2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilbert Arenas says he faked knee soreness so that Nick Young could get a chance to start in Tuesday's preseason game.

Arenas can't help but get himself involved in drama. After the game, he said his left knee was perfectly fine and said he would play against he Bucks on Thursday. "I told [Young] I'd sacrifice playing tonight so he can get some time in because I know he's kind of frustrated he's not getting a chance to crack the three position. ... "So I told him, 'I'll go ahead, fake an injury or say something's wrong with me so you can start.'" We'll see if the organization comes down on Arenas with any discipline for lying to his coach. His quirky behavior is part of the big risk you take on fantasy draft day with Arenas.

What a piece of s***.

Miami Heat Spend First Two Weeks Of Training Camp Practicing Pregame Introductions

HURLBURT FIELD, FL—After two weeks of intense twice-a-day practices, sources within the Miami Heat organization are reporting that players are already in midseason pregame introduction form. "We spent the first week working on the basics, mostly running out of the tunnel, jumping into one another, and rocking back and forth in a big circle," said newly acquired forward Chris Bosh, still catching his breath Tuesday from a high-five/low-five drill. "But working with guys like LeBron [James] and Dwyane [Wade], it's amazing how quickly we got the feel for one another's preferences. Like just yesterday, Wade and I caught eyes in practice and I instinctively knew he was going to jump into the ring of us starters, and that we should all explode like he was a missile crashing into us." Bosh added that while the Heat is firing on all cylinders, team members are in no position to get complacent, as they could always find more ways to incorporate flames into the introduction.

via

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
Yep best offensive center in the game I'd call him.

I'd also take Brook Lopez over Noah if I was building a team right now.

That's a close one, Lopez is only going to get better on offense, and hopefully Noah too. Both are intense, Noah being on another level though intensity wise

Denver Post

With each Carmelo Anthony sky-walking, up-and-under layup in traffic, it's easy to forget that Melo won't be doing this much longer in powder blue.

Anthony has thrived this preseason — Thursday, he tallied 30 points, 14 rebounds and nine assists in 34 minutes in a 100-95 victory over the Clippers — but privately he has kept his stance that he wants out, according to a source familiar with Anthony's decision-making.

The source said Anthony's camp is getting increasingly frustrated that he has yet to be dealt, desirably to an East Coast team, notably New York or New Jersey. The source maintained Anthony would also agree to a trade with Chicago, but the Nuggets won't make the trade unless it involves Joakim Noah. The source confirmed that it is highly unlikely Anthony agrees to a trade to Philadelphia or the Clippers.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
That's a close one, Lopez is only going to get better on offense, and hopefully Noah too. Both are intense, Noah being on another level though intensity wise

Noah, IMO, has almost no upside offensively. And he'll be overpaid starting next year. I don't know what's with this franchise and overpaying for role players.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 15, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
Noah, IMO, has almost no upside offensively. And he'll be overpaid starting next year. I don't know what's with this franchise and overpaying for role players.

I've actually thought he has looked much improved offensively this preseason. His footwork seems to be getting better and if he is even an average offensive center he can be a huge asset.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 15, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
I've actually thought he has looked much improved offensively this preseason. His footwork seems to be getting better and if he is even an average offensive center he can be a huge asset.

You also have to remember that the scheme he was in last year basically had him come out to the top of the key to screen for DR1 and then he had to come in from behind if he was going to contribute anything other than a rebound. And on my list of things I don't want to have to do...keeping up with Rose on a drive appears quite highly

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 15, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
MJ says in today's NBA he'd either foul out or score 100. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5686980

I'd been saying a for a while that with the way the rules are right now, MJ with his style of play would average 40 ppg, easily. Defense would be different but he would adapt.

MJ is about 5 years late with this revelation. Would he score 100? Nope. That's just inconceivable to me. And Wilt's 100 point game was a bunch of crap. But yeah, on a team in which he was the only legitimate offensive option (like the '87 Bulls), 40 PPG would be a cinch. I read somewhere that he averaged like 23 PPG, 7 RPG, 4 APG, 46.5 FG% in 30 games after turning 40 back in '03. And that was before the league went sissy with all the rules.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 15, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
MJ says in today's NBA he'd either foul out or score 100. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5686980

I'd been saying a for a while that with the way the rules are right now, MJ with his style of play would average 40 ppg, easily. Defense would be different but he would adapt.

If he would have ran up against one of those Don Nelson teams that wanted to run up and down the floor without playing defense, and he got into one of his zones, I could see it being possible once. His average would have been sick with the defensive rules today, plus the clear out offenses.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 15, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
If he would have ran up against one of those Don Nelson teams that wanted to run up and down the floor without playing defense, and he got into one of his zones, I could see it being possible once. His average would have been sick with the defensive rules today, plus the clear out offenses.
Here's Hollinger's take. Read full thing, small excerpt.

Jordan's best season was the 37.1 ppg he averaged in 1986-87. That season the Bulls played the league's slowest pace but still played 3.1 possessions per game more than the average team in 2009-10. Even if the Bulls of that season had dramatically increased their pace to play at a league-average level, Jordan would lose about 3.3 percent of his output (after adjusting to the slower pace of today’s game), other things being equal, and end up at 35.9 points per game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)

He starts that off by basically projecting it like he was substituting values in an equation which isn't really the assumptions that are being made. His style of play and physical ability would get him farther today, playing with today's style of ball, than it did when he was in his prime.

Whether or not he actually could literally get 100 points in a game is debatable but I don't really think that actual number is the point, really. He brings up how Jordan never came close to scoring 100 in his career, but he didn't because he never really had to. But I do think he'd get 40 ppg.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 15, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
lol. What is this idiot talking about? Did Jordan say he could average 100 ppg for a season?

I gave him the benefit of the doubt because the last paragraph seemed to clear it up, but he really should've explained why he was talking ppg and not 100 in a game.