Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)
Any identity management experts out there that want to work in Chicago?

I bet I'm the only one on this site that works in Identity and Access management =)

I wouldn't necessarily call myself an expert, but I'm good, got some leads at your company Rock?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
I bet I'm the only one on this site that works in Identity and Access management =)

I wouldn't necessarily call myself an expert, but I'm good, got some leads at your company Rock?

Nah company downtown. Location would be right next to ogilvy.

If you are a hiring manager, how do you notify interviewees that they didn't get the job:

A. Call from yourself to inform them

B. Email from yourself to inform them

C. Call/email from HR person to inform them

D. No contact at all

Now, I'm not talking about the larger pool of people who applied, just the smaller pool of people who actually made it to an interview with the hiring manager. As a hiring manager, I always do (A), but as an interviewee, I can't remember the last time I received anything other than © or (D), with (D) being far more frequent.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
If you are a hiring manager, how do you notify interviewees that they didn't get the job:

D. No contact at all

Now, I'm not talking about the larger pool of people who applied, just the smaller pool of people who actually made it to an interview with the hiring manager. As a hiring manager, I always do (A), but as an interviewee, I can't remember the last time I received anything other than © or (D), with (D) being far more frequent.

I did B....I think A just ends up being awkward for all parties involved, and I think a more truthful explanation can be made in writing.

Just my two cents.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)

D. No contact at all

I am not a hiring manager, but D is by far the most typical. Honestly, as a part of any interview I ask what the next steps are, and how long they anticipate them taking. I usually wait until a little bit after the time frame, and then email whoever my contact person is. Most times, they don't even bother answering.

D. No contact at all

B

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
I am not a hiring manager, but D is by far the most typical. Honestly, as a part of any interview I ask what the next steps are, and how long they anticipate them taking. I usually wait until a little bit after the time frame, and then email whoever my contact person is. Most times, they don't even bother answering.

I’m going through this now and it’s beyond maddening. It’s almost insulting.

Edited by Iwritecode

D. No contact at all

I have always done A. I have hired often enough over the last 20 years, bit not so often that it can't be done. it sucks, but I figure I wanted to know if the answer was no, so I made sure I let everyone know. I am with you, during the year I was unemployed, I think I heard back in person from MAYBE 3 or 4 of the 100 that I had interviewed with. You can probably add another 20 or so that i got an email, the rest was nothing, unless I chased them down for an answer.

I'm totally content with an email. It's >>>>>>>>> option D where I don't know. The level of disrespect I find in #D is incredible. I'm ok with being told no. Give me the dignity of telling me. Out of the places where I've interviewed, I would re-apply for the places that respectfully told me no. I will not re-apply to the place that left me with silence.

I'm totally content with an email. It's >>>>>>>>> option D where I don't know. The level of disrespect I find in #D is incredible. I'm ok with being told no. Give me the dignity of telling me. Out of the places where I've interviewed, I would re-apply for the places that respectfully told me no. I will not re-apply to the place that left me with silence.

Yeah, I find myself having a lesser opinion of companies that just refuse to tell me anything.

D. No contact at all

C because it's company policy. Option D is really unprofessional and shady.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
I declined the counter. I need to not have the stress in my life.

That was the smart thing to do. The rule of thumb is to always decline the counter. You will be perceived as disloyal, and ready to flee at any moment. Many counters are just to get you to stay until they find your replacement. If you have a staff, probably lock them in, and screw you over.

Many years ago, I accepted a counter offer. When I received my next check, it was a little light. I went to the dope that gave me the offer, and he told me the amount of my check was correct as far as he was concerned.

IIRC, 70% of people who accept counter offers, at least those wiling to share, are no longer employed by that company within 1 year, and it is over 90% in 2 years.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
Yeah, I find myself having a lesser opinion of companies that just refuse to tell me anything.

I would think no one would have a problem with the first 3 . It takes a minute to write an email, and you can copy and paste the same message to all the candidates. I have never understood why some companies leave people hanging.

My wife is on a hiring committee. Her company had some blind ad in the Tribune many years ago, and she brought home the mail. People sent their resumes and cover letters, and she was rifling through them like one would when they dropped something in the trash. She was looking for one specific thing on their resume. I was part amused watching her do this, and part sickened, thinking how much time some spent applying for this job, having someone not read your letter and spend about 2 seconds on your resume.

I would never expect a resonse from a blind ad.

I would think no one would have a problem with the first 3 . It takes a minute to write an email, and you can copy and paste the same message to all the candidates. I have never understood why some companies leave people hanging.

My wife is on a hiring committee. Her company had some blind ad in the Tribune many years ago, and she brought home the mail. People sent their resumes and cover letters, and she was rifling through them like one would when they dropped something in the trash. She was looking for one specific thing on their resume. I was part amused watching her do this, and part sickened, thinking how much time some spent applying for this job, having someone not read your letter and spend about 2 seconds on your resume.

I would never expect a resonse from a blind ad.

I'm not talking about getting a response just from the application. I'm talking about when you've actually made it to being interviewed. At that point there generally aren't more than 5-10 candidates for the job. You can take the time to call or send an e-mail to 10 people.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)
I'm not talking about getting a response just from the application. I'm talking about when you've actually made it to being interviewed. At that point there generally aren't more than 5-10 candidates for the job. You can take the time to call or send an e-mail to 10 people.

Agreed. I don't expect anything from just sending in a resume. After an interview? Yes, they should take the two seconds to send a "thanks, but" email.