2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
lol. that would take some kind of miracle involving the use of chloroform in a sign-and-trade and I'm not even sure it can actually be done but I'd jizz myself. Not like Joakim Noah is chopped liver but the Bulls would be a juggernaut... fun to think about, anyway.
I was more hoping we'd get rid of Boozer somehow, and since this is a ridiculous fantasy scenario with no chance of happening, that's absolutely what we would do.

This thread reminds me of Illini fans during the Deron vs. CP3 discussions. If you dared even think that CP3 might be better, then you were the dumbest person in the world. Just remember what happened when Illinois played Wake Forest.

DRose is the bomb and I'd personally prefer him over Paul, but come on, Paul is a beast and he's only 25. Picking him is not some stupid idea.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
Is anyone worried that the 8th seed Pacers are really pushing the Bulls to the limit and are in real trouble versus better teams than the Pacers?

This might have been mentioned by someone else earlier, but Chris Webber said it best. The first round matters not. It's a stepping stone. Getting acclimated to playoff basketball. Webber mentioned the Bulls 72 win season when he was in Washington when the Bulls were the 1 seed and WAS was the 8th seed. They got swept in the 1st round but were in it in every game and really played the Bulls hard. Didn't matter, Bulls went on to win the championship.

Obviously this team isn't nearly as experienced, nor do they have 3 Hall of Famers on the roster, but the point is the same. This actually reminds me A LOT of the Bulls/Celtics 1st round series two years ago, except the Bulls are in the opposite position now.

A sweep would be really nice since the Orlando/Atlanta series seems a lock to go 6 or 7 games. This team could use some rest. It's the playoffs, and you only have to win 16 to get in. I'm interested more in lowering that number currently at 13 than style points, especially if on the road like the Bulls were tonight.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)
This might have been mentioned by someone else earlier, but Chris Webber said it best. The first round matters not. It's a stepping stone. Getting acclimated to playoff basketball. Webber mentioned the Bulls 72 win season when he was in Washington when the Bulls were the 1 seed and WAS was the 8th seed. They got swept in the 1st round but were in it in every game and really played the Bulls hard. Didn't matter, Bulls went on to win the championship.

Obviously this team isn't nearly as experienced, nor do they have 3 Hall of Famers on the roster, but the point is the same. This actually reminds me A LOT of the Bulls/Celtics 1st round series two years ago, except the Bulls are in the opposite position now.

The 2007-08 Celtics won 66 games in the regular season. They went to 7 games with the Hawks in the first round. They also won the Championship.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 12:04 AM)
Whatever with this discussion. What happens to Dwight Howard is the Magic happen to lose in the first round?

That question really can't be answered until we have a new CBA. If there's such thing as a franchise tag or a hard cap, it totally changes the playing field.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)
Whatever with this discussion. What happens to Dwight Howard is the Magic happen to lose in the first round?

i believe the Magic GM already publicly stated he is not trading Dwight in the offseason, so it is a wait and see approach now, especially with the CBA issue. I highly doubt he is traded during the season, with Dwight alone the Magic can stay in the upper tier of the Eastern conference, and who knows if they try and add around him this upcoming offseason to make a run and convince Howard to stay

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
i believe the Magic GM already publicly stated he is not trading Dwight in the offseason, so it is a wait and see approach now, especially with the CBA issue. I highly doubt he is traded during the season, with Dwight alone the Magic can stay in the upper tier of the Eastern conference, and who knows if they try and add around him this upcoming offseason to make a run and convince Howard to stay

One thing I think we can take from the Magic is that "Of course they'll try and add around him". They've been trying to add around him, with varying degrees of success, for the last 5 years.

Problem is, they've got a lot of sunk cost contracts and one total garbage one to deal with. So, however the CBA goes, it's going to be tough for them.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
You guys act as if it's mutually exclusive. Efficient players can be closers. You don't have to chuck up 25 shots a night just to finish off a game. Once Rose realizes this and stops settling for the long contested threes, he'll take his game to a much higher level.

The problem is your point doesn't hold water. Rose's game went to the next level this year because teams could no longer just go under the screens and pack the lane. Instead of having to defend Rose for 20 feet of the floor, they now have to defend him for 30 feet by going over the top of the Bulls big men screen game. Not only does that allow Rose's drive game more room to work because the defensive bodies are spread out over more of the floor, it also allows Thibs offense to be optimally spaced out. He makes double and triple Rose even more difficult because the space between their man, and getting to Rose is greater. If they do double, it makes getting back to their defender much more difficult. As a result of this the outside shooting of the Bulls team has been much better this year, because there are getting better looks. Past that you have a great offensive rebounding front line to chases those misses.

Advanced metrics don't recognize things like floor space and shot threat. It equates to the deep ball in football. If you know that there is no threat of a QB going deep, there is no need to keep your safety's deep. It allows you to pack more guys into the box and attack the line of scrimmage. Those couple of deep chucks a game, while they don't look good for this QB rating, make the rest of the game free up. Rose's deep game is the same thing.

It has nothing to do with being a Homer or whatever you want to turn it into. Its about solid fundamental team basketball. Move past the numbers and watch the game. Trust me, I have been doing this a while now. Not only have I been watching this game forever, but I have also been on a coaching staff and a broadcaster for a lot of games.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
Felix > this thread

I'm sorry. He offers up legitimate analysis. The Rose homerism around here is nearing realgm status. The dude is f***ing awesome. Felix has admitted this. He's a fool because he'd rather have Paul? I don't think so.

He doesn't really. He offers up fantasy basketball analysis. He offers nothing about how the game is actually played.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 06:11 AM)
The Pacers definitely aren't winning this series or possibly even a game, but it's encouraging to think that we are going to finally become something from the way they have contended in this series.

They are WAY better than when they started this season. They are moving in the right direction.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)

He will meet secretly with the big 3 in Miami and decide to play with them come free agency!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
They are WAY better than when they started this season. They are moving in the right direction.

they remind me a lot of the bulls 04-07. They play hard, are scrappy as f***, but in the end they are just a jump shooting team which never get very far in the playoffs. For example: last night.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
He doesn't really. He offers up fantasy basketball analysis. He offers nothing about how the game is actually played.

Thank you, there is such a disconnect among some posters.

I like how it's Rose homerism. HE. IS. GOING. TO. WIN. MVP.

There is no homerism. It's f***ing realism. He's unreal, and I'd be posting that if he were on the Golden State Warriors. I just happen to be lucky enough that the NBA MVP, 22 years old no less, is on my team.

Did some fail to receive the memorandum?

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)
they remind me a lot of the bulls 04-07. They play hard, are scrappy as f***, but in the end they are just a jump shooting team which never get very far in the playoffs. For example: last night.

They have a Skiles vibe for sure.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
Thank you, there is such a disconnect among some posters.

I like how it's Rose homerism. HE. IS. GOING. TO. WIN. MVP.

There is no homerism. It's f***ing realism. He's unreal, and I'd be posting that if he were on the Golden State Warriors. I just happen to be lucky enough that the NBA MVP, 22 years old no less, is on my team.

Did some fail to receive the memorandum?

There are a lot of really great players in the NBA right now. And I love the Chris Paul is back, it's ridiculous to leave out his injury history and evaluate him based off of fisher guarding him. BUt as a fan, intangibles do matter. Lebron can never be the best player in the nba after last summer. I don't give a s*** if he technically is pound for pound unreal. If he decided to take the pounding Drose takes and use his inside game he would be even better, but he doesn't try to achieve himself at his greatest, Rose does. And that s*** really does matter. CP3 I love but really until I see him back to full speed for a full season he's just not in the discussion. This team really needed a go-to guy and rose has given them that and then some. I'm not worried about losing games late b/c of waiting for ben gordon to hit a fall away three pointer anymore. I'm very grateful.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
I find it funny how b****y the indiana fans are about the foul calls. The pacers aren't just fouling, they are fouling really effing hard.

Someone must have told Jeff Foster to impersonate Bill Laimbeer, because that is what he is doing. Im glad the Bulls havent been rising to the bait for the most part, but most of his fouls have been borderline flagrant with his follow through and it hasnt been called once.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
Someone must have told Jeff Foster to impersonate Bill Laimbeer, because that is what he is doing. Im glad the Bulls havent been rising to the bait for the most part, but most of his fouls have been borderline flagrant with his follow through and it hasnt been called once.

I didnt think of it until ESPN mentioned it this morning, Indiana has re-instituted the "Jordan Rules" for Rose.

BTW IT HASN'T BEEN MENTIONED YET

Good god this playoffs have been so much easier to watch with an ACTUAL coach instead of vinny del negro. Things Vinny would not have done, given rose that 3 minutes of rest with 7 minutes left in the 4th in game 1, after which he came back and started the 16-1 run.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
BTW IT HASN'T BEEN MENTIONED YET

Good god this playoffs have been so much easier to watch with an ACTUAL coach instead of vinny del negro. Things Vinny would not have done, given rose that 3 minutes of rest with 7 minutes left in the 4th in game 1, after which he came back and started the 16-1 run.

Lets not forget the Deng offense. "Stand in the corner and wait"