Matt Murton > Ichiro?

knightni

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 01:45 AM)
Matt Murton's always been a pretty good ball player. He plays good D, gets on base, has a bit of power. Thing is, the Cubs totally screwed him up.

I always liked him myself. Thought he would had been alot better than what he turned out to be. Hell, Beane loved the guy. Really a shame he was never given a legitimate shot in a full season. (closest he had was 455 ABs, where he put up .297/.365/.444/.809, then was reduced to the bench the next year)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 01:45 AM)
Matt Murton's always been a pretty good ball player. He plays good D, gets on base, has a bit of power. Thing is, the Cubs totally screwed him up.

He's never been a good defensive player. I don't think the Cubs screwed him up. He hit pretty well with them. When they traded him, he did nothing but hit his way to Japan.

I don't know how many games they have left, but don't they usually hold the foreign guys out if they can if they are about to break a Japanese player's record?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
He's never been a good defensive player. I don't think the Cubs screwed him up. He hit pretty well with them. When they traded him, he did nothing but hit his way to Japan.

I don't know how many games they have left, but don't they usually hold the foreign guys out if they can if they are about to break a Japanese player's record?

All those advanced metrics say otherwise.

Murton was not a good defensive outfielder. He had a poor outfield arm and was only capable of playing LF and 1B defensively. Guy was a nice hitter, despite limited power. However, when he went to Oakland he forgot how to hit and I was surprised he wasn't able to make it back after that. I liked him with the Cubs and thought he'd be a real nice AL player when utilized in the right platoon system.