Trade Candidates for Kenny this offseason

macsandz

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
Stanton would cost Beckham, Sale, Morel, and any other living body we have plus the Sox covering any cost associated with those players.

We all know Sale is going nowhere... Covering any other cost?!?...really. I'd think the Marlins would seriously consider Danks. And to get a player like Stanton...if it'd cost Beckham or Morel...so be it IMO. But Sale is probably as off limits as it gets.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
We all know Sale is going nowhere... Covering any other cost?!?...really. I'd think the Marlins would seriously consider Danks. And to get a player like Stanton...if it'd cost Beckham or Morel...so be it IMO. But Sale is probably as off limits as it gets.

Morel really isn't worth that much to other teams, he's more valuable to the Sox than he is in a trade. Beckham, with his performance thus far, is not worth Stanton. Danks will cost almost $10 million in arbitration next year and the Marlins won't pay that. Even Sale isn't worth Stanton because right now there is a huge risk of whether Sale is a front line starter or a closer.

Mike Stanton is one of the league's best young OFers, and will be under team control for the next 5 years atleast, and has proven that he can hit at the ML level already. There is no way the Sox will get him.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
Stanton would cost Beckham, Sale, Morel, and any other living body we have plus the Sox covering any cost associated with those players.

I'm not sure all those guys and prime Frank Thomas would be enough to get Stanton (I'm obviously exaggerating. But you get the point). I expect Stanton to hit 40 HRs next year at the ripe old age of 21.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
Mike Stanton is one of the league's best young OFers, and will be under team control for the next 5 years atleast, and has proven that he can hit at the ML level already. There is no way the Sox will get him.

I think that's exactly right. The Sox don't have any combination of players that could be packaged for a guy like Stanton. Really, the only things the Sox have to trade that have any significant value are Floyd, Danks, Sale, Santos, and Alexei. And none of those guys is all that valuable. The truth is that the Sox don't have much talent and what talent they do have is either well-paid (Rios) or about to cost a bunch of money (Danks).

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
I think that's exactly right. The Sox don't have any combination of players that could be packaged for a guy like Stanton. Really, the only things the Sox have to trade that have any significant value are Floyd, Danks, Sale, Santos, and Alexei. And none of those guys is all that valuable. The truth is that the Sox don't have much talent and what talent they do have is either well-paid (Rios) or about to cost a bunch of money (Danks).

If Sale goes down to AAA and dominates next year...he'd be a legit top 10 MLB prospect.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)

W.T.F.? I'll give you Santos. But the other guys?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
W.T.F.? I'll give you Santos. But the other guys?

Danks is about to start making big money, Floyd ended the season hurt, Sale's mechanics apparently scream injury-waiting-to-happen to a lot of baseball people, and Alexei is only under contract through 2012 and can't get on-base. All those guys have value, but it's not like the Sox have someone like Starlin Castro they could trade. The Sox might be able to get a rental like Fielder for one of those guys plus some other weaker stuff, but someone like Matt Kemp....I don't know.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
Danks is about to start making big money, Floyd ended the season hurt, Sale's mechanics apparently scream injury-waiting-to-happen to a lot of baseball people, and Alexei is only under contract through 2012 and can't get on-base. All those guys have value, but it's not like the Sox have someone like Starlin Castro they could trade. The Sox might be able to get a rental like Fielder for one of those guys plus some other weaker stuff, but someone like Matt Kemp....I don't know.

Alexei has arbitration years remaining after his contract ends.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
I'm not sure all those guys and prime Frank Thomas would be enough to get Stanton (I'm obviously exaggerating. But you get the point). I expect Stanton to hit 40 HRs next year at the ripe old age of 21.

dude...who knows. That have a ton of holes and you don't think they'd think about a proven like Danks with some other talent involved? Seems to me they'd be in the same boat as we are with Beckham...you really don't know what you have yet? Isn't pitching the premium here?

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
dude...who knows. That have a ton of holes and you don't think they'd think about a proven like Danks with some other talent involved? Seems to me they'd be in the same boat as we are with Beckham...you really don't know what you have yet? Isn't pitching the premium here?

It's the MARLINS, they wont pay that much for a pitcher, especially after giving up one of the top young hitters in all of baseball. They're focused on building from within, and they do a pretty damn good job that way. If they trade for someone it'll be a young and cheap commodity under team control for years to come. Beckham would probably interest them alot, but Stanton is a MUCH better player than Beckham and has a much better future.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
It's the MARLINS, they wont pay that much for a pitcher, especially after giving up one of the top young hitters in all of baseball. They're focused on building from within, and they do a pretty damn good job that way. If they trade for someone it'll be a young and cheap commodity under team control for years to come. Beckham would probably interest them alot, but Stanton is a MUCH better player than Beckham and has a much better future.

Oh but you think they'd pay for Ozzie?!?...they're moving into a new stadium soon (is it this next year). Again...who knows who has a better future. It's pure speculation at this point. If Beckham was a complete stud...would you have a problem giving him up for 2 or 3 MLB proven players?

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
Oh but you think they'd pay for Ozzie?!?...they're moving into a new stadium soon (is it this next year). Again...who knows who has a better future. It's pure speculation at this point. If Beckham was a complete stud...would you have a problem giving him up for 2 or 3 MLB proven players?

A manager is completely different from a player, Ozzie makes just a bit over $1 million and only 4 managers make more than $2 million.

Of course you cannot actually know who will be the better player, but based on talent and production thus far, Stanton >>>>> Beckham.

If Beckham was a stud, and not an average ballplayer, I would consider dealing him IF the value brought in the trade was greater than the value of Beckham and his contract. The players brought in would have to be absolute Allstars with reasonable contracts or would have to be top young talent, and even then it would have to be a few top 25 prospects because the chances of them panning out and reaching their talent is lower.

But the Sox can afford to take on salary and are WILLING to do so, the Marlins are iffy on the affordability of players and a definite "no" on taking on salary when it can be avoided.

QUOTE (striker @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
Patience. Remember, it was about this time last year that KW landed the new face of the franchise, Mark Teahen.

I'm more or less already tired of people throwing out trade ideas and players that absolutely no team in their right mind would give up. Asking if Shin Soo Choo or Mike Stanton is available is like asking the Cardinals if Albert Pujols is available.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
I'm more or less already tired of people throwing out trade ideas and players that absolutely no team in their right mind would give up. Asking if Shin Soo Choo or Mike Stanton is available is like asking the Cardinals if Albert Pujols is available.

Dude... it's October and the Sox are sitting at home. A man can dream, can't he?

I suppose this isn't a good time to propose my CQ for Carlos Gonzalez swap?

The thing is with his contract situation, he might be available.