Gamethread: Sox vs. Beaneaters, 7:10 PM 09/29

elgonzo4sox

Sox record over the Sawx so far this season: 4-1

It's Freddy (11 wins, 4.74 ERA) vs. Beckett (6 wins, 5.77 ERA)

The Sox are playing hard and trying to win out, whereas the Sawx might experience a bit of a letdown and rest some players after getting officially eliminated last night.

C'mon Sox, let's beat those Beaneaters again! :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
A.J. hitting 4th. I'll admit that is one thing I didn't think I would ever see. Still no Viciedo, Flowers.. still another game I won't watch.

Viciedo clearly isn't ready despite the fact that he has outperformed Ozzie's hand selected DH for this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
White Sox won last night when I started the game thread. If they go on a losing streak now and somehow don't make the playoffs, its all your fault!!!!

Pierre LF

Vizquel 2B

Quentin RF

Pierzynski C

A. Ramirez SS

Teahen DH

Kotsay 1B

Morel 3B

De Aza CF

Garcia P

wow. that lineup makes me want to vomit.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
Why is Paulie out? Seems like he's missed a few games lately, and he's still marginally in the MVP discussion. Why bench him at all this last week? Let the guy play out what may be his last week with this team.

I don't know about all that. Last night his opposite field double was sure a pretty piece of hitting

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
I don't know about all that. Last night his opposite field double was sure a pretty piece of hitting

Konerko's double yesterday was indeed, as Ozzie said, the hit of the game. But I don't think Paulie has been the same since Pavano hit him. Yes he hit an HR in the next at bat, but I think the stats would show that his hot streak ended that game.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
this is the first game i have watched since the minnesota massacre. whats up with CQ standing practically straight up in the box. walker talk him out of the crouch?

Don't know.

I was a huge Joe Crede fan too, but unfortunately Joe can no longer win games for the Sox. You need to get a "Rally Rios"...or maybe create a "Rally Morel"...

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 07:43 PM)
Don't know.

I was a huge Joe Crede fan too, but unfortunately Joe can no longer win games for the Sox. You need to get a "Rally Rios"...or maybe create a "Rally Morel"...

id rather have a "fire Ozzie and Kenny and get fresh ideas and people in place"

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
id rather have a "fire Ozzie and Kenny and get fresh ideas and people in place"

We'll have to agree to disagree there. The Sox will finish this year with 5 to 10 more wins than last year, and in 5th or 6th place overall in the AL. You don't do a major housecleaning after a season like this one, regardless of how painful it was to get swept at home by the Twins this month. Instead, you try to do incremental improvements.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
We'll have to agree to disagree there. The Sox will finish this year with 5 to 10 more wins than last year, and in 5th or 6th place overall in the AL. You don't do a major housecleaning after a season like this one, regardless of how painful it was to get swept at home by the Twins this month. Instead, you try to do incremental improvements.

I am of the believe that the organization right now is not very solid. I think letting your manager dictate your offseason moves(Thome or other DH bat) is a bad idea. KW should have known better. Ozzie ran a bad team this season. His lineups, his idea that Kotsay was a fine part of a platoon. The 2 of them have been in position together since 2004. That is 7 seasons and we only made the playoffs 2 times. If you take into account the payroll, which the past 5 seasons have been over $100 million, we have only made the playoffs once during that span. If you look at the other team's in our division, they have lower payroll but still manage to make the playoffs, because they have deep farms and competent GM's and manager's in place for the most part.

I just think it is time for a change. I blame Ozzie more than KW, but KW's decision to listen to Ozzie instead of making the decision by himself like he should have, makes me want him gone. The makeup of the roster is completely on the GM and those decisions are his. I just don't think he did the job and I wouldn't keep a guy who can't make his own decisions in such a large job as a GM.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
I am of the believe that the organization right now is not very solid. I think letting your manager dictate your offseason moves(Thome or other DH bat) is a bad idea. KW should have known better. Ozzie ran a bad team this season. His lineups, his idea that Kotsay was a fine part of a platoon. The 2 of them have been in position together since 2004. That is 7 seasons and we only made the playoffs 2 times. If you take into account the payroll, which the past 5 seasons have been over $100 million, we have only made the playoffs once during that span. If you look at the other team's in our division, they have lower payroll but still manage to make the playoffs, because they have deep farms and competent GM's and manager's in place for the most part.

I just think it is time for a change. I blame Ozzie more than KW, but KW's decision to listen to Ozzie instead of making the decision by himself like he should have, makes me want him gone. The makeup of the roster is completely on the GM and those decisions are his. I just don't think he did the job and I wouldn't keep a guy who can't make his own decisions in such a large job as a GM.

Why not just let Ozzie and Kenny fix the DH mistake they made this year, and see what happens next year? If that's all it would take to contend, then we're real close and only need to make that incremental improvement, plus deal with a few other issues such as closer (where we have multiple options in-house already) and the timing of Peavy's return to the rotation. Why clean house? The Twins never clean house - they have more stability than the White Sox...

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 08:16 PM)
Why not just let Ozzie and Kenny fix the DH mistake they made this year, and see what happens next year? If that's all it would take to contend, then we're real close and only need to make that incremental improvement, plus deal with a few other issues such as closer (where we have multiple options in-house already) and the timing of Peavy's return to the rotation. Why clean house? The Twins never clean house - they have more stability than the White Sox...

But every year it is something that goes wrong basically. Last year it was Wise as an everyday guy, along with Fields. Then we have the Erstad, Mackowiak year. We have had bullpen issues in years past.

My point is, as soon as we fix one problem, another one opens up. It is like having 2 wounds and only 1 bandaid. Next year we may solve the DH problem and then have an issue with SP, bullpen, OF, IF etc. Right now looking into the near future, we have very good SP. That is the one huge plus at the moment. We have some other positives, Alexei and Beckham will continue to grow into next year and Rios reestabilished himself. Pierre proved to be what we expected, but nothing great in terms of baseball value.(OPS, WAR etc) We have huge gaping holes at DH, 1B,3B,RF heading into the offseason. I say RF cause CQ has been mediocre for 2 seasons now. That is alot to fix in my opinion.