Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

Had a phone interview on Friday for a job in Arizona and took an online test yesterday, which I'm pretty confident I did well at. They said they will assess and get back to me.

Fingers crossed that I have experienced my last Chicago winter as I move to Phoenix.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
A month and a half in - I made the right call. Seeing now how a real organization is run has opened my eyes. They were in desperate need of marketing, and I think this will be a long relationship. Just based on the first 1.5 months, they've now just signed a lease on a new space of the building we're in and are letting me expand the marketing team and run things from a separate office. That didn't take long.

Life is good. Baby on the way. Stress from the job is minimal - only focused on what needs to be done work-wise and not about a million things out of my control. I loved my last job, and this one is wayyyyyy better.

A year after this post. Definitely the right call. New job, baby, new house and still alive. Today I got a $30,000 bonus. Huzzah!!

That's awesome congrats!

I will be taking that exam down the road. How did you study and how tough was the test?

I took a five day "boot camp" class that was entirely aimed at passing the exam. Mine was paid for by my employer, so I don't know the exact cost but I'm guessing about $2K.

After the class, I put in about 2 hours of studying for two days and then 4 hours the night before the test. I really didn't have time to study more and only passed at the minimum level.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 07:57 AM)
I took a five day "boot camp" class that was entirely aimed at passing the exam. Mine was paid for by my employer, so I don't know the exact cost but I'm guessing about $2K.

After the class, I put in about 2 hours of studying for two days and then 4 hours the night before the test. I really didn't have time to study more and only passed at the minimum level.

What do you call a guy who barely passed the PMP? A certified project manager!

Nice to see some positives in this thread!

I have a phone call setup with a recruiter for an IT Advisory position in my area, I haven't gone through these with a recruiter in the past, what should I expect? Is it just gauging my experience and interest in the job?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 06:27 AM)
What do you call a guy who barely passed the PMP? A certified project manager!

I did a lot of project management over the course of the last year as the lead on a very large project we undertook in our department.

Props to all you project managers out there! You've got extraordinary amounts of patience, you are incredibly persistent and resilient, and a willingness to painstakingly insist that all the various t's are crossed and i's are dotted.

I'm a "big picture" guy and so I struggle to manage all the details. Very pleased to have that hat removed from my head this year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 06:55 PM)
I did a lot of project management over the course of the last year as the lead on a very large project we undertook in our department.

Props to all you project managers out there! You've got extraordinary amounts of patience, you are incredibly persistent and resilient, and a willingness to painstakingly insist that all the various t's are crossed and i's are dotted.

I'm a "big picture" guy and so I struggle to manage all the details. Very pleased to have that hat removed from my head this year.

A good project manager makes your work so much easier to maintain, any other type of PM makes your life a living hell. ;)