2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
What makes you think this team is built for a one year run like the 2005 Sox? I don't get that impression at all. In fact, with the youth on this team it seems that it's built to be a powerhouse for years to come.

I'm at least a little concerned about that and have been all year...because of the 2007-2008 Hornets.

They peaked at 56 wins, with a whole lot of people thinking they had all the world in upside. I know I thought they'd be the class of the West for years. Then guys started getting hurt. Then they blew their MLE on a horrible contract for James Posey. Then Paul got hurt.

If everyone stays healthy the Bulls are in great shape. But this is the first season Deng's ever been healthy the whole year, Noah still missed half the year, Boozer missed 1/3 of the year, both Noah and Boozer have spent their careers constantly hurt...

And then there's one player who's one knee roll away from ending it all.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
I'm at least a little concerned about that and have been all year...because of the 2007-2008 Hornets.

They peaked at 56 wins, with a whole lot of people thinking they had all the world in upside. I know I thought they'd be the class of the West for years. Then guys started getting hurt. Then they blew their MLE on a horrible contract for James Posey. Then Paul got hurt.

If everyone stays healthy the Bulls are in great shape. But this is the first season Deng's ever been healthy the whole year, Noah still missed half the year, Boozer missed 1/3 of the year, both Noah and Boozer have spent their careers constantly hurt...

And then there's one player who's one knee roll away from ending it all.

So your solution is to dismantle the team and go with a Rose/Howard combo surrounded by scrubs?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 17, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
I dont think Steve was being literal at all, I think he meant that if you have to give up Noah/Taj etc for Howard, is that a cost that makes sense. After watching this team with its interchangeable parts, do you really want to change the entire dynamic?

The more I read about the Bulls and Rose, the more I feel that they should just keep this team as is. Improve on the core, instead of trading away pieces of the core for more "superstar".

Howard is a monster, but Im not sure if he fits in with the dynamic of this team.

And think more like what the Knicks sent to Denver. You are talking about starters, depth, and draft picks. Those are all of the things that his this team in a position to win right now. It would be different if this was a one and done team, but what they have now seems to be working. Maybe I'd change my mind if Miami won the next four games, but I don't see that happening.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
What makes you think this team is built for a one year run like the 2005 Sox? I don't get that impression at all. In fact, with the youth on this team it seems that it's built to be a powerhouse for years to come.

Honestly, and I'm sure it's just me that thinks this, I don't see this as a perennial 60 win outfit as currently constructed. This team overachieved by about 10 games if you ask me. The division was historically bad. And you got other teams with multiple stars that should be better in the future. The Heat. The Knicks. If the Nets can land Howard? Yikes. The Bulls have been great this year and don't have to apologize for anything. I just think it's delusional to say adding a monster like Howard would be detrimental because it could mess with team harmony. Please. NBA2K11 wouldn't even allow you to pair Rose/Howard without some kinda cheat code. I'll worry about finding another Taj Gibson in the draft or something.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
You guys are so literal sometimes. I don't think Buehrle > Wood meant he would trade 11 players for Howard. He meant that any combination of players that it took to land Howard sans Rose would be acceptable to him. And I agree. In Rose/Howard, you would have one of the most devastating PG/C combos in the history of the game. You set yourself up for a string of title runs. Not just a flash in the pan (hello, White Sox).

Nice post.

You're pairing the game's best defensive player with one of the game's great defensive minds and also arguably the game's top player right now. You do that every time. Wade/LeBron and especially 'Melo/Amare should not be compared to that because what the Bulls would have would be better.

And Taj/Noah? The Magic would laugh at such a proposal...

The Bulls are only really going to need one or two players for the upcoming year:

PG: Rose

SG: FA

SF: Deng

PF: Boozer

C: Noah

PG: Watson

SG: Korver

SF: Brewer (although both he/Korver are really 2.5s)

PF: Taj

C: Asik

PF/C: Thomas

G: FA/Draft/Butler

You have to bring back K. Thomas. He was perfect for the Bulls this year. Then you have really only two spots open. I am assuming the Bulls will release Bogans after July 1 when his contract becomes non-guaranteed (don't quote me on that though). And then you have another guard spot opened on the bench as basically the 11th or 12th man. The Bulls will obviously look to upgrade that 2-guard spot and add maybe one more shooter off the bench. I think Rasual Butler actually fits the Bulls 11th/12th man need perfectly. So whomever we draft is really not going to be active this year or play meaningful minutes. I would much rather draft a couple of international players and develop them in the mode of Omer and what the Spurs do. I would like possibly Nikola Mirotic (a big man who shoots; poor man's Dirk) and maybe a speedy point guard.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
Honestly, and I'm sure it's just me that thinks this, I don't see this as a perennial 60 win outfit as currently constructed. This team overachieved by about 10 games if you ask me. The division was historically bad. And you got other teams with multiple stars that should be better in the future. The Heat. The Knicks. If the Nets can land Howard? Yikes. The Bulls have been great this year and don't have to apologize for anything. I just think it's delusional to say adding a monster like Howard would be detrimental because it could mess with team harmony. Please. NBA2K11 wouldn't even allow you to pair Rose/Howard without some kinda cheat code. I'll worry about finding another Taj Gibson in the draft or something.

It has nothing to do with "team harmony" and everything to do with winning. This team is winning, right now, and doesn't really have any significant players you expect to fall off of a cliff. Really as young as this team is, you should expect improvement out of most of them.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
So your solution is to dismantle the team and go with a Rose/Howard combo surrounded by scrubs?

Trading Noah and Taj for Howard isn't dismantling the team. The Bulls still would have Boozer and Asik down low and Howard can play a ton of minutes and is on a whole nother level. Plus his style of play would fit in perfectly with Thibbs and I suspect he would work tremendously with Rose. That type of deal would be a no-brainer for me, imo.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
Nice post.

You're pairing the game's best defensive player with one of the game's great defensive minds and also arguably the game's top player right now. You do that every time. Wade/LeBron and especially 'Melo/Amare should not be compared to that because what the Bulls would have would be better.

And Taj/Noah? The Magic would laugh at such a proposal...

The lesson we have learned with these two teams is that if you gut your team to put superstars on the floor, you are going to have huge weaknesses that will get exploited in the playoffs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
It has nothing to do with "team harmony" and everything to do with winning. This team is winning, right now, and doesn't really have any significant players you expect to fall off of a cliff. Really as young as this team is, you should expect improvement out of most of them.

You're right. It is all about winning. And that's why I trade anybody on the roster besides Rose for the best C in the game. Because I want to win. Over and over and over again.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
Trading Noah and Taj for Howard isn't dismantling the team. The Bulls still would have Boozer and Asik down low and Howard can play a ton of minutes and is on a whole nother level. Plus his style of play would fit in perfectly with Thibbs and I suspect he would work tremendously with Rose. That type of deal would be a no-brainer for me, imo.

That would be no where near enough to get Howard. Look at what Melo got traded for.

The only way they trade Howard to us is if Rose is involved. No way they take Taj and Noah.

Noah and Taj would be the starting point, you are going to have to give up far more than that, plus you would have limited to no payroll flexibility (depending on new cba).

Im sorry but a I really dont see Howard,Boozer, Rose + scrubs as a better team.

I like Howard, but unless the Bulls have some tricks up their sleeve, getting him would cost far to much and just isnt going to happen.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
The only way they trade Howard to us is if Rose is involved. No way they take Taj and Noah.

I don't know. You offer the Bobcats' pick and maybe a Ronnie Brewer, it becomes intriguing. Howard is gone from Orlando after 2012, so the Magic will have to trade him to get something back.

It really comes down to Brook Lopez and Andrew Bynum. Lopez is a soft big and Bynum is injury prone. While Noah may not be Lopez, Taj certainly offers some terrific value. It all depends who the Nets would be willing to offer in addition to Brook IMO. I personally think the Lakers won't trade for him unless maybe Gasol is the centerpiece, which is completely possible.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
Noah and Taj would be the starting point, you are going to have to give up far more than that, plus you would have limited to no payroll flexibility (depending on new cba).

Im sorry but a I really dont see Howard,Boozer, Rose + scrubs as a better team.

I like Howard, but unless the Bulls have some tricks up their sleeve, getting him would cost far to much and just isnt going to happen.

Well it's really the same starting lineup with Howard instead of Noah (clear win) and then a bench of Korver, Watson, Asik as the main guys (I am assuming Brewer is traded for cap-matching purposes for Howard). I think that team is as good, personally.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
The lesson we have learned with these two teams is that if you gut your team to put superstars on the floor, you are going to have huge weaknesses that will get exploited in the playoffs.

Let's win this series first before we make that declaration. And should the Heat lose, so be it. Are you seriously going to criticize Riley for landing the three best players on the market? Shame on that man. The Heat's cast would not be nearly as bad had Haslem not gotten hurt and had Mike Miller not turned into Wite. That's just something they'll have to improve.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
Let's win this series first before we make that declaration. And should the Heat lose, so be it. Are you seriously going to criticize Riley for landing the three best players on the market? Shame on that man. The Heat's cast would not be nearly as bad had Haslem not gotten hurt and had Mike Miller not turned into Wite. That's just something they'll have to improve.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
I don't know. You offer the Bobcats' pick and maybe a Ronnie Brewer, it becomes intriguing. Howard is gone from Orlando after 2012, so the Magic will have to trade him to get something back.

It really comes down to Brook Lopez and Andrew Bynum. Lopez is a soft big and Bynum is injury prone. While Noah may not be Lopez, Taj certainly offers some terrific value. It all depends who the Nets would be willing to offer in addition to Brook IMO. I personally think the Lakers won't trade for him unless maybe Gasol is the centerpiece, which is completely possible.

Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash.

That is what got you Carmelo. The deal being discussed here isn't even close.

Taj/Noah isn't going to get the Magic to bite, that's for sure so it's useless to talk about. You're going to have to start with Deng/Noah(it's going to cost more than that obviously) and if you're trading Deng away you really do start to change the whole dynamic of this team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)

That is kind of my point. You have three incredible players on that Miami team, and they still aren't the favorites to win it all. The Bulls would have only two stars, and a complete lack of depth. Haslem is legit, but Miller is the exact type of player the Bulls would be looking at to fill up their roster at minimum wage. He is absolutely a great example of the type of guys the Bulls would have to bring in. Legit players won't sign for that little money.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
Taj/Noah isn't going to get the Magic to bite, that's for sure so it's useless to talk about. You're going to have to start with Deng/Noah(it's going to cost more than that obviously) and if you're trading Deng away you really do start to change the whole dynamic of this team.

With the new CBA, Deng isn't going anywhere. His value remains highest to the Bulls.

I think you try and move one of Noah/Boozer and one of Asik/Taj for a package that can get you Howard. While Thibs system makes Asik and Taj look better then they actaully are, I think it also makes Boozer look worse than he actually is on the defensive side.

The Bulls still have no second scoring option and the Heat, Knicks and Nets are all going to push really hard to get better.

I only brought this up as this thread is hopping right now and I wanted to point out that Taj and Asik playing well and possibly over their head in this series could do wonders long term for the Bulls.

I also think many folks are getting over theis skis on how good the Bulls are right now and schdueling the parade.

It would be really difficult to root for that dbag Dwight Howard. Not to mention having to hide him late in games on the offensive end. Obviously, physically he's a beast, but he's a limited beast on the offensive end with a VERY slowly evolving, limited arsenal of post moves who can't hit free throws. He's far and away the Magic's best player, yet he gets limited looks late in games. Speaks volumes when SVG would rather have the ball in Jameer Nelson's hands in crunch time.

That said, I think he might flourish not having to be the leader of his team because obviously he either isn't mature enough for that role or just doesn't want it.