2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
Feel free to derail and explain why a bunch of poor people getting free clothing is a bad thing.

People there have markets, too. These are economies you want to develop. People sell things. When you flood them with a bunch of stuff we don't want here, it undercuts those markets, causing harm to actual businesses. Here's a good article about a company trying to spin these gift-in-kind contributions around and highlight charities that do real work.

http://www.undispatch.com/t-shirts

Some posts:

http://aidwatchers.com/2010/01/nobody-want...-help-in-haiti/ (though snarky)

I realize it's counterintuitive, telling you how not to donate to the needy. They are, after all, needy. But it really floods the market with free things that are often not needed, and can waste effort trying to organize these least needed things.

edit: one way to localize this, is imagine your house burned down. And your neighbors all banded together, collected money for delivery and gave you 1000 free shirts. That's nice of them. But it doesn't really help you in any way, and that money they used to ship it to you, would be way, way ,way more helpful than a bunch of tshirts.

I'm not saying the people donating are bad people, but it's important we highlight overseas charities doing REALLY GREAT work that is productive, and not just dumping things haphazardly.

Edited by bmags

Yea but people are all about free t-shirts. Have you ever seen the full scale war that gets started when the girls with the shirt-bazookas come out?

By the way--I woke up this morning and still felt terrific about the Heat losing.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
Just to throw my two cents in this whole center debate...

Shaq

Kareem

Wilt

Hakeem

Duncan

Russell is in my second tier with Robinson, Ewing, etc.

We're talking Tim Duncan I assume? The guy who's played at the 4 for most of his career? He's the greatest PF to ever do it IMO.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
This ad.

A lot of 3rd world countries receive donations of clothing that have the wrong winner. Generally the clothing is printed before the outcome is determined, so they give it away.

Wow.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)

Hahaha that says it pretty well.

Seriously, a lot of people (like me) would get off LeBron's case if he learned how to act like a normal person who understands what the critics are actually saying (pointing out the glaringly obvious)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
Hahaha that says it pretty well.

Seriously, a lot of people (like me) would get off LeBron's case if he learned how to act like a normal person who understands what the critics are actually saying (pointing out the glaringly obvious)

Magic put it pretty clearly last night. He said he knew when he lost the series for the Lakers against Boston and not only owned up to it, but told the fans that he would do everything he could to improve himself to get them back there. And he did. I remember reading that in his book as well. All Lebron had to do was come out and say, I just put up a total s*** game in this series, and I promise I never will again.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
Magic put it pretty clearly last night. He said he knew when he lost the series for the Lakers against Boston and not only owned up to it, but told the fans that he would do everything he could to improve himself to get them back there. And he did. I remember reading that in his book as well. All Lebron had to do was come out and say, I just put up a total s*** game in this series, and I promise I never will again.

To play devil's advocate, LeBron's soon-to-be-infamous quote came in response to the question "what do you have to say to the people that rooted for you to fail?" Still, that doesn't matter and something along the lines of what you said (I understand why so much is expected of me, I vow to do better) would've been more acceptable. He could've even gotten away with a "f*** you" to his critics in there if he wanted, if he had accepted some kind of accountability. Although he gave credit to Dallas's defense, he didn't take any responsibility.

I mean, I know that Dallas has a tough D but the Bulls had the best D in the NBA and when it came down to it, LeBron ate them up. In the Finals, LeBron's testicles went back up into his body.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 06:18 AM)
That doesn't mean the Magic have to help, especially if they're not getting something really solid back in return.

Right now I think Howard's desperate to play with either Deron Williams or Chris Paul in 12-13.

If Orlando could somehow dump enough contracts to be able to sign both Howard and one of those guys to a max deal under a new CBA, I think Howard would definitely stay with Orlando.

Don't know if that was possible though, but I'd be willing to write off next season if that's what it took. Amnesty waive Gilbert, dump Hedo's contract somehow and you may have a chance.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
Right now I think Howard's desperate to play with either Deron Williams or Chris Paul in 12-13.

If Orlando could somehow dump enough contracts to be able to sign both Howard and one of those guys to a max deal under a new CBA, I think Howard would definitely stay with Orlando.

Don't know if that was possible though, but I'd be willing to write off next season if that's what it took. Amnesty waive Gilbert, dump Hedo's contract somehow and you may have a chance.

The thing that really gets the magic in trouble is that they don't just have to worry about their big deals, their smaller deals make things messy too.

In 2012, they have 7 players on the books guaranteed. Arenas at $20.8 million (H. Christ), Turkoglu at $11.4 million, but then 5 other guys (Duhon, Bass, Reddick, Richardson, Nelson) together for about $25 million between them.

The other guys may be moderately moveable, but that's still a ton of money sitting there. Hypothetically if the league's losing $300 million this year, that might imply a substantial cap drop is required here, which might make it really hard for them to sign a max guy even if they could dump both Arenas and Hedo.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)
The thing that really gets the magic in trouble is that they don't just have to worry about their big deals, their smaller deals make things messy too.

In 2012, they have 7 players on the books guaranteed. Arenas at $20.8 million (H. Christ), Turkoglu at $11.4 million, but then 5 other guys (Duhon, Bass, Reddick, Richardson, Nelson) together for about $25 million between them.

The other guys may be moderately moveable, but that's still a ton of money sitting there. Hypothetically if the league's losing $300 million this year, that might imply a substantial cap drop is required here, which might make it really hard for them to sign a max guy even if they could dump both Arenas and Hedo.

The role players are easy to move. Hell Chicago and Miami could be first in line for a couple of them.

I love minor league baseball.

For one night, fans of the Peoria Chiefs can have their own replica of LeBron James' first championship ring.

Call it the cheapest promotion in sports history because, like James' ring, the handout doesn't exist.

The Chiefs, a Class A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs in the Midwest League, will hold a LeBron James NBA Championship Replica Giveaway night on Thursday, poking fun at the Miami Heat star's loss in the NBA Finals to the Dallas Mavericks.

"Replica rings" -- also known as air -- will be handed out by stadium workers as fans enter the park, according to Chiefs spokesman Nathan Baliva.

Throughout the game, Peoria will honor "a true champion," the Chicago Bulls' six NBA titles with video clips and audio highlights and the Chiefs will take the field to "Sirius," the Alan Parson Project song used by the Bulls during their player introductions.

The Chiefs said they are "looking into" whether they can skip the fourth inning to poke fun at James, who scored just 18 points during the fourth quarter in six NBA Finals games.

"We aren't sure if the league will allow it," Peoria president Rocky Vonachen said in a statement. "But if LeBron doesn't need to show up for the fourth, maybe we won't either."

Among the other James promotional digs planned: A fan will win a "replica" of James' Finals MVP award (which actually went to the Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki), and Heimlich maneuver classes will be offered to help prevent people from "choking in a big situation."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 11:25 PM)
The role players are easy to move. Hell Chicago and Miami could be first in line for a couple of them.

Chris Duhon's all yours for free if you want. :D

Besides that, I think Redick's the other contract which isn't that cap friendly, although the cap hit goes down to 6M and 5M for the next 2 seasons.

I'm worried about SVG going on radio yesterday and saying we want to re-sign J-Rich though. Just seemed as if he has nothing left in the tank, and I think we need to get younger overall as a group going forward.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
I'm worried about SVG going on radio yesterday and saying we want to re-sign J-Rich though. Just seemed as if he has nothing left in the tank, and I think we need to get younger overall as a group going forward.

Well in that case I'll stop thinking that he's an MLE candidate for the Bulls.