

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 05:39 AM)

Pena to me is the 2nd coming of McDougal or the Kotsay of the pen.

Floyd keeps regressing.

Danks may be the next Javy.

Might have some million dollar arms with 10 cent brains. That's what some believe about Jackson.

Coops will fix em as every one says but that appears to be short term any more.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
Pena to me is the 2nd coming of McDougal or the Kotsay of the pen.

Floyd keeps regressing.

Danks may be the next Javy.

Might have some million dollar arms with 10 cent brains. That's what some believe about Jackson.

Coops will fix em as every one says but that appears to be short term any more.

Please explain.

Just venting? Ok, I'm just sick about this season. I knew Minnesota had a better lineup going in but I felt they didn't have the pitching we did. We got dominated by them again and I don't see them getting any worse for the next few years. We have a very good team but I don't see, as things are now, how we can overcome them any time soon. I guess I'm depressed over the belly up finish. I not sure where to turn for improvement.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
Dear KW,

Next year, please try to put together a roster that looks like it could win 95 games...

Rather than your usual approach of putting together a roster designed to win 85 games, and hoping that

- you catch lightning in a bottle

- some burned out retread reverts back to their glory days

- the team plays above expectations,

- and/or that other teams (particularly the Twins) under-perform

With the amount of payroll you have to work with, this doesn't seem like an unfair request, does it?

Regards,

S

You hit the nail right on the head. I guess we can't be that dissapointed because I figured the Sox for 86 wins this year.