Sox vs. A's

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
I agree about the tailspin.

Either Kenny or Ozzie needs to take a hit for this season.

and when you're comparing the curveballs and ERAs of Floyd and Gio, don't forget to compare their salaries.

Williams is such a genius that he traded this kid twice. Once wasn't enough.

Do you really think that Gio Gonzalez would have an ERA below 4 (let alone the 3.47 he's at) pitching half of his games for the White Sox? Surprise surprise, he's been phenomenal at home (2.70 with a completely unsustainable .229 BABIP) and a bit more human on the road (4.22 ERA, a somewhat unlucky but closer to reality .322 BABIP, and 1.44 WHIP). I would say his road splits are closer to his natural talent level than his overall numbers indicate because he's pitching in a great pitching environment for half of his games.

The first time he traded Gio Gonzalez, he got Jim Thome. I'd say the Sox won that one.

The time he traded for Gio Gonzalez, he also got Gavin Floyd, and gave up Freddy Garcia. I'd say the Sox won that one.

The second time he traded Gio Gonzalez, he got Nick Swisher. He had the right intentions, but that trade eventually ended up as terrible.

I also like that you want to compare salaries for some reason. According to FanGraphs WAR calculation, Gavin Floyd has been the 18th best pitcher in the majors this year. Gavin Floyd is good, and he's dirt cheap. At the very least, you could have said something along the lines of comparing Buehrle and Gonzalez's salary, or Peavy and Gonzalez's salary. Gavin Floyd has been everything the Sox have asked for and more.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
So Gavin got pulled on a 2-2 count? Please tell me it's a leg injury and not arm related.

We don't know as of yet. The replay on the last pitch he made was inconclusive, but Stone said he saw him grab his right tricep when he was in the dugout. That's all we really know at this point.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 03:22 AM)
We don't know as of yet. The replay on the last pitch he made was inconclusive, but Stone said he saw him grab his right tricep when he was in the dugout. That's all we really know at this point.

Ugh, that's not good. Can we just forfeit the rest of our games and save the team from everything that can possibly go wrong?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 01:12 AM)
A part of me is kinda interested to see us go into the kind of tailspin that somebody has to take a fall for.

I really think Oz is gone after this season. It all makes too much sense. He's off to Florida where he can work in the NL. He'll love Florida and nobody cares about baseball there so he'll be much more calm. Sox will get LaRussa likely; Torre if they can offer him huge bucks and if LaRussa doesn't want to leave St. Looie.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
I really think Oz is gone after this season. It all makes too much sense. He's off to Florida where he can work in the NL. He'll love Florida and nobody cares about baseball there so he'll be much more calm. Sox will get LaRussa likely; Torre if they can offer him huge bucks and if LaRussa doesn't want to leave St. Looie.

Torre will go to the Mets, imo.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 02:20 AM)
Do you really think that Gio Gonzalez would have an ERA below 4 (let alone the 3.47 he's at) pitching half of his games for the White Sox? Surprise surprise, he's been phenomenal at home (2.70 with a completely unsustainable .229 BABIP) and a bit more human on the road (4.22 ERA, a somewhat unlucky but closer to reality .322 BABIP, and 1.44 WHIP). I would say his road splits are closer to his natural talent level than his overall numbers indicate because he's pitching in a great pitching environment for half of his games.

The first time he traded Gio Gonzalez, he got Jim Thome. I'd say the Sox won that one.

The time he traded for Gio Gonzalez, he also got Gavin Floyd, and gave up Freddy Garcia. I'd say the Sox won that one.

The second time he traded Gio Gonzalez, he got Nick Swisher. He had the right intentions, but that trade eventually ended up as terrible.

I also like that you want to compare salaries for some reason. According to FanGraphs WAR calculation, Gavin Floyd has been the 18th best pitcher in the majors this year. Gavin Floyd is good, and he's dirt cheap. At the very least, you could have said something along the lines of comparing Buehrle and Gonzalez's salary, or Peavy and Gonzalez's salary. Gavin Floyd has been everything the Sox have asked for and more.

I also think Gio would have been on par with all of our othr pitchers at Comiskey. Heck he already k'd two of the first three tonite so it don't matter where he throws if they can't hit the ball. I have no problem with the Floyd trade or the Thome deal and if not mistaken didn't both Floyd and YTome come at the same time from Philly? So that's one deal. Swisher's was a flop. I don't think he traded for them separately but maybe I am wrong

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
Floyd injured is just another pile of what we have had this season for the most part. I just hope it is not serious

On the replay of the last pitch he threw, you wouldn't have known that he hurt himself. There was no body language to suggest as much. Certainly nothing like what Peavy displayed on his last pitch of the season. So from that standpoint, I'm hoping it's not all that serious.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 03:29 AM)
On the replay of the last pitch he threw, you wouldn't have known that he hurt himself. There was no body language to suggest as much. Certainly nothing like what Peavy displayed on his last pitch of the season. So from that standpoint, I'm hoping it's not all that serious either.

Maybe a strain or pulled muscle is all. Let's hope so anyway

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 03:29 AM)
On the replay of the last pitch he threw, you wouldn't have known that he hurt himself. There was no body language to suggest as much. Certainly nothing like what Peavy displayed on his last pitch of the season. So from that standpoint, I'm hoping it's not all that serious.

Hopefully it's a back strain, etc.