Official Squared Circle Thread

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 08:31 PM)
Ugh. Val Venis.

So was I the only one to mark out when he showed up? Anywho, due to the whole Bret/Shawn thing Raw has been better. For my first show TNA has shown me nothing that wants me to come back, especially that I see the nasty boys walk in. However, I will watch Styles/Angle.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
He's supposed to be a heel. He's just really frustrated because they've buried him. They haven't done anything meaningful with him in forever.

And this is the problem with what I think TNA is about to do here. Bury any talent they have and give guys like the Nasty Boys 2 segments. WTF is that?

And if Styles loses the strap tonite.....all I can say is not good

I think people need to understand. The whole point of TNA tonight with these old guys is to show and get in peoples' minds that even though they think their in the club, that's not how it's going to work. So all these guys trying to gain entrance because their Hogan's friends, are going to have a much harder time finding out that it doesn't matter. Hence, the Nasty Boyz not being on the list.

Dixie was promised not the stale show that led to the downfall of WCW as long as she brought along Eric with Hogan. That's the point with Jarrett having to earn his keep. Same with the nWo.

So far, I've liked TNA's show much better overall than WWE's minus the Bret Hart segments and Jerishow. And that's because Bret Hart is my favorite wrestler ever.

BTW, this AJ and Angle match is great.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
I think people need to understand. The whole point of TNA tonight with these old guys is to show and get in peoples' minds that even though they think their in the club, that's not how it's going to work. So all these guys trying to gain entrance because their Hogan's friends, are going to have a much harder time finding out that it doesn't matter. Hence, the Nasty Boyz not being on the list.

Dixie was promised not the stale show that led to the downfall of WCW as long as she brought along Eric with Hogan. That's the point with Jarrett having to earn his keep. Same with the nWo.

So far, I've liked TNA's show much better overall than WWE's minus the Bret Hart segments and Jerishow. And that's because Bret Hart is my favorite wrestler ever.

BTW, this AJ and Angle match is great.

We just dont see eye to eye. This Styles/Angle match has been brutal, and I wasnt flipping back and forth. Angle is a shell of his former self.

I think you need to understand that you are about to see the same thing that brought down WCW, because thats what Im seeing here. The entire show tonite was crap, the Big Show/DX match was better than anything TNA offered. The production, follow through, excitement.

My buddy was right, this is like watching the NFL vs the XFL

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
We just dont see eye to eye. This Styles/Angle match has been brutal, and I wasnt flipping back and forth. Angle is a shell of his former self.

I think you need to understand that you are about to see the same thing that brought down WCW, because thats what Im seeing here

To each their own I guess. I really think this Angle/Styles has been a heck of a match for a Monday Nighter. This type of match does remind me of a WCW main event on Nitro before they got stale. Great match.

Now comes my only dilemma of the night. Hart/McMahon or the end of this match, which I'm really enjoying.

I have to choose Hart/VKM. Please, TNA, don't fail to let me down with a stupid run-in screwjob ending to this match.

I know you have it in you!

Vinny with a kick to the balls....or probably guts, but still!

Is it just me, or did Bret actually look a little younger by the end of the show?

It's the weirdest thing. He looked a lot more alive at the end than he did when he walked out at 8:00.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
Vinny with a kick to the balls....or probably guts, but still!

Is it just me, or did Bret actually look a little younger by the end of the show?

It's the weirdest thing. He looked a lot more alive at the end than he did when he walked out at 8:00.

he water slicked his hair.

Vince is gonna be in the sharpshooter by mania. Thats awesome. I still think HBK plays some part in it, I just dont know which side yet.

So Foley went to knock out Bischoff and Nash, Hall and Xpac made the save?

Edited by KyYlE23

The TNA show was BRUTAL aside from Angle/Styles imo..

I had it PiP with Raw on the main screen and TNA in the bottom corner and the only thing I saw was WWE washouts the whole show EXCEPT for when chicks were wrestling..

I thought Raw had by far the better show, even with a very light card.. the Hart/HBK faceoff at the beginning was good stuff, but the Vince one was much better..

Ok guys, lets give our ratings. First monday night wars in a long ass time, lets keep it simple and rate it on a 10 Shooting Star Press scale(name it whatever you want, scale it to 10)

TNA

5 Shooting Star Presses. The people were there, the hype was there, the unexpected wrestler(Hardy) showed up. To me, the drawback was lack of any moveable storyline, the facetime for Naitch and the Nasty Boys, Hall looking visibly drunk, and the total disaster that was the opening cagematch. This was their time to shine and they did not, they delivered a product that is not different from what they have been delivering.

WWE

6 Shooting Star Presses. Hart alone was a storyline that will draw for the next 3 months up until mania, and Vince did what we all knew he would do and we watched him anyways, which gives them the slight edge. Jericho is (finally) off RAW, and it looks like Show will be going back to true singles competition, maybe even a story with Jericho after looking at the end of the match. The in between was pretty forgettable, but at least they remembered Dr Death(as opposed to Umaga)

I watched all of TNA, then used DVR to watch Raw. I watched the Bret segment in the beginning and at the end, I didn't care for anything else that happened on RAW. The show just feels very stale.

As for TNA, a lot of surprises tonight. I stayed with the whole show throughout and while there were some not so good moments I'm really looking forward to what they are going to do next.

TNA gets a 6 from me for the night. One of the main reasons is because I was actually happy to have a second option. I didn't have to sit through a commercial, I could flip to TNA.. I didn't have to watch all of a match I didn't care to see, I could watch what TNA was doing. What I didn't like about it was all of the retreads TNA is trying to shove down our throats. Hall and Waltman are irrelevant now. Jeff Hardy can go for all I care, the dude has been given way too many opportunities and messes up constantly. I loved the Styles/Angle match, I thought it was the best part of the show, easily. But man they really set the tone the wrong way with how the show opened. That cage match was a snoozer, you cant have your biggest show ever have this is bulls*** chants 15 minutes in.

I don't even know if they are going to continue being on Mondays, but if they are going to be legit competition for WWE they are going to have to step it up better then they did tonight. The show was a 6, as far as going to war with WWE its prolly more like a 4 in comparison.

WWE gets an 8 from me for the night. The Bret Hart thing alone was way more than enough. Especially when you didn't know how they were going to run with it. Hart comes out, spits some memories at us, and then he calls out HBK right away. After everything I have ever heard about it since Bret left, who really thought that this would EVER happen? Bret Hart, back in a WWE ring face to face with HBK and Vince talking 97 Montreal??

Maryse is just so hott, I could look at her all day. The Miz is also someone to me who is stepping it up. When he had that bad music with the giant shorts and fedora, I really couldn't stand him. Hes got a new look, hes got new music, I have really been feeling the Miz for a while now.

I didn't pay much attention to the fatal 4 way, Sheamus and Bourne was ok, and Orton/Kofi seemed a little out of place but again it was ok. Like I said, the Bret Hart segments sold it for me.

Im not gonna lie, but I was really worried for a second that there was not going to be a swerve and they really were going to end with burying the hatchet. I am glad they didn't do that, but, lets say a few months ago I started posting in here about how I think it would be cool if they brought back Bret Hart to host Raw and eventually turn it into a Vince/Hart match possibly at Wrestlemania.. not a single person would have thought that was even a real option and now it looks like we may get to see that, which I think would be a very solid add to a Wrestlmania card due to history alone, I dont care if they are both old as s***.

Anyways, I really hope TNA did enough to have reason to keep going on Mondays.. Look at what it has already done to the WWE, TNA shows up with its best shot and Vince somehow gets Bret Hart back in a WWE ring.. there is absolutely nothing they could do better than that outside of a Stone Cold or Rock FULL TIME return..

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Ok guys, lets give our ratings. First monday night wars in a long ass time, lets keep it simple and rate it on a 10 Shooting Star Press scale(name it whatever you want, scale it to 10)

TNA

5 Shooting Star Presses. The people were there, the hype was there, the unexpected wrestler(Hardy) showed up. To me, the drawback was lack of any moveable storyline, the facetime for Naitch and the Nasty Boys, Hall looking visibly drunk, and the total disaster that was the opening cagematch. This was their time to shine and they did not, they delivered a product that is not different from what they have been delivering.

If they are going to have Flair, I liked what they did with him tonight. Simply in terms of the idea he didn't say or do anything really tonight, so hopefully next show people who care about him will want to turn in to see why he is there. I thought for sure he was going to help Angle win the title. I've seen the "birdcage" live and it's hard to watch. They would've been better with an Ultimate X match. The "finish" was lame, why couldn't they just let Homicide win that way? Was it really going to matter?

I think the product tonight was a big improvement in production and pacing. They usually have 500 things happenings in a 30 half, and while I agree that was somewhat the case tonight they did give things time to unfold and recaped them. There was new camera angles used and little production things that made the show better to me as well.

I'm not sure what to think on the Nasty Boys and such. I feel like them and Orlando Jordan are just there as 1-2 show deal to show Hogan's buddy's looking to come and Hogan tells them to leave I hope. Time will tell.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
TNA gets a 6 from me for the night. One of the main reasons is because I was actually happy to have a second option. I didn't have to sit through a commercial, I could flip to TNA.. I didn't have to watch all of a match I didn't care to see, I could watch what TNA was doing. What I didn't like about it was all of the retreads TNA is trying to shove down our throats. Hall and Waltman are irrelevant now. Jeff Hardy can go for all I care, the dude has been given way too many opportunities and messes up constantly. I loved the Styles/Angle match, I thought it was the best part of the show, easily. But man they really set the tone the wrong way with how the show opened. That cage match was a snoozer, you cant have your biggest show ever have this is bulls*** chants 15 minutes in.

I don't even know if they are going to continue being on Mondays, but if they are going to be legit competition for WWE they are going to have to step it up better then they did tonight. The show was a 6, as far as going to war with WWE its prolly more like a 4 in comparison.

WWE gets an 8 from me for the night. The Bret Hart thing alone was way more than enough. Especially when you didn't know how they were going to run with it. Hart comes out, spits some memories at us, and then he calls out HBK right away. After everything I have ever heard about it since Bret left, who really thought that this would EVER happen? Bret Hart, back in a WWE ring face to face with HBK and Vince talking 97 Montreal??

Maryse is just so hott, I could look at her all day. The Miz is also someone to me who is stepping it up. When he had that bad music with the giant shorts and fedora, I really couldn't stand him. Hes got a new look, hes got new music, I have really been feeling the Miz for a while now.

I didn't pay much attention to the fatal 4 way, Sheamus and Bourne was ok, and Orton/Kofi seemed a little out of place but again it was ok. Like I said, the Bret Hart segments sold it for me.

Im not gonna lie, but I was really worried for a second that there was not going to be a swerve and they really were going to end with burying the hatchet. I am glad they didn't do that, but, lets say a few months ago I started posting in here about how I think it would be cool if they brought back Bret Hart to host Raw and eventually turn it into a Vince/Hart match possibly at Wrestlemania.. not a single person would have thought that was even a real option and now it looks like we may get to see that, which I think would be a very solid add to a Wrestlmania card due to history alone, I dont care if they are both old as s***.

Anyways, I really hope TNA did enough to have reason to keep going on Mondays.. Look at what it has already done to the WWE, TNA shows up with its best shot and Vince somehow gets Bret Hart back in a WWE ring.. there is absolutely nothing they could do better than that outside of a Stone Cold or Rock FULL TIME return..

This Monday show was a one off, and if the ratings are well they may get a full time gig. I think it's clear they are going towards Bret and Vince at Mania, once I saw the Shawn and Bret deal in the beginning of the show that was all I needed to see personally. We closed that chapter.

Regardless of how I felt about TNAs show tonite, I still recognize that competition breeds success, and WWE has succeeded before when competition has presented itself. I have hope that TNA can right the ship, but they have to truly walk the "you gotta earn it" walk and not just say it and hand the strap to Hogan or Nash etc.

I was really disappointed that they went Sting 1997-1999. The hiding in the background/rafters thing just doesnt excite me anymore. It isnt like he is gonna come flying in on a rope and surprise everyone.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
Regardless of how I felt about TNAs show tonite, I still recognize that competition breeds success, and WWE has succeeded before when competition has presented itself. I have hope that TNA can right the ship, but they have to truly walk the "you gotta earn it" walk and not just say it and hand the strap to Hogan or Nash etc.

I was really disappointed that they went Sting 1997-1999. The hiding in the background/rafters thing just doesnt excite me anymore. It isnt like he is gonna come flying in on a rope and surprise everyone.

I don't know what they want to do with Sting, he's been off again on again doing the rafter deal in TNA. He doesn't wanna wrestle much, so I think it's their way of trying to keep him involved. I don't think Hogan is going to be on all the time, he's smart enough to know he can't be cause he'll burn out and the crowd won't care. He's best in short doses.

If it wasn't for Bret, I honestly would not have watched Raw.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
I don't know what they want to do with Sting, he's been off again on again doing the rafter deal in TNA. He doesn't wanna wrestle much, so I think it's their way of trying to keep him involved. I don't think Hogan is going to be on all the time, he's smart enough to know he can't be cause he'll burn out and the crowd won't care. He's best in short doses.

If it wasn't for Bret, I honestly would not have watched Raw.

If it wasnt for Hogan, I wouldnt have watched TNA. And Hogan doesnt have the drawing power for me anymore for me to tune in every week to see what he has in store. Its not like he is going to give us an amazing match when he actually wrestles, and that goes for most of his buddies too. Thats why I think this move will backfire, the quality of wrestling on that show is going to go down when the actual talent is forced to the side for the superstars. The big leg drop for hogan isnt much of a finisher anywhere else in the world of wrestling anymore, its barely even a starter move.

The key to TNA is Bischoff. He can recognize talent and he can put on a show, but sometimes his ego gets the best of him, especially when he is surrounded by the boys