Trade Candidates for Kenny this offseason

macsandz

QUOTE (striker @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
"Are Bad" and "Do Bad" are two different things. They did bad but I don't think they are bad.

They didn't live up to expectations. That was suppose to compensate for a slightly weaker offense. It doesn't appear that the offense was that weak after all.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
and an apparent inability to get it done against a very good Twins team.

That's as simple as it gets. The Twins are very good this year. They won 94 games and might have won more if they wanted too.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
That's as simple as it gets. The Twins are very good this year. They won 94 games and might have won more if they wanted too.

What does the bolded mean? You think they didn't feel like winning? They were in the chase for home field advantage all the way to the end, so it would make no sense that they weren't trying to win.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
What does the bolded mean? You think they didn't feel like winning? They were in the chase for home field advantage all the way to the end, so it would make no sense that they weren't trying to win.

Do not question someone who after 881 posts has yet to backup any of their opinions with any facts.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
We simply can't get FA quality players. We lost out on Tori Hunter, Miguel Cabrera, Chone Figgins, Matsuai, even an aging Vladimir Guerrero. The only way we can get quality players is the way we aqcuired Thome, Rios, Peavy, or Carlos Quentin (not so quality Griffey Junior, Manny). Albert Belle was the last stud we go in free agency. Hell, we couldn't even get an older Johny Damon. Free Agents just don't come here.

They lose only because other teams outbid them. I think this is where often they are a wiser organization.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)

You're right, I forgot about HFA. They were the first to clinch so I thought they would rest players, ect.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
Do not question someone who after 881 posts has yet to backup any of their opinions with any facts.

Some things don't need any facts, like this post of yours is nothing but taunting and ignorant at best.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
Some things don't need any facts, like this post of yours is nothing but taunting and ignorant at best.

Let's just stop this right here, OK?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
Getting back on topic: Ill throw my favorite tools man crush B.J. Upton into the mix. If you put that guy next to Rios and actually teach him some mental discipline; you’ll have a hell of a ballplayer. That being said it’s easier said than done.

They'd have to be blown away to deal him. He's still cheap and under control for two more years. He's only 26 and even though he's underachieved his skill-set, in particular his speed/defense, is rivaled by very few in baseball. And his power picked up considerably towards the end of the year. I'd kill for either him or Kemp. These are the kinda guys you take major gambles on. The possible reward far outweighs the risk.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
They'd have to be blown away to deal him. He's still cheap and under control for two more years. He's only 26 and even though he's underachieved his skill-set, in particular his speed/defense, is rivaled by very few in baseball. And his power picked up considerably towards the end of the year. I'd kill for either him or Kemp. These are the kinda guys you take major gambles on. The possible reward far outweighs the risk.

Upton is a guy I just don't want. He simply has a major hole in his game; he strikes out too much. He's going to be a upper .700's OPS player unless he either gets down to 120 or fewer strikeouts or he hits 40+ HR. The only way he had a really good season was to put up a ridiculously high BABIP.

You're going to hate the comparison for obvious reasons...but it's the Jordan Danks rule. If he can't cut down on the strikeouts, no matter how hard he hits the ball when he puts the bat on it, he will be an average player.

Anywho...the thing to consider on the Rays is that they have 1 OF ready to take over, and they have 1 OF departing this year. They're not going to want to replace 2 OF's. And I don't think we'd match up with them anyway, since they're pitching-loaded and they happen to be strong at 3b, which is the position where we have 1 of our top guys.

I think trading Danks for a big name bat is a decent idea... We have Sale that could fit in the 5th spot nicely, and Freddy can be backup. If Danks and some prospects can get a guy like Fielder, and leave the Sox with enough money to keep Konerko, that would be great. As much as I love Danks, I think we ought to give Sale a shot and get a more solid offense.

In a perfect world, the Sox only trade Teahen (prospects), and raise the salary to $130M.... :pray

Edited by WsoxKillCubs

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
Upton is a guy I just don't want. He simply has a major hole in his game; he strikes out too much. He's going to be a upper .700's OPS player unless he either gets down to 120 or fewer strikeouts or he hits 40+ HR. The only way he had a really good season was to put up a ridiculously high BABIP.

You're going to hate the comparison for obvious reasons...but it's the Jordan Danks rule. If he can't cut down on the strikeouts, no matter how hard he hits the ball when he puts the bat on it, he will be an average hitter.

Anywho...the thing to consider on the Rays is that they have 1 OF ready to take over, and they have 1 OF departing this year. They're not going to want to replace 2 OF's. And I don't think we'd match up with them anyway, since they're pitching-loaded and they happen to be strong at 3b, which is the position where we have 1 of our top guys.

Because he is definitely an above average player.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)

I could see them interested if they got Quentin in return. I think they are both at the same point of arbitration and Tampa Bay needs a middle of the order run producer. This could be a trade of under achievers.

QUOTE (WsoxKillCubs @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 04:34 AM)
I think trading Danks for a big name bat is a decent idea... We have Sale that could fit in the 5th spot nicely, and Freddy can be backup. If Danks and some prospects can get a guy like Fielder, and leave the Sox with enough money to keep Konerko, that would be great. As much as I love Danks, I think we ought to give Sale a shot and get a more solid offense.

In a perfect world, the Sox only trade Teahen (prospects), and raise the salary to $130M.... :pray

If I traded Danks I want a player in return that I have control of for at least two years, if not more. We'd have Fielder for 1 year, though I suppose we'd get draft picks once he signed after next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 01:55 AM)
Because he is definitely an above average player.

But not nearly as above average as his "tools" suggest he should be, and if you were trading for him...you'd still wind up paying a premium price for those "tools".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 07:24 AM)
But not nearly as above average as his "tools" suggest he should be, and if you were trading for him...you'd still wind up paying a premium price for those "tools".

I agree, and I don't think trading for Upton is worth it unless you can get him at a discount, and I don't see that happening.

I think the most likely trade candidates for us are veteran guys coming off down years.

Kenny likes rummaging through the lists of potential 'bounce-back' players and hoping he hits the lotto.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)

Give me Kemp over Upton any day of the week! Upton is nowhere near as good as he could be, and he's going to get very expensive very soon.

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
I think the most likely trade candidates for us are veteran guys coming off down years.

Kenny likes rummaging through the lists of potential 'bounce-back' players and hoping he hits the lotto.

We should start compiling a list of players that fit that profile so we know what king of garbage we'll be picking up.