Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 01:13 AM)
It seems he has the dream and the passion for cooking but isn't willing to simply get a job as a chef to learn the ropes and mingle with experienced people to make some contacts and learn how George's Giros might make it under his direction.

Second city, what's the hurry? You need a job and if you can cook, you can get a job I'd think at any of many places. Then you can learn the ins and outs of the food preparation business. One man running George's Gyros and ordering all the ingredients and doing all the cleaning of the stoves and floors and bathrooms and making sure everything is refrigerated and fresh and making sure your customers are satisfied ... it seems you'd need at least five people. No many can work every day of the calendar year cooking and taking care of all those duties.

And you even said you'd like to take orders from the hospital. Let's say some family visiting their dad at the hospital takes you up on it and you get 10 orders from one large family via phone. Just taking the orders via phone, making the orders during lunch hour (with other people wanting to be served) and getting all that done in a reasonable amount of time is a daunting task. The hospital is so close, what if one day you get 25 orders at lunch time and that day you happen to have five customers waiting in line wanting food.

You need at least a handful of people to have a shot at not having a heart attack the first month.

It seems to me you want a business to be run on your own terms. Enough customers to make a living, but not too many customers for one man to handle.

Can you imagine the hassles of not having enough beef one day whereas you can only serve chicken? I despise going to restaurants when they are out of certain things.

I think you could run the place as a one-man operation if you got 5 orders from the hospital per day, five customers during lunch hour, five customers during dinner hour. Would 15 orders a day be enough to pay the rent? What do you do if you get 100 orders one day and 2 the next?

Ive said this countless times... The hurry is there's a location I want 5 seconds from my house.

I wouldn't need no 5 people at this location, George had 1 employee who was rarely there and she looked like a crack head, I don't think she was doing much of anything except cooking. It's a small hole in the wall in a bad location, I'd love to have the problem of being over worked because business is poppin.

Like I've said in the past, I wanna run a food truck, but this restaurant would be pretty much the same thing with the small crews. I wanna be in the spotlight, I love people, I love talking to people, I don't wanna be cooped up on a line somewhere. I'd rather do security work over that and just save up the money for a food truck that way.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 05:34 AM)
Just filled out 'dream job' application with UPS for their flight department HQ in Louisville, KY. Wish I knew someone there to help me out. Oh well crossing fingers.

What are the job duties and pay?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
What are the job duties and pay?

greg, this is an entry position that hopefully will lead to becoming an aircraft dispatcher for UPS Airline

An Aircraft Dispatcher shares equal and joint responsibility with the pilot in command for the safety and operational control of the flight, in a very broad statement.

No idea about the money for this position specifically but aircraft dispatcher for major airlines (United / AA / Delta etc) get up to six figures way before retirement time.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
Ive said this countless times... The hurry is there's a location I want 5 seconds from my house.

I wouldn't need no 5 people at this location, George had 1 employee who was rarely there and she looked like a crack head, I don't think she was doing much of anything except cooking. It's a small hole in the wall in a bad location, I'd love to have the problem of being over worked because business is poppin.

Like I've said in the past, I wanna run a food truck, but this restaurant would be pretty much the same thing with the small crews. I wanna be in the spotlight, I love people, I love talking to people, I don't wanna be cooped up on a line somewhere. I'd rather do security work over that and just save up the money for a food truck that way.

If you really believe it will sell in fewer than 3 months, then I would suggest passing on this opportunity because today, and even 3 months from now, the chance you will fail is far, far greater than it is that you will succeed.

If you really believe it will succeed and you can find a way to afford it, then do it. We're just anonymous faceless people sitting behind a computer. From personal knowledge, I don't believe you would fare well, but if you truly, truly believe and think you'll succeed, then do it.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:34 PM)
Just filled out 'dream job' application with UPS for their flight department HQ in Louisville, KY. Wish I knew someone there to help me out. Oh well crossing fingers.

You often don't hear "dream job" and UPS in the same sentence... but good luck!

Can't help you with UPS, but can help you look for a place to live and get acquainted with Louisville if you do land the job. Good luck!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
If you really believe it will sell in fewer than 3 months, then I would suggest passing on this opportunity because today, and even 3 months from now, the chance you will fail is far, far greater than it is that you will succeed.

If you really believe it will succeed and you can find a way to afford it, then do it. We're just anonymous faceless people sitting behind a computer. From personal knowledge, I don't believe you would fare well, but if you truly, truly believe and think you'll succeed, then do it.

I really believe I would succeed, but thats just me. As you can tell, even from posting about my beloved Chicago White Sox I'm an extreme optimist and thats where my belief in succeeded is coming from. George's Gyros was around forever and had no social media influence, I think that right there tells me success could be had at this location. The place that failed, didn't have a social media influence either, and the food and customer service sucked which is why I think they failed. When you go into a restaurant you wanna feel welcome, you wanna feel at home, and if you don't feel that and the food sucks chances are you're not gonna wanna come back.

I feel my menu plan is pretty solid in offering people a choice, I feel my food will be fantastic, my customer service will make people feel welcome and want to come back, getting the hospital and police station involved is a smart move, and getting it involved in social media will be a huge boost over what was there before.

If I could find someone to invest that knows how to balance the checkbook there's no doubt in my mind I can be successful....but like I said thats just my attitude.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
I really believe I would succeed, but thats just me. As you can tell, even from posting about my beloved Chicago White Sox I'm an extreme optimist and thats where my belief in succeeded is coming from. George's Gyros was around forever and had no social media influence, I think that right there tells me success could be had at this location. The place that failed, didn't have a social media influence either, and the food and customer service sucked which is why I think they failed. When you go into a restaurant you wanna feel welcome, you wanna feel at home, and if you don't feel that and the food sucks chances are you're not gonna wanna come back.

I feel my menu plan is pretty solid in offering people a choice, I feel my food will be fantastic, my customer service will make people feel welcome and want to come back, getting the hospital and police station involved is a smart move, and getting it involved in social media will be a huge boost over what was there before.

If I could find someone to invest that knows how to balance the checkbook there's no doubt in my mind I can be successful....but like I said thats just my attitude.

you've made this exact post over and over again in this thread while ignoring a lot of the advice we're giving you.

that said, if you'd rather run a food truck, and you're good with working security till you can afford one, then by all means do that! (though I'm not sure how much you'll be able to actually SAVE working as a security guard)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
you've made this exact post over and over again in this thread while ignoring a lot of the advice we're giving you.

that said, if you'd rather run a food truck, and you're good with working security till you can afford one, then by all means do that! (though I'm not sure how much you'll be able to actually SAVE working as a security guard)

I've read food trucks are even more difficult to profit from than restaurants.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
I've read food trucks are even more difficult to profit from than restaurants.

i'd imagine so. especially if you're not in a major metropolitan area and get lots of foot traffic.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)

There's more to running even a small little place like this than balancing a checkbook, but I've said enough. I won't touch this again.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)

How else am I to respond to what wite said?

I'm not ignoring anything, I hear you guys.

Yes, I agree the route that should be taken is from the bottom to the top of the food business. I'm asking for too much right off the bat. This is just a "dream location" and thats why I even brought it up, and I truly believe I can be successful at this spot. This house I'm living in now is already willed to me, it's paid off, my family has been in it since the 30's, so how sweet would it be to run the business 5 seconds away? Pretty flippin sweet.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)

Yes, I agree the route that should be taken is from the bottom to the top of the food business. I'm asking for too much right off the bat. This is just a "dream location" and thats why I even brought it up, and I truly believe I can be successful at this spot. This house I'm living in now is already willed to me, it's paid off, my family has been in it since the 30's, so how sweet would it be to run the business 5 seconds away? Pretty flippin sweet.

If you want it this bad, do a quick business plan and find an investor. Find out how much the building and parking lot cost maybe you can get a loan since you are a homeowner or have a home willed to you.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)

The #1 thing investors look for is knowledge of the business / industry. You don't have it. If your passion can't lead you to learn and develop a plan on how to succeed, then it is only going to lead you to failure. Chances are that location you want to buy will turn over 10 more times in the next 3 years. You'll have your time, if you really want it to happen. I know others have given their advice, but I see this stuff every single day. Even the entrepreneurs with great plans realize that even the best plan doesn't survive first contact with the real world, but at they are prepared for it. All we see and hear about are the entrepreneurs that become huge successes. Nobody ever talks about those that fail miserably and lose everything. You've got what it takes; just do it the right way. Everyone in this thread wants to see you become a huge success; just give yourself the best chance to succeed.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 03:44 AM)
The #1 thing investors look for is knowledge of the business / industry. You don't have it. If your passion can't lead you to learn and develop a plan on how to succeed, then it is only going to lead you to failure. Chances are that location you want to buy will turn over 10 more times in the next 3 years. You'll have your time, if you really want it to happen. I know others have given their advice, but I see this stuff every single day. Even the entrepreneurs with great plans realize that even the best plan doesn't survive first contact with the real world, but at they are prepared for it. All we see and hear about are the entrepreneurs that become huge successes. Nobody ever talks about those that fail miserably and lose everything. You've got what it takes; just do it the right way. Everyone in this thread wants to see you become a huge success; just give yourself the best chance to succeed.

Great great post. Makes too much sense.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)

Definitely, if you are passionate about it and think you are weighing the cons with the pros, go for it. But please before you take any action, go take a part time job at a restaurant you admire.

So...I've only been in my current role formally for about 6 months...but I have been approached about a new opportunity...it's fairly exciting but pretty risky...potential for big time success but also failure. Will involve pretty regular exposure to senior execs. Current job is pretty cushy after a lot of big initial challenges...a bit hesitant to give it up, but also afraid of getting bored.

Take the risk or stick with the cush?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
I get the feeling 2ndcitysaint doesn't want to be in $150k debt either...:)

If it means I gave it my all and still failed I'll take that burden.

BTW, they finally called me back but I wasn't home and he didn't wanna discuss numbers on voicemail...he did say the building is FOR RENT, and not for sale. Correct me if im wrong but a building for rent should come a lot cheaper than it being for sale. It would be just like renting a house correct?

I called him back with no answer.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
Correct me if im wrong but a building for rent should come a lot cheaper than it being for sale. It would be just like renting a house correct?

The fact that you don't understand some of the absolute basics of starting a business shows me that you're in way over your head. Take the gobs of advice you've received in here and take your time.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
The fact that you don't understand some of the absolute basics of starting a business shows me that you're in way over your head. Take the gobs of advice you've received in here and take your time.

Lol its a simple one time question that I'll get answered over the phone anyway. I'm gonna do it if I can, there's no question. I guess I shouldn't have even brought it up...I'm gonna try to leave this alone until something happens.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
If it means I gave it my all and still failed I'll take that burden.

BTW, they finally called me back but I wasn't home and he didn't wanna discuss numbers on voicemail...he did say the building is FOR RENT, and not for sale. Correct me if im wrong but a building for rent should come a lot cheaper than it being for sale. It would be just like renting a house correct?

I called him back with no answer.

Not really. Commercial leases are different than residential. The actual rent isnt the issue. It's understanding how the terms apply to a business. There's an understanding under the law that you have the necessary background or support to understand the terms.

By the way, you should also realize that you will need permits and licenses and inspections to sells food. These will take time even after you have the space. You will likely be responsible under the lease to have the space up to code for your purposes.