9/18 Sox vs Tigers - 3:10p CDT - FOX

knightni

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
Another bullpen collapse. For the love of Tulo, shut down Santos and Sale, Ozzie! Pitching Sale on consecutive days is just so f***ing retarded right now by the Sox organization.

I see that Sale got introduced to bullpen failure that has plauged the Sox this season. They all have to join in with the giving up of the big bombs late

Infante sure looked real good in this inning. Has a very, very solid looking change-up that I don't know if the Tigers hitters even made contact with. Was throwing it about 86, which is 11 MPH slower than his fastball, which is "supposedly" the optimal speed difference between a FB and CH. Not sure why, but that's just what I've heard.

Really nice inning by Infante. That's the first time I have seen him and I like the difference between his heat and his off speed stuff. It looked like they were having trouble picking up the slow stuff. I wonder how much of a chance he has at filling a Santos type role next year as the first man out of the pen and a garbage man while he learns on the job?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
Really nice inning by Infante. That's the first time I have seen him and I like the difference between his heat and his off speed stuff. It looked like they were having trouble picking up the slow stuff. I wonder how much of a chance he has at filling a Santos type role next year as the first man out of the pen and a garbage man while he learns on the job?

I am guessing we will have some open bullpen spots to fill don't you think?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
I see that Sale got introduced to bullpen failure that has plauged the Sox this season. They all have to join in with the giving up of the big bombs late

Maybe it's time for the Sox to have a contest "Pitcher for a Day". Somebody in the stands or A ball, instructional league, whatever could just get someone out and not fill the bases.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
Maybe it's time for the Sox to have a contest "Pitcher for a Day". Somebody in the stands or A ball, instructional league, whatever could just get someone out and not fill the bases.

Maybe we could pair that up with another promotion, "For every run scored past 3 that the Whitesox score, Alex will donate 100 dollars in loving memory of Ursula."

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
I am guessing we will have some open bullpen spots to fill don't you think?

I can't see all of the expensive pieces being back. I imagine at least one of Putz, Linebrink, and Jenks won't be back. I wouldn't be surprised if two of them didn't make it back for 11.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
I wonder how Greg feels about this, being that he hates Manny, but also being that he thinks booing a player is classless and makes our fan base look bad.

Actually I would think he wouldn't care much, if anything embrace it. He is one of the few here who never liked Manny (can't blame him). I thought Manny would be booed in his first at-bat in a sox uni, so I was shocked then. Not so much now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
I give DAllen so much credit for stating how big of a disaster the Manny acquisition would be. Needless to say, Manny will not be back next season unless he goes Tulo over the next two weeks.

I think fans got carried away with putting the savior image on Manny. He can't solve the pen problems. It's at the point where a pen appearance is an automatic loss.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
I think fans got carried away with putting the savior image on Manny. He can't solve the pen problems. It's at the point where a pen appearance is an automatic loss.

The bullpen sure has sucked lately. But the offense isn't exactly holding its own. In the last 11 games we have scored 3 runs or less in 8 of those games. In half of those we have scored 2 runs or less. So rotten bullpen + rotten offense + not so good defense = April/May.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
I give DAllen so much credit for stating how big of a disaster the Manny acquisition would be. Needless to say, Manny will not be back next season unless he goes Tulo over the next two weeks.

Thing is we fell out of the race so rapidly that Manny didn't get the chance to help or hurt us.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
Thing is we fell out of the race so rapidly that Manny didn't get the chance to help or hurt us.

Yeah, we went 7-0 with Manny to start, and then now we are like 2-9 or something. I didn't see people saying we were 7-0 because of him, so why are people saying we are 2-9 because of him? He hasn't been on the team long enough to have that big of an impact. It was a bad acquisition in the end, but not because of anything he has done or hasn't done.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)

Yeah, we went 7-0 with Manny to start, and then now we are like 2-9 or something. I didn't see people saying we were 7-0 because of him, so why are people saying we are 2-9 because of him? He hasn't been on the team long enough to have that big of an impact. It was a bad acquisition in the end, but not because of anything he has done or hasn't done.

Because Manny has yet to get an important hit?

I agree completely.

Its $4 million the Sox could have spent on things to improve the roster in the future that will not be available. When, this winter, KW cries about being "stretched" financially, remember he found $4 million to piss away on a longshot. I don't think Manny had anything to do with the wins and probably not anything to do with at least most of the losses. Maybe in the first Minnesota game if he would have done anything the game might have gone down differently but maybe not. If you are paying someone what Manny is being paid, they should have an effect on winning and losing. Manny is not doing anything, and while maybe the losing isn't his fault, shows he isn't doing what was expected. So it was a bad acquisition based on the fact he didn't improve the team. Maybe its too much to ask one player, for one month, especially coming off an injury, but it certainly did not take a genius to see how this was going to go, and there were plenty of people ripping anyone who said he wasn't a difference maker.