Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 12:49 AM)
So Ive been talking a bit about with my manager about my start time for once I graduate, so that we can both plan things out. I want to, and he's encouraging heavily, for me to pursue my MBA part time as soon as I can, like within a year of undergrad graduation to be enrolled.

That said, has anyone here taken the GMAT? How many study hours do I need to plan on? Good resources to buy?

And while we are on the subject, what opinions do you guys ahve about the B-schools in Chicago? Obviously Kellogg and Booth are top in the country, but for part time (and a more reasonable expectation) I've heard decent/good things about Depaul/Loyola/UIC. They also cost less than half of Kellogg (I could afford the extra cost, but for going within a year out of undergrad that means I would be living at home for awhile :P ).

I agree with bmags on going back that early...but if the company is pushing for it, I guess I'd consider it. Maybe I missed it, but will the company help pay at all?

GMAT isn't too bad. Take a lot of practice tests and work on your weaknesses.

IMO, the hierarchy of the MBAs in Chicago is Chicago/Northwestern, then DePaul/UIC, then Loyola. (Although I admit that I haven't really looked at this in awhile, and I think UIC has ramped up their program) It really depends on your career path and who is paying. Who wouldn't like to have an MBA from Chicago or Northwestern? I got into U of Chicago and DePaul and choose DePaul since it was more flexible and less expensive. DePaul's part time MBA has traditionally been rated pretty high, but I admit I haven't looked at the rankings in awhile. All in all, I was extremely pleased with my education at DePaul as well as the chance to network (I went back to change to a different area/industry).

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
I agree with bmags on going back that early...but if the company is pushing for it, I guess I'd consider it. Maybe I missed it, but will the company help pay at all?

IMO, the hierarchy of the MBAs in Chicago is Chicago/Northwestern, then DePaul/UIC, then Loyola. (Although I admit that I haven't really looked at this in awhile, and I think UIC has ramped up their program) It really depends on your career path and who is paying. Who wouldn't like to have an MBA from Chicago or Northwestern? I got into U of Chicago and DePaul and choose DePaul since it was more flexible and less expensive. DePaul's part time MBA has traditionally been rated pretty high, but I admit I haven't looked at the rankings in awhile. All in all, I was extremely pleased with my education at DePaul as well as the chance to network (I went back to change to a different area/industry).

I believe Notre Dame's MBA program is run in Chicago as well, and I'd put it below only Kellog and Booth.

F***.

University sends out job announcement saying that the due date for applications for their position is November 1, 2012.

I add that to my calendar...but don't realize they have the year wrong.

Realized it this morning. Just sent in my application, pointed out that the issue was that they had the wrong date so I got no reminder.

I'm hoping that they won't rule me out because I'm a couple days late by the day that they probably wanted applications, when I'm actually 361 days ahead of what their application actually said.

F***. Why didn't I see that earlier.

Edit:

Hi Brian – No problem. We probably won’t start looking at the applications until late December or early January. Thank you very much for applying for the position. Best regards, Steve

Whoof. Deep breath. Uck.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
F***.

University sends out job announcement saying that the due date for applications for their position is November 1, 2012.

I add that to my calendar...but don't realize they have the year wrong.

Realized it this morning. Just sent in my application, pointed out that the issue was that they had the wrong date so I got no reminder.

I'm hoping that they won't rule me out because I'm a couple days late by the day that they probably wanted applications, when I'm actually 361 days ahead of what their application actually said.

F***. Why didn't I see that earlier.

Edit:

Whoof. Deep breath. Uck.

Is it common for universities to put out a job announcement saying they will be accepting applications for more than a full year?

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)

Yea the company pitches in $5k a year, plus 50% of anything beyond that, so Kellogg and Booth would be tough but any other school is dirt cheap then.

I know it's early to go, but it's not because I want to change careers, it's to progress and I keep hearing from people at the company that an MBA gets you a lot more credit as a young candidate for manager.

Rankings actually aren't that important to me, because I know its Booth/Kellogg and then the field, but I do want to be in a respectable program and it seems like all of those listed are, Loyola gets more national credit from ranking publications for part time, but I know DePaul is well respected in the Chicago community. I know our CEO went to DePaul for his MBA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
I believe Notre Dame's MBA program is run in Chicago as well, and I'd put it below only Kellog and Booth.

I looked into that awhile back, they only run their executive MBA in Chicago, and that program looks for people with around 8 yrs of experience or more.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
Is it common for universities to put out a job announcement saying they will be accepting applications for more than a full year?

Rutgers has had an open position for a year and a half in their geology department. It's not common, but not unheard of.

I would never have guessed that the date went into my calendar a year from now until I saw it, my brain didn't process the 2012 when I first read the posting.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the current scenario.

I will be ending my internship with WC, a PR job where I make a lot of calls and write a lot of pitches to get the media to cover the client's news, rather soon. At CT, I will be working to do the same thing but to get coverage for the company, and will be working alongside someone who worked at Edelman. She's only contracting till the end of the year, after which I hope they hire someone to be my boss because I'm not ready to take on a role where I head a department after only three months of PR experience.

Since this job will pay hourly and I make less than I would at an entry level job, is it okay to work for 6 months to a year for this place after being hired before leaving to go elsewhere? Also take into consideration that I am taking this job because I don't know what else to pursue right now and a lot of my skills align with the position, even if I'm not convincing on the phone. I actually don't really like making calls all that much and get better results through emailing pitches. Are there any skills from an entry level job where research, data entry, social media and writing could be useful in the next stage? I'm trying to find another job in the future that won't require me cold calling at all.

And if I can't find something like that in this economy, what is a good thing to go back to school for right now? My undergrad is in business and I don't have loans to pay off.

Had a 3 day management training course this past week at work. They brought in a lawyer to discuss various legal issues and according to her a majority of recruiters, internal and external, scrub candidate's names online (i.e., facebook, twitter, etc). I know we talked about this topic a while back but I still stick to my guns and say keep your profiles private. Better be safe than sorry.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
Had a 3 day management training course this past week at work. They brought in a lawyer to discuss various legal issues and according to her a majority of recruiters, internal and external, scrub candidate's names online (i.e., facebook, twitter, etc). I know we talked about this topic a while back but I still stick to my guns and say keep your profiles private. Better be safe than sorry.

How are you liking it so far, Sqwerty?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)

Isn't there a way to still access parts of your profile even if it is set at private? I feel like I have heard about recruiters that can get around the privacy settings and still see some, if not all, of your info. I could be wrong?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
Isn't there a way to still access parts of your profile even if it is set at private? I feel like I have heard about recruiters that can get around the privacy settings and still see some, if not all, of your info. I could be wrong?

The problem is that there are just so many privacy settings it's darn near impossible to lock them all up.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)

We hear this all the time, but I always wonder, what constitutes stuff that would turn recruiters off? Like, yeah, you probably shouldn't be taking bong hits in a picture, but besides the obviously egregious stuff, what's troublesome?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
We hear this all the time, but I always wonder, what constitutes stuff that would turn recruiters off? Like, yeah, you probably shouldn't be taking bong hits in a picture, but besides the obviously egregious stuff, what's troublesome?

I would think swearing often, or just being generally obnoxious in your posts.

Think about it this way...when you're hiring someone, the only things you have to look at are 1) resume, which is most likely embellished and really doesn't give them the full picture in re: your accomplishments, and 2) the bulls*** you spew in the interview, which has become such a scripted event these days that I wouldn't be surprised if some companies start some other method of getting to know their potential employees.

But Facebook, or Twitter, or any of these other social media sites gives them a look into who you really are...which they probably feel is a much more accurate one.

So, probably not a great idea to have videos posted of you drunkenly running around shirtless and swearing at your cousins, or obnoxiously spewing obscenities about the police pepper spraying the Occupy people, or posting drunken rants about how great the new bar in town is, etc.

Just use common sense.

Anyone have good examples of recommendation letters? I was able to get two of my co-workers to agree to write letters of recommendation for me for a position I am applying for.

Ona side note: It's nice to have co-workers who are willing to write recommendation letters because they know I am being screwed over by my boss.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• 3 weeks later...

So what do you wear to an internal psuedo job interview (that's actually being called a meeting)? I have met everyone I'm interviewing with and we've discussed the opportunity already.

I feel like showing up in a suit would make me feel ridiculous.