Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
From everything that I have heard from people higher up the chain and those in MBA programs/have gone through them, I would highly suggest getting work experience before you get an MBA.

Agreed. MBA's seem to work best when you are adding them to a resume which features a strong base of employment experience. Then "going back" for an MBA shows a desire to take the next step up.

I had a history degree and a law degree, with a lot of work experience, but no "real" job in my field for any length of time. I applied for a lot of positions in and outside of my fields of study and was often times told I was "over-qualified." Sometimes those with more degrees than experience get looked-upon as "professional students" or "theorizers" as opposed to "doers."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the commentary about the MBA - do you guys think it would be worth my while at least taking the GMAT while I am in school mode? Then maybe I could work and go back within five years (assuming that is how long scores are good for)? Or would that hurt me in the end if I chose to go into something that was more GRE related? I've heard it is more of an intelligence test as opposed to content so that is why I asked now, since I still have study skills.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
I have an bachelor's and master's in accounting and can't find a job! No intern experience is killing me I think (and the economy)

What sort of job are you looking for? I'm in the field (Deloitte) and might be able to give you some pointers. Are you looking to go into public as your first job?

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
Thanks for the commentary about the MBA - do you guys think it would be worth my while at least taking the GMAT while I am in school mode? Then maybe I could work and go back within five years (assuming that is how long scores are good for)? Or would that hurt me in the end if I chose to go into something that was more GRE related? I've heard it is more of an intelligence test as opposed to content so that is why I asked now, since I still have study skills.

I agree on the MBA comments thus far. Not much value to employers nor to you if you do not have some work experience to back it up. MBAs are great for networking and also great for mid-career changes (that's the main benefit I got from it), but the best part of the classes is the interaction with your classmates. Be wary of any MBA program where most students have limited work experience.

For me, the tough part of the GMAT was remembering math I hadn't had since high school. If you think you'd do ok, go ahead and take it, but it would be best to take a couple of practice tests first to make sure you really would do ok on it.

By the way, the last time I took the GMAT was about 6 years after the first one, and my score only declined about 10 points. I could easily have made up that 10 points by studying a little harder for it.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
I have an bachelor's and master's in accounting and can't find a job! No intern experience is killing me I think (and the economy)

I'm currently in an MSA program right now (While working full time in another field). I'm trying to figure out when to make the jump into an internship and out of my "real job". I go to a fairly small school and I know the network isn't going to be great. I also don't know how interested I am in a public firm, too many of my friends got burnt out real quick.

Overall, I'm just confused on how the hell I'm going to use this master's degree when I'm done, haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)
What sort of job are you looking for? I'm in the field (Deloitte) and might be able to give you some pointers. Are you looking to go into public as your first job?

I want to go into Forensic Accounting, so I figure a good start would be Auditing. I have heard both good and bad things about public, but given the opportunity, I would jump at it.

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)
I'm currently in an MSA program right now (While working full time in another field). I'm trying to figure out when to make the jump into an internship and out of my "real job". I go to a fairly small school and I know the network isn't going to be great. I also don't know how interested I am in a public firm, too many of my friends got burnt out real quick.

Overall, I'm just confused on how the hell I'm going to use this master's degree when I'm done, haha.

Haha so true. I did the MSA because I needed to get the 150 hours someway and UIC offered me a scholarship so of course I took it. Now I'm studying for the CPA.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
I agree on the MBA comments thus far. Not much value to employers nor to you if you do not have some work experience to back it up. MBAs are great for networking and also great for mid-career changes (that's the main benefit I got from it), but the best part of the classes is the interaction with your classmates. Be wary of any MBA program where most students have limited work experience.

For me, the tough part of the GMAT was remembering math I hadn't had since high school. If you think you'd do ok, go ahead and take it, but it would be best to take a couple of practice tests first to make sure you really would do ok on it.

By the way, the last time I took the GMAT was about 6 years after the first one, and my score only declined about 10 points. I could easily have made up that 10 points by studying a little harder for it.

I completely agree. You wait on the MBA. Get some good real world work experience and than supplement it with an MBA to help you get to that next step. And the better the program you can get into the better because right now, in this current environment, unless you are graduating from a top of the line MBA program you aren't getting much economic value considering the cost.

Another great asset for the MBA is for people not in business who work in Corporate America (as engineers, etc) and they can go back and get there MBA as they move out of the direct engineering lines and into mid and upper management roles.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 08:02 AM)
I want to go into Forensic Accounting, so I figure a good start would be Auditing. I have heard both good and bad things about public, but given the opportunity, I would jump at it.

What were you grades like? I can try to point you in the direction of some people. Unfortunately for you, I don't work in the Chicago office (So Cal instead) but I know a few people who work there.

I highly recommend public. You get the living s*** kicked out of you but the longer you can stay in it, the better off you are from a career standpoint. Definitely not a requirement and there are plenty of people that bounce real early or never go into it (within our field) who eventually make it as CFO's, etc, but in general, so much value to be gained working in public.

I can't think of many careers/places where you can move up and get the raises that they do offer in public (and this is coming from a guy who was in public at Deloitte, went to private for 2 years and am now squarely in the midst of busy season hell, haha).

The money might not be amazing in public, but you spend 3 (70-90K job waiting for you in private) or even better 5 to 7 years (100-125K+ waiting for you in private) and you will find a salary job where you make very good plus benefits and bonus. All while being in your early 30's (depending on when you graduated, etc). Not many places out there like that, imo. But it isn't for everyone.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
What were you grades like? I can try to point you in the direction of some people. Unfortunately for you, I don't work in the Chicago office (So Cal instead) but I know a few people who work there.

I highly recommend public. You get the living s*** kicked out of you but the longer you can stay in it, the better off you are from a career standpoint. Definitely not a requirement and there are plenty of people that bounce real early or never go into it (within our field) who eventually make it as CFO's, etc, but in general, so much value to be gained working in public.

I can't think of many careers/places where you can move up and get the raises that they do offer in public (and this is coming from a guy who was in public at Deloitte, went to private for 2 years and am now squarely in the midst of busy season hell, haha).

The money might not be amazing in public, but you spend 3 (70-90K job waiting for you in private) or even better 5 to 7 years (100-125K+ waiting for you in private) and you will find a salary job where you make very good plus benefits and bonus. All while being in your early 30's (depending on when you graduated, etc). Not many places out there like that, imo. But it isn't for everyone.

I had good grades, thus the scholarship to get my master's :P

But yeah, the last thing I'm worried about is my starting salary as not working equals $0 income. I need to get in somewhere so that I can get experience and prove myself.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
I have no purpose in getting my MBA other than the fact that it is a Master's degree and people might look at me over another person. The only other Master's program that my school could get me into is the MOL (Master's of Organizational Leadership), and that appears to be worthless to me as a recent graduate. The only opportunity that this is providing me is to work as an assistant in sports information and the only benefit that it will give me is that it is two years of free education. The problem is that I'm not really interested in any of the courses - yet. And I've been told that going to the same institution that you went for your undergrad is a negative thing.

My mindset is geared towards a communications related career (corporate, PR, technical writing, admissions counseling in higher education), but I have told that a Master's in that is worth nothing and the program is a bunch of bulls***.

No one will ever be able to tell you anything, will they? Get rid of your idealistic bulls*** attitude and you might, just might, start getting somewhere in your life. You want your whole life handed to you on a silver platter and all the platitudes and goodwill of not having to actually get involved in the mud. Get over yourself. Once you do that, and have a little humility, something might actually work out for you.

And don't bother responding, because I don't feel like listening to you get your panties in a wad, nor do I feel like being lectured by a young 20-something punk know-it-all (no offense to those of you that actually work to get something in your life that are a young 20-something).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
From everything that I have heard from people higher up the chain and those in MBA programs/have gone through them, I would highly suggest getting work experience before you get an MBA.

Yes. Honestly, looking at a student who gets an MBA right after undergrad, the first thing people in most businesses will think is... useless to have done that so early. And in fact most high end MBA programs won't even accept people right out of undergrad.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)

Forensic accounting, you have your master's, having trouble getting a job? Look into the FBI.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 08:53 PM)
Yes. Honestly, looking at a student who gets an MBA right after undergrad, the first thing people in most businesses will think is... useless to have done that so early. And in fact most high end MBA programs won't even accept people right out of undergrad.

Forensic accounting, you have your master's, having trouble getting a job? Look into the FBI.

Another place that hire forensic accountants are banks and investment firms (i.e. venture capitalists).

Shouldve asked in the Fall semester! I know alot of people that do this unpaid internship, it's usually part time, so like 3-4 days a week so that you can still have another paying job, and it's not the best experience but it has helped many people get internships or jobs down the road.

Let me know if you are interested and I can ask those friends for the contact info.

Kap, I didn't want to have an emotional response to what you said so I waited to do so. Keeping it short, I feel that I am doing work and I am willing to do stuff to advance into a career. I have always been torn on what it was that I really wanted to do and am real upset that I can't just pick something to work on. I'm a hard working individual who wants to do something well and be successful. After all, nothing is guaranteed in life.

So I wonder what I should do...the themes that I keep coming up with is working towards my strengths: building relationships with people, my writing ability, my desire to help people and do some sort of work that I can be proud of in terms of the results. Career tests can't yield much, so that is why I guess I should just get out there and try different things instead of diving into grad school right away.

This is why I have created opportunities and evaluated them. In the economy I can't be picky but I figured I should try and work towards something I can take pride in day in day out. I doubt this will change my image but I felt that I should say something since I didn't want to argue.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 01:31 AM)
Kap, I didn't want to have an emotional response to what you said so I waited to do so. Keeping it short, I feel that I am doing work and I am willing to do stuff to advance into a career. I have always been torn on what it was that I really wanted to do and am real upset that I can't just pick something to work on. I'm a hard working individual who wants to do something well and be successful. After all, nothing is guaranteed in life.

So I wonder what I should do...the themes that I keep coming up with is working towards my strengths: building relationships with people, my writing ability, my desire to help people and do some sort of work that I can be proud of in terms of the results. Career tests can't yield much, so that is why I guess I should just get out there and try different things instead of diving into grad school right away.

This is why I have created opportunities and evaluated them. In the economy I can't be picky but I figured I should try and work towards something I can take pride in day in day out. I doubt this will change my image but I felt that I should say something since I didn't want to argue.

The reason I get irritated is because what you say is completely contradictory of this, and sounds trite. You can make anything a positive experience if you choose to make it that way, and most of what you post has the attitude that you're above anything that might make you "look bad" or "make you feel like you're wasting your time"... remember that it's how you frame things. Always.