Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
I want to try whatever works. I cannot leave my job since its very lucrative, but I want to further my education so make it into executive management someday or even just learn more about business so I can run my own successfully with confidence. Turns out my Psych degree with emphasis on child dev didnt really prepare me all that well.

Does Loyola, Roosevelt or DePaul offer night classes or continuing education classes to get a certificate or Master's degree that would be conducive to your employment or family situation?

Edited by MuckFinnesota

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
Does Loyola, Roosevelt or DePaul offer night classes or continuing education classes to get a certificate or Master's degree that would be conducive to your employment or family situation?

I believe DePaul offers weekend and/or night classes, I could be confusing their schedule with NW's though.

Roosevelt offers night classes for MBA classes. I am getting my masters in I/O psychology right now and I believe the MBA classes run along the same timeline 6-8:30 pm.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)
I believe DePaul offers weekend and/or night classes, I could be confusing their schedule with NW's though.

DePaul's part-time program is by far more flexible. They have morning, evening, and weekend classes for part-timers on top of the full-time program. It's a very customizable program.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:13 PM)
My company just revoked it. They pay for pretty much any other degree except an MBA now. Still i think they only gave us 6k a year. Its f***ing expensive. I was looking at UIC, Depaul, etc and I just cannot fathom how to pay for it. I cannot get a student loan with a full time job at my income level and I cannot afford it on my income.

If you look at some of the smaller schools in the area, there are scholarships around. I got a pretty good scholarship as well as getting 4k/year from my employer to get my MSA.

Edited by SnB

almost all of them offer night classes, if not JUST offering night classes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
How do you find those scholarships?

After I took the GMAT and applied to the schools of choice, I honestly just said. "I'd love to go to your school, but may need some assistance to make it happen." Based on my GMAT score, they gave me their max scholarship. Roughly 30% off each class. Granted it's not a top-tier school, but a masters is a masters.

Grad schools are hurting for money

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Bumping a potential good thread. It's tough being unemployed and trying to find a professional job. Anybody have a good place to look that isn't the careerbuilder/indeed/whatever else? I'm a finance major if that helps.

Are you in school? What level position are you looking for?

If you are in school or recently out of school I would see if your school has a career database website. For example, Illinois has I-Link, which is a job posting and search site for all Illinois students now. They have job postings for graduates too.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
After looking my school has no such thing. Thanks ISU for being completely worthless once again!

Do they have a career/job placement office of any sort that you could get in touch with? They may not have a fully electronic one like U of I, but sometimes you can make use of other placement services.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
After looking my school has no such thing. Thanks ISU for being completely worthless once again!

ISU has erecruiting if you haven't been on there before. They have a variety of internships/jobs

Currently, I'm going to school for Computer Information Systems with a specification in Database Management. I am into computers, always interested in more in terms of how everything works, and it pays very very well. Last year, I was just going to get certifications. Athomeboy, from everything I researched, it's best to get your basic certs like A+, Network+, etc., then pick a specific track you want to go into. Get your Microsoft Certs or Cisco as those are the ones who will pay you the best. They are tough, but you'll make very good money.

I ended up deciding on CIS personally for myself, because I want the knowledge of those certs, but I want to do more than just fix computers and such. I want to be more involved in the programming as well as the other stuff. I want to run an online banking, or flight reservation program for a major airline. So far, I only have 3.5 semesters left if you include the current one. Great thing is, I get all the programs for free. I just setup Windows Server 2008 R2 on my home computers. Fun stuff.

My company just revoked it. They pay for pretty much any other degree except an MBA now. Still i think they only gave us 6k a year. Its f***ing expensive. I was looking at UIC, Depaul, etc and I just cannot fathom how to pay for it. I cannot get a student loan with a full time job at my income level and I cannot afford it on my income.

You can get government loans that will cover most of the expenses though, can't you?

I didn't catch this earlier, but just as an FYI, student loans are not income based.

Edit: shack sorta just said the same thing, oops.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Bumping a potential good thread. It's tough being unemployed and trying to find a professional job. Anybody have a good place to look that isn't the careerbuilder/indeed/whatever else? I'm a finance major if that helps.

Having been in the full time work force out of school for well over a decade, here is what I can tell you. The best way to find jobs, in order, is...

1. Connections with people at companies you want to work for (personal, professional, networking)

2. Recruiters and headhunters

3. Campus recruitment offices (only when recently out of school, for the most part)

99. Blind applications to jobs found via the web

Since #1 is hard to make work for someone with minimal experience, I'd focus on #2. Find recruiters and headhunters and firms of those types who specialize in jobs in finance, and get in front of a recruiter there.

Yeah that is what I am finding out. I have had two interviews and both were because of connections. My problem with some of the recruiters is that I don't have any professional experience in the field, and so most don't want to touch me. It sucks because I put myself through school (two jobs at the same time in college my senior year) and employers don't seem that impressed with it. I dunno.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
If I am sending out cover letters and resumes, what is the commonly accepted/preferred model of delivery: E-Mail or Snail Mail?

Depends on the employer, but email is perfectly acceptable almost everywhere today. One thing I have been told is only send emailed documents in PDF format. Never in Word.