Trade Candidates for Kenny this offseason

macsandz

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 01:37 AM)
I seem to recall Martin being tied to PED's earlier. He went off them and lost a bunch of weight, and this past offseason he regained the weight (and I don't think it was regained in muscle).

Martin was tied to alcohol and excessive partying. After watching him last year though, I want no part of him.

If we could get him at $2-3 million a year for 1 or 2 years, I wouldn't mind him. His defense has still been good and if offense may recover a bit in the Cell. Even still, his offense wasn't much worse overall than AJ's and his defense would be better.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
Martin was tied to alcohol and excessive partying. After watching him last year though, I want no part of him.

Yuck, well that ruins it for me unless it was stemming from him wanting out of there (which doesn't really excuse that behavior as a prof. baseball player but I would take a one year risk with him).

Wonder what it would take to un-tether Nick Markakis from the Orioles. He's a terrific all-around player, a young left-handed batter who also happens to play a nifty right field. Floyd is from the Baltimore area. I wonder if some sort of package featuring him and [you fill in the blank] could bring Markakis to the South Side.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
Wonder what it would take to un-tether Nick Markakis from the Orioles. He's a terrific all-around player, a young left-handed batter who also happens to play a nifty right field. Floyd is from the Baltimore area. I wonder if some sort of package featuring him and [you fill in the blank] could bring Markakis to the South Side.

Andy Macphail has always overrated his players. (typical for a guy who came out of the Cubs org) I'll still never forget that fiasco with Brian Roberts and George Sherill. But if there's ever a time to get Markakis at his lowest value for a team, it's now. With that said, I doubt they move him.

2011 Free Agents

First basemen

Garrett Atkins (31)

Lance Berkman (35) - $15MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Russell Branyan (35) - $5MM mutual option

Jorge Cantu (29)

Adam Dunn (31) - Type B

Troy Glaus (34)

Eric Hinske (33)

Aubrey Huff (34) - Type B

Nick Johnson (32) - $5.5MM mutual option with a $250K buyout

Paul Konerko (35) - Type A

Mark Kotsay (35)

Adam LaRoche (31) - $7.5MM mutual option with a $1.5MM buyout -Type B

Derrek Lee (35) - Type B

Melvin Mora (39)

Xavier Nady (32)

Lyle Overbay (34)

Carlos Pena (33) - Type B

Robb Quinlan (34)

Fernando Tatis (36)

Mike Sweeney (37)

Ty Wigginton (33)

Right fielders

Willie Bloomquist (33)

Jermaine Dye (37)

Gabe Gross (31)

Jose Guillen (35)

Willie Harris (33)

Brad Hawpe (32) - Type B

Eric Hinske (33)

Andruw Jones (34)

Gabe Kapler (35)

Austin Kearns (31)

Jason Kubel (29) - $5.25MM club option with a $350K buyout - Type A

Gary Matthews Jr. (36)

Xavier Nady (32)

Magglio Ordonez (37) - Type A

Jayson Werth (32) - Type A

Randy Winn (37)

Designated hitters

Hank Blalock (30)

Pat Burrell (34)

Johnny Damon (37) - Type B

Jason Giambi (40)

Vladimir Guerrero (36) - $9MM mutual option with possible $1MM buyout - Type A

Jose Guillen (35)

Brad Hawpe (32) - Type B

Jason Kubel (29) - $5.25MM club option with a $350K buyout - Type A

Mark Kotsay (35)

Hideki Matsui (37) - Type B

David Ortiz (35) - $12.5MM club option - Type B

Manny Ramirez (39) - Type A

Gary Sheffield (42)

Mike Sweeney (37)

Jim Thome (40)

Re-Sign: Konerko,Putz,Vizquiel, Castro, Jones.

Bye: Kotsay, AJ, Jenks, Garcia.

Explore trade for Jackson. He was dominant while he was here, which had to raise his value.(plus short-term deal, Boras ) if not then Floyd, don't trade Danks.*

Explore trade for Quentin, Santos, or Thornton.

Sign high end (RF or DH), low-end(RP) (completely interchangeable) my thoughts: Adam Dunn & Randy Choate

*Wish we could get a mulligan on a Peavy and get Cliff Lee

Edited by pktmotion

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
Add Pena (as a starter), Danks (depending on extension), and D2 (depending on D1)

I'm looking at these teams in the playoffs.

The White Sox are light years away from the quality these teams possess.

You simply cannot get better with trades when you farm system is as woefully weak as the Sox.

Reinsdorf has painted himself into a corner with this philosophy of non-aggression when it comes to FA.

Until this paradigm changes by either Reinsdorf or a new owner (highly unlikely) get use to watching the post season as a casual observer.

We deserve more but we don't demand it.

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Re-Sign: Konerko,Putz,Vizquiel, Castro, Jones.

Bye: Kotsay, AJ, Jenks, Garcia.

Explore trade for Jackson. He was dominant while he was here, which had to raise his value.(plus short-term deal, Boras ) if not then Floyd, don't trade Danks.*

Explore trade for Quentin, Santos, or Thornton.

Sign high end (RF or DH), low-end(RP) (completely interchangeable) my thoughts: Adam Dunn & Randy Choate

*Wish we could get a mulligan on a Peavy and get Cliff Lee

The number of years committed will be dramatically different.

You're still down a catcher, and you're payroll is still incredibly high.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)

You simply cannot get better with trades when you farm system is as woefully weak as the Sox.

Reinsdorf has painted himself into a corner with this philosophy of non-aggression when it comes to FA.

Until this paradigm changes by either Reinsdorf or a new owner (highly unlikely) get use to watching the post season as a casual observer.

You really, really don't like Reinsdorf. Beyond that, I don't think you can even make an argument that the Twins, Rangers, Rays, Reds, or Braves have been very aggressive on the FA market. In fact, unless you are adding one final piece to the puzzle, building a team through free agency is something that is not advocated, because that's one way to really hurt your franchise - signing a player to a huge deal, which handicaps you from making other moves and cripples you when the player goes down with an injury. The Mets made the playoffs like, what, once? twice? after their flurry of free agent signings (and trading a bunch of nobodies for Johan Santana, and then signing him to a monstrous deal) and now they are in a world of hurt because they have like $120 million tied up between like 9 players and they aren't anywhere close to being a competitive team.

Drafting and developing talent is the best way to build your franchise up to a contender, and the White Sox haven't done that well. You can't blame Reinsdorf for that, considering Williams and company are the ones who trade them all away.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)

We simply can't get FA quality players. We lost out on Tori Hunter, Miguel Cabrera, Chone Figgins, Matsuai, even an aging Vladimir Guerrero. The only way we can get quality players is the way we aqcuired Thome, Rios, Peavy, or Carlos Quentin (not so quality Griffey Junior, Manny). Albert Belle was the last stud we go in free agency. Hell, we couldn't even get an older Johny Damon. Free Agents just don't come here.

My suggestion this year would be, bring back AJP, Paulie, & put Jordan Danks in RF. Also pull the fences at our park back to the old length, move the fences up to 12ft & jack up the right field wall to about 25ft. Start Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Jackson, & Sales and crush Minnesota. See a later twinkies, no more homers for Kubel, Mourneau, & cheap homers to Mauer in Left Center. Juan Pierre in Left, Rios in Center, & put D2 in right field. TCQ at DH & Tank at 1B.

Edited by soxfan-kwman

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)
We simply can't get FA quality players. We lost out on Tori Hunter, Miguel Cabrera, Chone Figgins, Matsuai, even an aging Vladimir Guerrero. The only way we can get quality players is the way we aqcuired Thome, Rios, Peavy, or Carlos Quentin (not so quality Griffey Junior, Manny). Albert Belle was the last stud we go in free agency. Hell, we couldn't even get an older Johny Damon. Free Agents just don't come here.

No, we didn't have the tools to trade for him.

Ludwick is up for arbitration with the Padres. Maybe we can trade for him to play right field after a disappointing offensive half with San Diego. The guy can field pretty well and he's a lock for an .800 OPS at the Cell. That has value.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 05:21 AM)
You really, really don't like Reinsdorf. Beyond that, I don't think you can even make an argument that the Twins, Rangers, Rays, Reds, or Braves have been very aggressive on the FA market. In fact, unless you are adding one final piece to the puzzle, building a team through free agency is something that is not advocated, because that's one way to really hurt your franchise - signing a player to a huge deal, which handicaps you from making other moves and cripples you when the player goes down with an injury. The Mets made the playoffs like, what, once? twice? after their flurry of free agent signings (and trading a bunch of nobodies for Johan Santana, and then signing him to a monstrous deal) and now they are in a world of hurt because they have like $120 million tied up between like 9 players and they aren't anywhere close to being a competitive team.

Drafting and developing talent is the best way to build your franchise up to a contender, and the White Sox haven't done that well. You can't blame Reinsdorf for that, considering Williams and company are the ones who trade them all away.

Regarding Reinsdorf....His biggest fault is that he is too loyal to his GM, who has sold him down the river with a high payroll, mediocre talent and barren farm system. I have always felt that fiscal responsibility had to be a hallmark of a White Sox GM working under the Chairman, but clearly, winning a world championship gets you a free pass for a very long time.

Your comment regarding drafting and development is right on...with the exception of the Yankees, most of the teams at the top this year are younger sqauds comprised of home grown players. Unless you have the ability of spending over your mistakes, adding through free agency only works when you have that great core of players. As of now, we do not.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 05:21 AM)

I think they have done that well, they just don't keep the talent around.

QUOTE (striker @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
My problem with the staff as is is we need offense and if we make the playoffs not all five starters (assuming Peavy is healthy) would start in the playoffs, but that bat we could have acquired would. If Peavy is healthy then someone gets dealt. If Sale can start then maybe two get dealt.

Right now we have these guys that could start:

Peavy

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Jackson

Sale

Garcia?

Pena?

Only 4 of them have to be really good. The 5th can be ok or good. But we really need OBP and run production in the middle of our lineup.

This was suppose to be the strength of the team. They failed. If you need more offense, that means the staff is bad and in 2010 they were. Didn't the "ace" start 0-3?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
Trading from an area of strength like starting pitching is going to open up a weakness. If we trade one of our starters, who fills in?

Pitching is very expensive when you get it from the outside. Jackson is $8M next season. I wonder how good he will be when the AL gets another look at him.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
This was suppose to be the strength of the team. They failed. If you need more offense, that means the staff is bad and in 2010 they were. Didn't the "ace" start 0-3?

Despite losing their best pitcher (Peavy) for most of the season, the Sox staff compiled a team ERA of 4.06, around the middle of the league. They didn't fail, and they weren't bad - considering that major loss to the staff, being league average in the AL in ERA is actually a pretty decent accomplishment. Since Peavy had a few good outings and seemed on track again when he was injured, if he continued pitching, you probably would have seen the Sox be better than average. Now, even with Peavy, they weren't going to be best in the league or anything - but your "fail" and "bad" characterization is a laughable overstatement.

The Sox won 88 games, so clearly their strengths outnumbered their flaws. The biggest areas where they clearly were "bad" were DH, and an ice cold April-May start for the offense in general. Then there were smaller factors, like Ozzie's coaching, Jenks' lousy pitching, Teahen's defense, AJ's s***ty hitting until late in the season, an awful decision to basically hand their chief rival a perfect fill-in for Morneau on a silver platter, and an apparent inability to get it done against a very good Twins team.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)

"Are Bad" and "Do Bad" are two different things. They did bad but I don't think they are bad.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)
We simply can't get FA quality players. We lost out on Tori Hunter, Miguel Cabrera, Chone Figgins, Matsuai, even an aging Vladimir Guerrero.

Hunter and Figgins are terrible contracts that I am glad the Sox did not get.

Cabrera was never a freee agent,

Matsui, Guerrero and Damon may have been better options than what they had but Thome would have been the best of the four but they did not fit a philosophy that the Sox wanted to go with. Money had nothing to do with it as the Sox lost a whole lot more on Manny.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
What about just letting Viciedo or some other low level play 1st base in 2011 and then sign Puljos when hes a free agent for 2012.

I can't tell if you are joking or not. If you are not, then... just keep in mind that Pujols will probably command the largest FA deal ever at that point. How likely is it that the Sox will win a bidding war, at that level, for him?

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
What about just letting Viciedo or some other low level play 1st base in 2011 and then sign Puljos when hes a free agent for 2012.

You better buy all the unsold Sox tickets for every game in 2011, cause they will need every $$$$$ of revenue they can get to even think about signing him.