Trade Candidates for Kenny this offseason

macsandz

We all know Kenny likes to trade to acquire talent more than sign free agents. This offseason more than most I think he's willing to deal his own impact talent to shake up the make up.

Players likely to be on the Sox Block:

Gavin Floyd

Carlos Quentin

Edwin Jackson

Tyler Flowers

The window for the current core closes after 2011. Time to build a new one.

Some young players the team should consider trading for:

Daric Barton - Young, quality lefty 1B, that can hit and get on base. Barton has walked 15.8% of the time, tops in the majors. .800 OPS in 2010. Quality glove as well.

Matt Kemp - OF. Five tool player that needs a change of scenery. Power + speed. Kenny willing to risk to acquire young, big time upside with attitude? You bet.

BJ Upton - OF. Another five tool talent that would upgrade the OF defense a ton. Power + speed. See above...

Travis Snider - OF. Young lefty hitting power prospect. Could replace Quentin in RF.

Leo Nunez - RHP. Had 30 saves in 2010. Intense competitor. They need starters and Floyd or Jackson would fit nicely.

John Axford - RHP. Emerged as the Brewers closer in 2010. They desperately need starters and Floyd or Jackson would fit nicely.

Kyle McClellan - RHP. Sinkerballer worked in the bullpen the last 3 seasons. His ERA/WHIP has lowed each year. Also had 2 saves for the Cards in 2010.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
We all know Kenny likes to trade to acquire talent more than sign free agents. This offseason more than most I think he's willing to deal his own impact talent to shake up the make up.

Gavin Floyd

Carlos Quentin

Edwin Jackson

Tyler Flowers

Daric Barton - Young, quality lefty 1B, that can hit and get on base. Barton has walked 15.8% of the time, tops in the majors. .800 OPS in 2010. Quality glove as well.

Matt Kemp - OF. Five tool player that needs a change of scenery. Power + speed. Kenny willing to risk to acquire young, big time upside with attitude? You bet.

BJ Upton - OF. Another five tool talent that would upgrade the OF defense a ton. Power + speed. See above...

Travis Snider - OF. Young lefty hitting power prospect. Could replace Quentin in RF.

Leo Nunez - RHP. Had 30 saves in 2010. Intense competitor. They need starters and Floyd or Jackson would fit nicely.

John Axford - RHP. Emerged as the Brewers closer in 2010. They desperately need starters and Floyd or Jackson would fit nicely.

Kyle McClellan - RHP. Sinkerballer worked in the bullpen the last 3 seasons. His ERA/WHIP has lowed each year. Also had 2 saves for the Cards in 2010.

I think it's relatively impossible to know who the Sox are looking to trade. I will say that I strongly doubt Floyd will be on the block due to a cheap price tag along with being under the Sox control for 3 more years. They would have to get a huge haul for Floyd, and I don't think other teams will have enough interest in him for it to be worth the White Sox moving him. I think Danks is a far likelier candidate to be dealt.

On top of that, many of the players you have listed are going to be ridiculous hard to acquire. Billy Beane recently said that he feels that Daric Barton is the best 1Bman in the league. Matt Kemp is under control and ridiculously talented, and even if he gave the Dodgers a headache, they aren't going to give him away. BJ Upton is in the same exact boat as Matt Kemp and the Rays have a much more pressing need to keep him, as they will lose Crawford in the offseason (even if they have Jennings ready to come up). Travis Snider is under control for around another 5 years for the Blue Jays and is really good. Leo Nunez has never had a great year and, quite honestly, his peripheral statistics look a lot like Tony Pena's in Arizona. Axford looks like a very good reliever, and would cost more than it'd be worth to acquire him. I don't quite understand why the Cardinals would look to deal McClellan this offseason, considering he's their's for another 3 years, is good, is young, and they'll be competitive.

You aren't going to get a lot of those guys dealing Carlos Quentin, Edwin Jackson, or Tyler Flowers. You might if you traded Floyd, but at what cost to the Sox? Jackson and Buehrle are free agents after this season, Peavy and Danks are free agents after 2012. Floyd and Sale are the only Sox starters under contract for 2013, and, though I have no doubt there will be new starters in the rotation before then, you need to make sure you have someone there.

Nobody wants Flowers. His stock fell hard this year.

Also, most of the guys on your list are under control at a very cheap price for a few years still by their teams. If Kenny called the Dodgers and offered a package Floyd, Quentin Jackson, and Flowers he would get hung up on.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 04:35 AM)
Trading from an area of strength like starting pitching is going to open up a weakness. If we trade one of our starters, who fills in?

My problem with the staff as is is we need offense and if we make the playoffs not all five starters (assuming Peavy is healthy) would start in the playoffs, but that bat we could have acquired would. If Peavy is healthy then someone gets dealt. If Sale can start then maybe two get dealt.

Right now we have these guys that could start:

Peavy

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Jackson

Sale

Garcia?

Pena?

Only 4 of them have to be really good. The 5th can be ok or good. But we really need OBP and run production in the middle of our lineup.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
John and Jordan Danks for Gerardo Parra, Mark Reynolds, and Clay Zavada.

:)

Seriously though, I am sticking with my prediction that we get Gerardo Parra some way, some how.

Charlotte could use an outfielder.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)

Seriously though, I am sticking with my prediction that we get Gerardo Parra some way, some how.

I've never seen such an obsession with an at best 4th/5th OF. Do you even realize how awful Parra is?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)

Even though he missed this year to injury, it would be cool bringing the semi-local (Streator, IL) kid to his favorite team.

QUOTE (striker @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
My problem with the staff as is is we need offense and if we make the playoffs not all five starters (assuming Peavy is healthy) would start in the playoffs, but that bat we could have acquired would. If Peavy is healthy then someone gets dealt. If Sale can start then maybe two get dealt.

Right now we have these guys that could start:

Peavy

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Jackson

Sale

Garcia?

Pena?

Only 4 of them have to be really good. The 5th can be ok or good. But we really need OBP and run production in the middle of our lineup.

Are there four really good ones there?

QUOTE (striker @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Carlos Beltran anyone? If you get the Mets to eat alot of his salary and he's healthy then I'd take him. Who knows what direction their new GM wants to go.

I'd totally consider taking a gamble on him...if the Mets were willing to eat about 60% of his salary this year and the Sox didn't give up anyone of value. Say I'd trade Carlos Torres for Beltran and $11+ million.

The problem is...the Mets really are better off gambling on Beltran turning it back around and staying healthy this year than they are dealing him. They don't exactly have a young stud being blocked by Beltran where they'd need to dump him.

A guy that I think fits Kenny's M.O. very well and might be, at least under the radar, on the trade block...Billy Butler from the Royals. KW knows the Royals well, he's a guy who's beaten us before, he isn't hugely expensive, he has some limitations that would keep him from being a big cost guy, he tentatively fills one of those 1b/DH roles with a guy who should give around an .850 OPS, and he's blocking 2 of the Royals young guys (Kila Ka'aihue and Eric Hosmer, who has a shot to arrive this year).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
A guy that I think fits Kenny's M.O. very well and might be, at least under the radar, on the trade block...Billy Butler from the Royals. KW knows the Royals well, he's a guy who's beaten us before, he isn't hugely expensive, he has some limitations that would keep him from being a big cost guy, he tentatively fills one of those 1b/DH roles with a guy who should give around an .850 OPS, and he's blocking 2 of the Royals young guys (Kila Ka'aihue and Eric Hosmer, who has a shot to arrive this year).

Good call, especially since the Royals have previously said Kila is unavailable and Hosmer is probably untouchable for anything other than a blockbuster offer.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)
Good call, especially since the Royals have previously said Kila is unavailable and Hosmer is probably untouchable for anything other than a blockbuster offer.

The Royals spent this season saying that they weren't taking offers on Butler, but that was before they started legitimately giving Kila at bats and while Hosmer was still proving to people that he was back.

You don't trade your strength to fill some other need. There are other ways to improve the team rather than trade away our starting pitching or good talent like Quentin. I am not sure this team needs any major overhaul anyway as long as we can re sign the leaders that may go to free agency. The bullpen is where I see the major need

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)

Gavin Floyd

Carlos Quentin

Edwin Jackson

Tyler Flowers

Nice list.

As for Kenny, I think he's going to try to accomplish as much as he can via trade, and he normally heads down this route as well.

Gavin Floyd is an interesting name. How many more years is he under White Sox control?

I also wonder if Edwin Jackson may be on the block. He did pitch well, but he's a Boras guy with 1 year left on his deal. Isn't this the ideal time to move him while his value is boosted?

Looking at the White Sox heading into next year, there are open holes at catcher, 1B, 3B, and DH offensively. Obviously, some of these holes can be filled by B.Morel (can he hit enough?), resigning AJ and/or Konerko, and maybe moving Viceido to DH so it's possible that Williams goes this route to close the holes.

Pitching is what I find most interesting. They have Danks, Floyd, Jackson, Buerhle, Peavy (seems to be on track to return on time), Pena, Garcia (assuming the Sox resign him, which I wouldn't), and maybe Chris Sale. Obviously, a closer is needed with Jenks likely gone, and maybe it's Chris Sale or JJ Putz who needs to be resigned to go with Thornton and Santos in the backend of the bullpen, but with 8 possible starting candidates, I have to think Kenny Williams will move one of these guys (Jackson, Buerhle or Floyd) for either bullpen help or a RF. Obviously, Quentin can be part of a trade as well, but I think it's highly likely that Williams goes through the trade route, with Quentin and a starting pitcher, probably two trades, to add bullpen help and another bat.

QUOTE (striker @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)
Carlos Beltran anyone? If you get the Mets to eat alot of his salary and he's healthy then I'd take him. Who knows what direction their new GM wants to go.

I'd be all over that, as I was around the trade deadline. He will definitely be available, as I've read several articles saying they want to get rid of him, plus they have Pagan and Martinez (to go with Feliciano, Duda and Carter). Beltran will make a ridiculous $18.5 million next year, the last year on his contract.

How about Linebrink (or Teahen) plus a minor 'spect (Torres) for Beltran plus $4 million.

That would bring the Sox payroll hit on the trade down to a manageable $9 million, a value Beltran could live up to while playing RF (or DH).

QUOTE (spiderman @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
Gavin Floyd is an interesting name. How many more years is he under White Sox control?

I also wonder if Edwin Jackson may be on the block. He did pitch well, but he's a Boras guy with 1 year left on his deal. Isn't this the ideal time to move him while his value is boosted?

Gavin is under the Sox's control through the end of 2013 if they pick up a team option.

Edwin Jackson could be on the block...but his value is not "boosted" even by a good end of the season. He's a guy who has been dumped by 3 teams in the space of 2 years, who is 1 year away from Free Agency and a Boras guy. He can't be expected to help a team long-term, he's already not cheap, and his pitching record the last 2 years is at best described as inconsistent. Put it this way...why do you want to be the team picking up a guy that 4 teams dumped in 2 years?

They might try to trade Jackson, but they're not getting anything of serious use for him. It's a salary dump.