Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 12:48 AM)
If you can't find a min wage job you aren't really looking because there are a ton of jobs avail even full time that don't pay well. As for your field, that can be difficult but might be able to give you advice if you tell us your major and field of interest, also if you can do an internship or volunteer in that field it might open the door for you into a company that could eventually hire you.

I have a degree in chemical engineering. I am willing to go anywhere in the country at the moment. I have always wanted to go into biofuels/green technologies, but if I can't do that I'm not sure what other field I would like to go into, which is part of the problem. I'm having a hard time finding open positions for a bachelors level engineer with no experience. I have tried to get into an internship before but the companies that I have spoken with say that they won't give me that opportunity because I have already graduated. Just been frustrated beyond belief that I can't get an interview with anyone in my field. I waver back and forth on the low paying jobs because some days I feel like any opportunity is worth having, and some days I feel angry that I have busted my ass to become a chemical engineer and I may have to work for peanuts. I have bills to pay(mainly student loans) and I would probably be broke if I took the low paying job anyway and just have less time and still no money, and I might forget the stuff I learned in college if I am out of engineering much longer. I don't know what to do right now.

Edited by Elgin Slim

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 10:50 PM)
I'll be moving to Austin next summer. Thanks for the help/advice guys.

I think you'll like it. If you are single, make sure you make time to engulf yourself in the music scene. Some beautiful people down there.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
I have a degree in chemical engineering. I am willing to go anywhere in the country at the moment. I have always wanted to go into biofuels/green technologies, but if I can't do that I'm not sure what other field I would like to go into, which is part of the problem. I'm having a hard time finding open positions for a bachelors level engineer with no experience. I have tried to get into an internship before but the companies that I have spoken with say that they won't give me that opportunity because I have already graduated. Just been frustrated beyond belief that I can't get an interview with anyone in my field. I waver back and forth on the low paying jobs because some days I feel like any opportunity is worth having, and some days I feel angry that I have busted my ass to become a chemical engineer and I may have to work for peanuts. I have bills to pay(mainly student loans) and I would probably be broke if I took the low paying job anyway and just have less time and still no money, and I might forget the stuff I learned in college if I am out of engineering much longer. I don't know what to do right now.

I cant believe you can't get a job in chemical engineering field. What is going on?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 03:10 AM)
I think you'll like it. If you are single, make sure you make time to engulf yourself in the music scene. Some beautiful people down there.

I cant believe you can't get a job in chemical engineering field. What is going on?

It depends on where he went to school. But even then, you'd think he would have found something by now. Chemical engineering is one of the hardest majors in the college of engineering for almost every school.

Employers do view internships as important. But honestly, you don't do jack in most internships. There's simply not enough time for the company to give you anything too difficult or lengthy. So in the end, you get stuck with some project nobody else wanted to do and your contributions end up being minimal.

Companies love it if you do have internship experience, but it's overrated and shouldn't be used as an indication of your abilities.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 03:45 AM)

Have you done informational interviews? I feel like we've had this conversation before...

But if you aren't getting real interviews then you have to be doing informational interviews just so you have a chance to talk to people.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
Have you done informational interviews? I feel like we've had this conversation before...

But if you aren't getting real interviews then you have to be doing informational interviews just so you have a chance to talk to people.

How does one get informational interviews?

Yes, we have had this conversation before, but I'm coming back because I don't know what to do anymore. There are lots of jobs for ChEs......if you have 5 years of experience. For those of us who have none, not so much. I went to IIT.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)

Yes, we have had this conversation before, but I'm coming back because I don't know what to do anymore. There are lots of jobs for ChEs......if you have 5 years of experience. For those of us who have none, not so much. I went to IIT.

Elgin...have you looked at the utility/energy industry? Companies like Shell or Exxon-Mobile or BP? Have you checked out Exelon?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)

You get informational interviews by looking up leaders in the field at places you'd dream of working at and email them to set up a time to talk for 15 or 20 mins about careers. I can send you samples of emails I sent. Some people respond, others don't. Some might only be able to answer questions via email. Remember that they are doing you a favor so take what you can get.

The goal is to get names of other people that might be worth contacting. Don't try to get a job through the person you are calling because they don't really know you. The benefit is that eventually it will allow you to tap into the unlisted job market if you call the right person at the right time. It also gives you the chance to ask people in your field for advice.

By using these interviews I was made aware of a job that was posted but I had not seen for whatever reason. I barely got my résumé in on time but that's the job I now have. I also met some people that got me involved with a nonprofit and a beer website. Frankly it helped me just get out.

A friend of mine landed a job at a big law firm by doing this. It took months before it paid off but the person he called ended up putting in his name for an opening. She made no promises but that's probably how he got an interview and he ended up with the job.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
Asking for any portion of your SSN is a red flag. I've interviewed for lots of jobs and never had that asked.

I get asked for things like that all the f***ing time, but that's when I'm applying at universities and government facilities.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
So there's a restaurant on the corner of my block that just closed down. Is there a chance in hell a guy like me with no money, no business background, and really bad credit can somehow get a hold of it?

No. But you dont want to.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 10:50 PM)
No. But you dont want to.

Yes, yes I would.

I can live without money for awhile (I know you dont start making money for awhile), and I'm passionate in my beliefs that I can run a restaurant.

Its a small little restaurant with 3 tables and 5 or 6 stools at the long counter so it's not something huge.

The guy who ran it before this past one flamed out was there for 36 years before he retired to Greece so there's some success to be had in the location despite the bad neighborhood.

BTW I've seen about every episode of Diners, Drive ins, and Dives and Eat St. and I can't count the number of times where I heard someone say they had no culinary or business background. But those people probably had $$$.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
Yes, yes I would.

I can live without money for awhile (I know you dont start making money for awhile), and I'm passionate in my beliefs that I can run a restaurant.

Its a small little restaurant with 3 tables and 5 or 6 stools at the long counter so it's not something huge.

The guy who ran it before this past one flamed out was there for 36 years before he retired to Greece so there's some success to be had in the location despite the bad neighborhood.

BTW I've seen about every episode of Diners, Drive ins, and Dives and Eat St. and I can't count the number of times where I heard someone say they had no culinary or business background. But those people probably had $$$.

With all due respect, you have absolutely no idea how to run a restaurant or any other business. Restaurants fail at an incredibly high rate, even amongst those that actually know what they are doing. I apologize if this sounds harsh, but it is a terrible idea. As someone who spends a lot of time around entrepreneurs, the #1 success factor for an entrepreneur is an understanding of the business they are entering.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)
Yes, yes I would.

About 1/10 succeed. Not trying to kill your dream, but the vast majority of the time they are a terrible investment.

It's not gonna happen because I don't have the money nor would I be likely to get approved for a loan but given the opportunity I'd take it in a second.

This particular spot would be a one man band, I'd run everything, I'd be the only employee. So I wouldn't have to worry about paying anyone but myself.

I'd just have to budget the bills and cost of food. (

I'd love the opportunity.

At one point I was actually under the impression that I would assist in running a pizza place so I took to facebook to generate some buzz and thats something I'd wanna implement into my business if i were to ever run one. I know a guy who's got a printer/cutter or whatever who can print me out business cards for bottom dollar and I wanna give those out with every order and the link to my facebook page and influence them to give me some feedback. Me, the guy that just made their food, bonding with them gives them a bit of familiarity and sense of comfort in coming back time and time again.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 12:20 AM)
It's not gonna happen because I don't have the money nor would I be likely to get approved for a loan but given the opportunity I'd take it in a second.

This particular spot would be a one man band, I'd run everything, I'd be the only employee. So I wouldn't have to worry about paying anyone but myself.

I'd just have to budget the bills and cost of food. (

I'd love the opportunity.

At one point I was actually under the impression that I would assist in running a pizza place so I took to facebook to generate some buzz and thats something I'd wanna implement into my business if i were to ever run one. I know a guy who's got a printer/cutter or whatever who can print me out business cards for bottom dollar and I wanna give those out with every order and the link to my facebook page and influence them to give me some feedback. Me, the guy that just made their food, bonding with them gives them a bit of familiarity and sense of comfort in coming back time and time again.

that alone shows you that you have very little concept of how a restaurant works. you CAN'T be the chef, the guy who takes the money, and the manager all in one. what happens when a guest has an issue with something but can't find you cuz you're cooking? or what's to stop people from walking out without paying cuz you're busy in the back doing something else? beyond that, how are you going to work 12 hours days 7 days a week, 365/year? that's impossible.

I absolutely believe you can do whatever you dream for yourself - HOWEVER you also have to learn everything you possibly can about implementing said dream before you do it, or you're gonna go down in a ball of flames.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)
that alone shows you that you have very little concept of how a restaurant works. you CAN'T be the chef, the guy who takes the money, and the manager all in one. what happens when a guest has an issue with something but can't find you cuz you're cooking? or what's to stop people from walking out without paying cuz you're busy in the back doing something else? beyond that, how are you going to work 12 hours days 7 days a week, 365/year? that's impossible.

I absolutely believe you can do whatever you dream for yourself - HOWEVER you also have to learn everything you possibly can about implementing said dream before you do it, or you're gonna go down in a ball of flames.

For the most part thats how it was done for 36 years, good ol' George was a one man band. The cooking area is right out in front of everyone.

He did have one girl work for him for a little while but for the most part it was only him, he was open 10-7 Mon-Sat. The hours would be the least of my worries, esp since I'd have a 1 minute commute.

I'd probably go ahead and bring a friend/partner in to help out and then gauge whether I can handle it myself.

As you know Reddy I'm a big guy and Georges Gyros has a lot to do with that lol. I've spent many a hours in there just talkin to George while I smash a delicious gyro plate and a chocolate shake that he eventually hooked up for free.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 05:47 AM)
For the most part thats how it was done for 36 years, good ol' George was a one man band. The cooking area is right out in front of everyone.

He did have one girl work for him for a little while but for the most part it was only him, he was open 10-7 Mon-Sat. The hours would be the least of my worries, esp since I'd have a 1 minute commute.

I'd probably go ahead and bring a friend/partner in to help out and then gauge whether I can handle it myself.

As you know Reddy I'm a big guy and Georges Gyros has a lot to do with that lol. I've spent many a hours in there just talkin to George while I smash a delicious gyro plate and a chocolate shake that he eventually hooked up for free.

Can you cook? Can't you get somebody to back you?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 12:47 AM)

It sounds like you've got the work ethic and the passion for it. That's awesome! Those are essential. However, you need to learn everything you can. If you are really serious about it, don't just learn by conversation, learn by doing. Know how everything works, know all the costs, know all the problems...then, you can think about actually doing it.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 12:47 AM)

Ok, this seems obvious to me...if you really have such a passion for this, why don't you try and get a job as a cook in one of these places in your neighborhood? Ask George and George's Gyros if he would give you 20 hours a week. He can train you to work in the kitchen and you can learn some of the ropes...that way you can get an idea of whether you really want to do this with your life instead of trying to own your own place with no experience.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 03:44 AM)
Can you cook? Can't you get somebody to back you?

Hell ya I can cook, I used to have "Dinner parties" every other week when I was working. My pulled pork is to die for, I make a mean country fried chicken/steak with scratch made white gravy, and my chilli is just flat out amazing.

I cooked at a bowling alley for 2 years where I was a "One man band" like I would be at the place on the corner. It can be overwhelming at times but I work well under pressure.

As far as someone backing me, I assume it'd cost a pretty penny to start up and for me thats just not likely. The equipments still in the building (as far as I know) so it wouldn't be as much as starting fresh but I assume it'll still be 30k+ to start it up....I think my best/only bet would be to find someone, a partner, preferably someone with a business background, with good credit who would be willing to get a loan. Right now I don't know that person and I'm not sure how to find that person.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
It sounds like you've got the work ethic and the passion for it. That's awesome! Those are essential. However, you need to learn everything you can. If you are really serious about it, don't just learn by conversation, learn by doing. Know how everything works, know all the costs, know all the problems...then, you can think about actually doing it.

I truly do have a passion for it, it's something I'd love to do and think I can succeed at. I've got a pretty good personality and I'm open to talking to everyone (Why I was named Team Leader at my last security job) and I think thats a big key in bringing people back, making them feel at home... Great food and great customer service is key IMO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
Ok, this seems obvious to me...if you really have such a passion for this, why don't you try and get a job as a cook in one of these places in your neighborhood? Ask George and George's Gyros if he would give you 20 hours a week. He can train you to work in the kitchen and you can learn some of the ropes...that way you can get an idea of whether you really want to do this with your life instead of trying to own your own place with no experience.

You missed the part where George retired to Greece. He sold George's Gyro's to some people who recently had to close down and now it's for sale. Since its literally 5 houses away from me I went to the new business a few times and the food was terrible and the customer service was equally terrible. No small talk and the guy barely spoke english, when you're right there in front of the customers the whole time I think you should at least attempt to engage in some kinda small talk and not just stand there.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
You missed the part where George retired to Greece. He sold George's Gyro's to some people who recently had to close down and now it's for sale. Since its literally 5 houses away from me I went to the new business a few times and the food was terrible and the customer service was equally terrible. No small talk and the guy barely spoke english, when you're right there in front of the customers the whole time I think you should at least attempt to engage in some kinda small talk and not just stand there.

Ok, well try and get a job at another restaurant then?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
Ok, well try and get a job at another restaurant then?

I've worked for a bowling alley restaurant for 2 years lol....i know its completely different because all the food was frozen but ive also been the cook at my house for the last 5 or 6 years....often times cooking for 7

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
I got a text from my wife asking me if I had ever applied for a job in Sun Prairie, Wis. I told her that I couldn't remember ever applying for anything there but it's been a long time since I've applied for a job anywhere.

She gave me the name and number of the person that called and it's a number out of Baltimore, MD. I called it and he said he has a position with a substantial salary (about 30% more than what I'm making now) plus medical and relocation costs. The city is only about an hour from my house so I don't think I'd need the relocation costs but it sounds interesting.

He sent me an email with a few basic questions and 3 different open positions. One of the questions is asking for the last 4 digits of my SS#. Then he called me back 20 minutes after he sent the email to see if I had responded yet.

He told me the name of the company but I cannot find a location for them in Wisconsin. They are a company based out of India and are actually a part of HP. The guy I spoke with had a very thick Indian accent.

I'm just getting a weird vibe from this. It's odd that he would just call me out of the blue like that. I'm guessing he found my resume on one of the job search sites or something but I haven't been actively looking for a couple of years. Not quite sure how to proceed. I read some reviews about working for the company and they are listed as a solid "OK". Not good, not bad.

So Friday morning the guy called my house twice, emailed me once and called my cell phone once. I emailed him back with a single question and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm guessing this isn't legit.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 12:33 AM)
I have received calls from recruiters about contract-to-hire positions but the first person I dealt with in that aspect did nothing for me. They called me in August about the job, and I still haven't heard whether I was even considered for the position that they had an opening for.

I've gotten this a lot. See above. Surprisingly, the job I have now I got from a recruiter, so they do come through sometimes.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
You get informational interviews by looking up leaders in the field at places you'd dream of working at and email them to set up a time to talk for 15 or 20 mins about careers. I can send you samples of emails I sent. Some people respond, others don't. Some might only be able to answer questions via email. Remember that they are doing you a favor so take what you can get.

I've heard this advice before but it has never worked for me. Mostly because I have no idea what companies use the programming languages that I'm familiar with. Before I came here, I would have never guessed that the company I'm with now has a team of programmers based on what the company actually does.

The company I was with before dealt with magazine subscriptions. One I interviewed with made plastic containers. Another company I know of makes chocolates. None of them are technology-based companies. So it's a real crap-shoot for me.